Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Carbotech XP series track pad review... MUST READ!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carbotech XP series track pad review... MUST READ!

Well, I just recently installed a set of Carbotech Race pads on my X and all I can say is... WOW. I have run everything from street pads to race pads and everything in between from Ferodo (DS2500), Porterfield (R4S, RS4), Endless, and Brembo, and these are by far the absolute best pads I have ever used.

As per Carbotech's recommendation, I am running the XP10s in the front and XP8s in the rear, which is a great setup for most track prepped cars. Since the front brakes place more demand on the pads than the rear, going with a slightly more aggressive compound in the front helps to compensate for this and results in a setup that wears evenly and creates temperatures that are well suited to each compound. In any case, here are the specifics and what you can expect from these pads:

For starters, initial bite when the pad is cold is outstanding for a track pad and shockingly streetable. Once hot, well... have your seatbelt buckled tight or you'll end up in the windshield! This setup is all but impossible to fade as well, and I challenge you to try. I have turned my brembos poo brown and couldn't get them to fade one bit, so good luck (1650*F + of fade resistance). Modulation and release characteristics are superb, and they are more rotor friendly than other brands' compounds thanks to a more advanced hybrid construction. Noise levels are also surprisingly low for such dedicated track pads.

If I had to describe it, I'd say they are on par with the Ferodo DS2500s on the "squeel factor," which is impressive considering that the 2500s are more auto-x pads than all out track pads like the XP10s/XP8s. All in all, I guess I would leave you all with this to sum it all up: this is a hardcore track pad setup that will give you the firm pedal, massive stopping power, fade resistance, and modulation/release characteristics that you want in a good track pad while not torching your rotors.

Would I recommend them as daily driven pads? Well, that depends; these pads are surprisingly quiet for what they are and have levels of initial bite when cold that rivals any other track pad I've every come across and to me, I am more than happy to put up with a little bit of noise to have such a versatile setup. But, if you don't really care about track performance and can't deal with a little noise then you are probably going to be happier with something a little more tame. Anyway, thanks for listening guys, and I hope that some of you found this to be usefull in some way. Cheers

BTW, here is a link to Carbotech's description of the different compounds if anyone is interested: http://ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.html

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Sep 9, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome i might look into these if they have them for the 8s
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

^They do indeed. http://ctbrakes.com/pads/mitsubishi.html
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

I was looking at these the other night, but I need some good street pads.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

^You could always go with the Bobcats or AX8s (successor to the Panther). The AX8s imparticular will give you a great auto-x pad that is very liveable on the street. However, if you are looking solely for a street pad, the Bobcats might be a better fit and are probably still better for light track duty than the stock brembo pads. Give Carbotech a try though, I promise you will like them.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Glad this came out although I don't need to change my brakes right now I will be changing them in the near future. I do mostly street driving with maybe two track sessions a year. Anybody want to try the bobcats and report back?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

How's the rotor wear and how many events have you gotten out of them?

Also, do they have an X-specific pad design for the rear or are you running adapters?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Carbotech's are good stuff.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Nevermind looks like the bobcats suck balas grandes. Anything less than the XP8 isn't even worth looking at.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus

Also, do they have an X-specific pad design for the rear or are you running adapters?
According to the site they have X specific pads for the rears.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus

Rotor wear is great. The compounds that Carbotech use are more rotor friendly than the competition thanks to low iron content and more advanced materials. To answer your other question, yes, they have a X specific pad for the rear; no adapters here. As far as events are co concerned, I have a track day at road atlanta coming up around the corner but since I just put them on literally yesterday, I have not had a chance to get them on the track yet. As of right now, I have only been able to test them out on the street, but they are nasty good. Yesterday, I put them through about an hour straight of repetitive, insanely hard braking with no cool down time on a local backroad that is thankfully fairly cop free, and turned my brembos brown with ZERO fade.

Also, my buddy Tim has this exact same setup on his track prepped X with R-compounds, and he has about 10 or 11 track days so far and he thinks he might be able to get one more out of them. He is a very competitive driver and pushes them hard, and IMO, to get 10-12 track days out of a set of pads is impressive. I will let you know how they perform on Road Atlanta when I go out there in about a month, but based on my current experience with them, my friend's experience with them, and the fact that Carbotech has won multiple championship titles using these pads, I feel confident that I will be as pleased as I am now. Stay tuned...

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Sep 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

+1

Carbotechs are good stuff.

I use the AX6 for my autox car and they have very good bite.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DVDee
Nevermind looks like the bobcats suck balas grandes. Anything less than the XP8 isn't even worth looking at.
That's not true at all. I spoke with them over the phone about the application of their compounds, and they said that even the Bobcat and imparticular the AX8s are fine for light track use like entry level HPDEs and stuff like that, but that they are meant more for auto-X, and that what they are talking about when they say, "Not a race pad, Not recommended for track use," is actual RACING. If you want to participate in a competitive RACE that is much more demanding than an HPDE would ever be, they insist that you step up to the XP series.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

And how much are they? Or a link to somewhere that sells them would be fine.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

I'm assuming you are running stock calipers. Are you using any aftermarket ducts?

Quick Reply: Carbotech XP series track pad review... MUST READ!