Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question on adjusting coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on adjusting coilovers

How does this work? How much time does it take? Guessing it depends on the manufacturer?

I'm really just interested in reducing wheel gap, but I don't want to sacrifice too much comfort. I had an s2000 lowered on eibach springs and after a while it got to be too much for a daily driver.

Wondering about coilovers because I don't have a spring compressor and would be paying for a spring install, whereas I would be comfortable doing a full coilover install myself. Figured I could put the money saved on the install into some coilovers, but that depends on how difficult it is to make the adjustments and what I need to know to make them.

Is a "set it and forget it" mentality approriate for adjustable coilovers, or do I need to constantly adjust?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A set it and forget it mentality is very much appropriate. A lot of brands out there advertise 32 clicks of adjustment, but in reality, 30 of those clicks suck and 2 of them are just okay.

For a good coilover with good valving, you'll most likely leave it on 1 setting, sometimes adjusting it at the track.

- Andrew
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Dampening is the easy part... but whenever you change your ride height and what not you'll always have to do alignment. Which sucks.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoostedXevo
Dampening is the easy part... but whenever you change your ride height and what not you'll always have to do alignment. Which sucks.

Good point. Hadn't thought of that. What's entailed in that? Imagine you have to jack it up, remove the wheels? Any kind of measurement, or just count the clicks?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ride height you jack up the car and use the spanner wrench that comes with your coilvoers to adjust the spring perches. Repeat as necessary to get the height you want. But then you need an alignment. Alignment is something you'll be going to a shop for and paying money. Changing ride height all the time is not recommended unless you have the time and money to do it often. Plan on 100 to 200 per alignment. So yeah, don't change your ride height all the time.

For damping, you usually just pop the hood and turn a knob.

Since your new to coilovers, I would highly highly recommend getting them from a suspension shop that knows a thing or two about suspension and can help you set them up correctly.

The alternative is to get some springs that don't suck (meaning springs that don't lower the car too much). Get some swaybars and call it a day.

- Andrew
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by slebo3213
How does this work? How much time does it take? Guessing it depends on the manufacturer?

I'm really just interested in reducing wheel gap, but I don't want to sacrifice too much comfort. I had an s2000 lowered on eibach springs and after a while it got to be too much for a daily driver.

Wondering about coilovers because I don't have a spring compressor and would be paying for a spring install, whereas I would be comfortable doing a full coilover install myself. Figured I could put the money saved on the install into some coilovers, but that depends on how difficult it is to make the adjustments and what I need to know to make them.

Is a "set it and forget it" mentality approriate for adjustable coilovers, or do I need to constantly adjust?
Some might disagree with me here, but while some coilovers might be better than others, you are increasing the spring rates and will likely have a harsher ride. The tradeoff is great looks and great performance.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:30 PM

just make sure your shocks don't bottom out
if they do you're in for costly repairs
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slebo3213

Like Andrew said, if you buy a good coilover system, you will find that 1 setting you like and probably never change it unless you head to the track.

With that in mind, I think the set and forget it mentality does work for most people.

If you have to constantly adjust the coilover, you have either bought a set of KW V3's with the fixed high speed valving, or you bought an awful coilover system.