Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

time for some all season tires need some help guys

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time for some all season tires need some help guys

Give me some advice/reccomended models please. I have yet to auto x, but I want to get into it soon, probably this winter. I live on some very windy isolated back roads, and have some spirited driving every day on my commute. Winter here is cold, but not extremely cold ranging from 20 degrees to 45 or sometimes even 50 degrees. Usually hanging around the 35 or 40 mark though. It rains a decent amount, snows a little, but none of that snow actually sticks to the roadways. Ever so often you will go over an icybridge or have a day with slush on the road. And maybe 2 times out of the year there will be snow on the road. I MOST IMPORTANTALLY want these tires to be insanely sticky on the dry and wet 35 degree pavement, I'm not looking for hardcore snow tires and I want them to perform good. Preferably more sticky than the stockers are on dry summer pavement. I do go snowboarding some too with more demanding conditions sometimes even driving through 50 miles of snow covered back roads, but I most likely will keep my x at home during the majority of those trips so I don't screw it up too badly. I also want them to last me this whole winter if possible. (mid december to beggining of march)

I am also in the market for some wheels, that are black with minimal problems of fitting and weigh around 18 lbs. I am looking at the 18x9 size as it seems to be a good choice for fitment and handling. Links to threads how to do the tpms light thing on the new wheels would be appreciated.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

So let me get this straight, you want an all season tire that handles better than the stock advans, and at the same time you want to bring them to snow board. You heard of Nitto NT-01? They are the best of both worlds, they are in fact so awesome, some people just use them as dedicated snow tires, even though they are labeled as all-season.

Also, here are the two links, in which I hope, to answer your rim and TPMS question.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...late-09-a.html

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=18x9+rim+18+pounds

cheers man

Last edited by jackygor; Nov 26, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackygor
So let me get this straight, you want an all season tire that handles better than the stock advans, and at the same time you want to bring them to snow board. You heard of Nitto NT-01? They are the best of both worlds, they are in fact so awesome, some people just use them as dedicated snow tires, even though they are labeled as all-season.

Also, here are the two links, in which I hope, to answer your rim and TPMS question.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...late-09-a.html

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=18x9+rim+18+pounds

cheers man

good deal... I may use them when my stock tires go
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

hmmmm, well nevermind... some of the links I have read say they should be used strictly for racing and a little street use... plus they are loud.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
guy the tire you've asked for doesn't exist.

the other guy was pulling your leg.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:38 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Continental DWS are stickier in the wet (it would seem in certain aspects) than dry.

Otherwise pilot a/s plus is a nice all rounder.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Pirelli P Zero Nero all season are arguably the best all season tire overall, comfort, dry traction and noise. They are a not the best in all categories but overall in many situations the highest rated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=119
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xi
Continental DWS are stickier in the wet (it would seem in certain aspects) than dry.

Otherwise pilot a/s plus is a nice all rounder.
no wonder they have good wet grip... look at the grooves in those suckers! http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Pilot+Sport
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:26 PM

I have the continental dws tires and couldnt be happier ,but they do not handle better than stock unfortuanetly. You could always get all season on stock wheels and buy new wheels in spring and put factory tires on there.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:41 PM

well noise is not an issue for me, but I don't want them to be so strictly for racing that they don't last long at all. I don't need them to be hardcore snowtires, like I said I may not go snowboarding in this car at all, I just would like them to not be completely incapable in the snow incase I do. I may be going to ams this winter too and winter in chicago and the surrounding areas may be bad.

The problem is I would google 18x9 rims, but don't they have to have the evos bolt pattern which is different?

I still don't really understand tpms after sifting through that either. My lights not on or anything, but will I run into problems when I switch wheels cuz they don't have the sensor?

Last edited by Clarko; Nov 27, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Without a shadow of a doubt, get the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus ZP. Since they are run flats, the sidewall is ubber hard and this gives epic steering response. I love them and they are bit more harsh than the stock advans in terms of ride comfort, but they perform soo well.. Also they have 500 tire wear number thingy. This number is critiqued a lot, but I know 500 is a long time..

I can corner harder than the stock advans but somehow, the stockers felt the best
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by prodigy1210
Without a shadow of a doubt, get the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus ZP. Since they are run flats, the sidewall is ubber hard and this gives epic steering response. I love them and they are bit more harsh than the stock advans in terms of ride comfort, but they perform soo well.. Also they have 500 tire wear number thingy. This number is critiqued a lot, but I know 500 is a long time..

I can corner harder than the stock advans but somehow, the stockers felt the best
If you think you went around a turn in your Michelin Pilot a/s plus zp in 40 degree weather on dry pavement as fast as you could without going into a slide, then you went around the same turn in your stockers when it was 70 degrees outside which would you be able to complete the turn at the higher speed and how big of a difference? I know I sound like a tard just trying to get some really good tires. My friend with an sti reccomended me the toyo proxxes four. I'm open to all ideas though so reply back guys!

Yeah these do not need to be hardcore snowtires, I just want it to be that if I end up in some snow they are not a guaranteed wreck. I would also consider buying to sets, one hardcore snowtire that is just alright on the road and one performance all season that is horrible in snow. I'd rather get the later that's just alright in snow though if it exists.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Dunlop Wintersport
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clarko
If you think you went around a turn in your Michelin Pilot a/s plus zp in 40 degree weather on dry pavement as fast as you could without going into a slide, then you went around the same turn in your stockers when it was 70 degrees outside which would you be able to complete the turn at the higher speed and how big of a difference? I know I sound like a tard just trying to get some really good tires. My friend with an sti reccomended me the toyo proxxes four. I'm open to all ideas though so reply back guys!

Yeah these do not need to be hardcore snowtires, I just want it to be that if I end up in some snow they are not a guaranteed wreck. I would also consider buying to sets, one hardcore snowtire that is just alright on the road and one performance all season that is horrible in snow. I'd rather get the later that's just alright in snow though if it exists.
lol dude you are not being a tard. You are just being an Evo owner. You only want the best for your baby and I understand

The advans at 74 degrees and about 20 mins of warmup by driving on the freeway was able to take the exit ramp at 80 mph without a slide. The Michelin all season did this in 38 degrees outside with 10 mins warmup.. It felt exactly the same.. Same speed. I didn't push past 80 on that ramp. It stuck to the road like glue. On rainy days, I hydroplane at 110 mph. The advans hydroplaned at 85ish. So more banana there..

The other benefit to getting the Michelin is that they are run flats. Remove your spare tire and tools and you have instant weight reduction without the fear of being stranded by a flat..

Good luck with your choice and let me know what you get
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is awesome. I'm driving around with that set right now. Also Costco has 70 dollar off rebate and free lifetime rotation, balance, nitrogen air refills, and patching in case of popped tires. All that service for free can't go wrong with that.

Quick Reply: time for some all season tires need some help guys