Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stock KWs vs Robi Spec'd KWs

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock KWs vs Robi Spec'd KWs

Wondering if anyone here has compaired the stock KWs to Robi spec'd. Thinking of sending him mine and buying his rollbar and set up.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:03 PM

I have the robi spec streets v3's and his rear sway bar, I love it.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the reply (I know there is more than this that have this setup (please comment guys)

You guys in Cali have pretty smooth roads don't you? I was wondering 1) how it compares to the OEM GSR set up 2) how it functions as a DD and 3) how the set up compares on track/autocross.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:04 PM

Robispec KW's

I have Robispec KW clubsports on my X
Also purchased from Robi:
Front roll center kit
Rear sway bar 26mm
Enkei NT03+M 9.5X18+40

Nitto NT05's purchased elsewhere.

Aligned and corner balanced...

Two words: Totally awesome!

I'll be posting up my critique once I have a chance to run them in autoX or on the track!
Old May 25, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jimm
Wondering if anyone here has compaired the stock KWs to Robi spec'd. Thinking of sending him mine and buying his rollbar and set up.
I believe the Robi Spec ones use different springs (On the EVO 8/9 it was something like 8k front 9k rear - though he could use whatever you wanted - as opposed to the 9K front and 6K rears the KWs come with) and custom valving to account for the different springs.

Most trackers and autocrossers will tell you that you need the stiffer springs in the rear to help the car rotate. But most coilover companies will put the stiffer springs in the front to induce understeer to keep it "safe".

There is no doubt that the Robi versions would be better setup for track and/or autocross than the stock KWs. As for daily driving, plenty of people dd on coilovers with equally stiff springs. Compared to OEM I'm sure youll notice they are stiffer but if the roads are pretty smooth where you are, it should be too much of an issue.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; May 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Most trackers and autocrossers will tell you that you need the stiffer springs in the rear to help the car rotate. But most coilover companies will put the stiffer springs in the front to induce understeer to keep it "safe".
I'd argue that a lot of coilover companies put stiffer spring up front on the EVO because they're clueless or simply not trying.

Luckily, KW did get the rates down fairly well for the X. My advice is to definitely consider support after the sale with whatever coilover you get....Robi gets points there for sure.

- Andrew
Old May 25, 2009, 10:34 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

original question is good becuase you can pickup a set of KW V3 for the X for about $1900. Whereas Robi's are $2400. That's quite a bump in price. So I too am wondering whether or not its worth the extra $500. Why can't KW make a similar setup?
Old May 25, 2009, 10:35 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IX2X
I have Robispec KW clubsports on my X
Also purchased from Robi:
Front roll center kit
Rear sway bar 26mm
Enkei NT03+M 9.5X18+40

Nitto NT05's purchased elsewhere.

Aligned and corner balanced...

Two words: Totally awesome!

I'll be posting up my critique once I have a chance to run them in autoX or on the track!
Is the clubsport stiffer than the street version? If so, by how much? Which front roll center kit did you purchase?

Last edited by Cyp; May 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyp
original question is good becuase you can pickup a set of KW V3 for the X for about $1900. Whereas Robi's are $2400. That's quite a bump in price. So I too am wondering whether or not its worth the extra $500. Why can't KW make a similar setup?
Where do you see them for that price?
Old May 26, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

I have been quoted KWs for a little less than that on this site by at least 2 different venders.

Question...has anyone compared the streets to the clubsports?
Old May 26, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
I believe the Robi Spec ones use different springs (On the EVO 8/9 it was something like 8k front 9k rear - though he could use whatever you wanted - as opposed to the 9K front and 6K rears the KWs come with) and custom valving to account for the different springs.

There is no doubt that the Robi versions would be better setup for track and/or autocross than the stock KWs. As for daily driving, plenty of people dd on coilovers with equally stiff springs. Compared to OEM I'm sure youll notice they are stiffer but if the roads are pretty smooth where you are, it should be too much of an issue.
The advantage that you are supposed to get with the KWs in general and specifically the Robisports after revalving is a better fast rebound for DD purposes. Anyfeel for the advantage?
Old May 27, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

i believe robispecs are 7K front/ 8K rear for the streets. Regular KW's come 9K front and 6K rear if I'm not mistaken.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:17 PM
abu
Evolving Member

Can anyone confirm a rumor i heard where there are 2 versions from KW for our cars? The part #'s are supposedly different.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

There is Street, Club and the $8000 Race. So depends. I am thinking of selling my KW's and going w/ Hipermax III sports,
Old May 27, 2009, 08:47 PM
abu
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evox44
There is Street, Club and the $8000 Race. So depends. I am thinking of selling my KW's and going w/ Hipermax III sports,
I meant that there are 2 versions of the V3s. Anyone know?

Quick Reply: Stock KWs vs Robi Spec'd KWs