Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How many track events did your OEM shocks last?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many track events did your OEM shocks last?

I'm asking because after 6 days on track, the suspension has become very wallowy and seems to take a lot longer to settle when coming off of the ski jump at Shenandoah or when I land in the carousel. I've also noticed that turn in seems to take a hair longer and I'm on stickier tires (Star Specs) than my previous OEM Yokos. The car also tends to wander a bit more under hard braking from the straights, causing me to have to muscle the car into placement in the next turn but this also could be as a result of the track pads I'm using.

Anyone else kill their shocks after a few events? Could it be in my head?

My suspension is 100% stock right now.

Last edited by MrBonus; May 20, 2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say that the stickier tires are the source of this different feeling along with the new pads. But if your shocks are indeed blown, then they will either show signs of leaking near where the body meets the piston shaft, if not the valve inside could be broke, required you to take the suspension apart to test the movement of the shaft.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
I would say that the stickier tires are the source of this different feeling along with the new pads. But if your shocks are indeed blown, then they will either show signs of leaking near where the body meets the piston shaft, if not the valve inside could be broke, required you to take the suspension apart to test the movement of the shaft.
I'll do a visual inspection of them when I bleed my brakes this weekend. I'm too lazy to take it all apart unless I'm replacing it.

Plus, I'll be perfectly honest, I want an excuse to replace everything with something more serious. The stocks suspension, while extremely capable and forgiving, does toss you around a lot on the track.

Last edited by MrBonus; May 20, 2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The typical test is to compress the shock (push down on the car) and see what happens. A good shock will typically just come right back up. A blown shock will either slowly come back up or sit there and oscillate (like Homer's belly!).

I know of a couple Evo X's that have done 10+ track days on the stock suspension without any issue. Of course, when they swapped to coilovers their times dropped
Old May 20, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'm asking because after 6 days on track, the suspension has become very wallowy and seems to take a lot longer to settle when coming off of the ski jump at Shenandoah or when I land in the carousel. I've also noticed that turn in seems to take a hair longer and I'm on stickier tires (Star Specs) than my previous OEM Yokos. The car also tends to wander a bit more under hard braking from the straights, causing me to have to muscle the car into placement in the next turn but this also could be as a result of the track pads I'm using.

Anyone else kill their shocks after a few events? Could it be in my head?

My suspension is 100% stock right now.
maybe you just getting better and feel the needs for more.

Old May 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
The typical test is to compress the shock (push down on the car) and see what happens. A good shock will typically just come right back up. A blown shock will either slowly come back up or sit there and oscillate (like Homer's belly!).

I know of a couple Evo X's that have done 10+ track days on the stock suspension without any issue. Of course, when they swapped to coilovers their times dropped
Maybe it's in my head or maybe I'm just using more of the suspension.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
maybe you just getting better and feel the needs for more.

This is possibly true too.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing I forgot (and remembered once I reread your post) is that the wandering under braking could be due to the tires. The Star Specs wander a LOT. They also don't have as stiff a sidewall as the stock tires and the turn in will not be as crisp. Both of which as issues you are describing.

Also you might check the alignment to make sure that stuff isn't out of whack (assuming you've not). Camber makes things wander under braking.

Also check your brake pads since they can contribute to weird issues under braking (esp. if the rear is braking better than the front).