Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Running smaller wheels, with smaller brakes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running smaller wheels, with smaller brakes

im about to move into a rural area with nothing but dirt and dips so instead of ruining enkei, saving them for track, i want to run taller tires. i know its been ask and 17s dont fit. Wilwood do sell 11.7 inch size rotors for the X and ill probably fit some 16-17s fit taller tires, i was thinking would this be a bad idea? sort of kinda like how they do in the rally world. if i get the same diameter tire as the stock height i know itll be safe for the TC. i wish someone would make a kit *coughAMS* to fit the previous evos brakes onto the Xs. any thoughts? advice? ideas?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Couldn't you fit regular Lancer breaks on it?

I bet you could find a thread somewhere on here that tells how to put Evo breaks on a Lancer and just reverse the process. If you don't want to keep them, I'll bet that someone would be more than willing to do a swap with you.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
regular lancer brakes won't fit... and just swapping the rotor won't work either, you have to swap the caliper.

either ams or buscher has a small brake kit for the X IIRC... I do think your reasoning behind moving to a worse brake performance, more tire is a bad one...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Drive cautiously will do a lot more for you than a small brake kit will. But if you intend to drive hard - what difference does it make what wheels you destroy? (Plus driving hard on smaller brakes with such weight can lead to situations you don't even want to read about)
Old Jan 9, 2010, 03:40 AM

Yea, downsizing brakes just to fit smaller wheels does not sound like a good master plan, If you are worried about damaging your wheels just find a cheaper set of wheels the same size that you don't care about, or just take it easy instead of endangering your car with smaller then factory brakes.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:05 AM

I disagree with many of the posts here. The original poster isn't driving on the street:
im about to move into a rural area with nothing but dirt and dips
You do not need the same braking abilities in limited traction situations as you do with sticky tires on tarmac. The brake stops the wheel/tire, but when the tire is on dirt/gravel/snow the driving surface and tire interface is the limitation not the brakes.

So OP how about some rally wheels and brakes? Observe:

FTWhttp://rallispec.com/prod_chart_esgr.htm

New EVO x GpN Kit available

Brembo have designed a competition brake kit which has been homologated for Mitsubishi Evo VIII, IX and X Group N rally cars. The front and rear axle kits are available in both gravel and tarmac specifications, with the tarmac rally specification using a massive 355mm front disc. The kits come complete with all the necessary components to give an Evo unbelievably good brakes. BSMSPORT have all the kits in stock.

The Touring Car Masters category, where the Supercars of the 60's and 70's (Mustangs, Camaros, Falcon GT's) run has recently been permitted to upgrade their brakes using more modern components. These cars all have to use a 15" wheel, so they require a brake system capable of fitting inside this wheel.

The components from the above Evo GpN gravel kit are designed specifically to fit inside the regulation 15" gravel wheel, so the leading competitors in the Touring Car Masters, including championship winner Gavin Bullas, Jim Richards and Drew Marget have all chosen the same caliper & discs from the Brembo Evo GpN kit to stop their Mustangs & Falcon Sprint.
http://www.bsmsport.com.au/news.php
Old Jan 9, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't say I'm downgrading brake performane wouldn't it be an upgrade?
" Using a robust Wilwood forged 4 piston caliper, this kit retains great stopping power making it very streetable. The vented vane rotor is 11.75” in diameter (stock is 12.75”) and features a lightweight aluminum hat. We supply the rotor and hat pre-assembled with safety wire and include Goodridge braided stainless steel brake lines.* Grade 8 hardware and aluminum caliper brackets complete the package.* This kit is designed to fit over 15” rims with the appropriate wheel spacers."
Old Jan 9, 2010, 07:06 AM
Account Disabled

^ And they look so good in white.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 08:39 AM

In Norway we often change the brakes from Brembo GSR breaks to the small breaks from the Evo RS models. Then we could fit down to 15" wheels. And its easy and fast to do. I change both the suspension and breaks when I changes to winter tires
I also have a set of wheels with ice tires to drive on the ice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeMr5...om=PL&index=32
Old Jan 9, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

^no RS model here in the states for the X boo! Although the euro RS models seems to have brakes that resembles a lancer GTS not sure if it's a direct swap.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Norway is pretty much considered Europe
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:18 PM
WAM
Evolving Member

Okay, here's the deal with fitting smaller diameter wheels to the X from someone who's done it. Front is pretty easy. AMS sells a lightweight drag/solo front brake system and a heavier duty rally system that will allow fitting certain 15" wheels. I'm using the AMS/Wilwood drag/solo kit and running Team Dynamics 23mm offset 15" wheels & Hankook rally tires.

Rear is more difficult. Earlier cars could fit 15's over OE rear brakes. Not on the X. You can fit 16" Team Dynamics wheels at 23mm offset plus 1/8" spacer. To go smaller you need a smaller rotor and compact caliper. AMS does not have a kit for this. I'm building my own using Wilwood parts to match the front.

I'm sure you can get professional rally quality small brake kits for the X, but they're going to cost big bucks.

But if you just want to rip up dirt roads consider the Wilwood rally front kit and 16" x 7" Team Dynamic wheels with an aggressive snow tire like the Winterforce. Other wheels may fit the rear, but be sure to fit test before you buy. The dropcenter has to ride outside the caliper...it won't fit over the top. And you can still bolt up your 18's for asphalt use. The rally front kit will be up to it.

PS, the OP mentioned fitting taller tires...no can do. Anything much over 26" will hit the front inner fender panel. Instead go for same height, narrower section so your aspect ratio is higher. I'm competing on 215/60-16 Winterforces (when not on rallys) which are a huge improvement over OE size 40 series tires, off-highway. On highway, not so much.

Last edited by WAM; Jan 16, 2010 at 06:26 PM.