Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

GTWORX EVO X Tarmac Springs and GTWORX Rear Swaybar (GTWORX EVO X Tarmac Package)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GTWORX EVO X Tarmac Springs and GTWORX Rear Swaybar (GTWORX EVO X Tarmac Package)

Lately people have been coming around to our functional approach, which is really starting to pick up in the EVO world. The "look" is nice, but people understand that suspension travel and suspension geometry is important if you want your car to handle well. And the car can still look awesome with a medium/mild drop.

Right now I don't believe that there is a set of springs out there that makes a real solid improvement in handling for the EVO X. Either they're too low, too soft, unbalanced, or often all of the above. Some of them are OKAY, some of them I'd prefer stock. It REAAALLY makes us want to fill in that gap in the EVO X market.

We've been learning more and more about the EVO X and what works and what does not. We're ready to bring a new Tarmac Sport package to the EVO X community that really does improve handling by a measurable amount (aka not just the buttdyno).

Functional drop, that maintains good suspension geometry and also improves the look. Spring rates designed for performance, and with the mild/medium drop keeps the car of the bumpstops for a good ride. Specs will be released when the pacakge is ready.

We also want to match this with a new GTWORX hollow rear swaybar, designed by us to work with the springs from the start. The complete GTWORX Tarmac package would be an inexpensive way to get your X to a whole new level. Good ride, great handling, and a nice look. For less than the budget coilovers.

If demand is there, we will do a front sway bar that would be an optional addition. We are definitely going to start with the rear bar though.

Please let us know your thoughts. These will not drop the car as much as Eibachs, so if you're primarily looking for a spring to reduce wheel gap and look good, that's totally okay, but these are not for you. These will drop the car some, but function is coming first.

- Andrew
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Timeframe is still to be determined. I don't want to give a date now because it will likely change. We're hoping for this fall. We are PUMPED.

- Andrew
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

A little about us....we don't just throw springs together trying to find a ride height that looks good. We spend a lot of time engineering our springs to maximize suspension travel, match the springs to the valving of the shocks, and make sure the car is balanced.

Our GTWORX springs were the first IMO "function" springs for the EVO 8/9, followed by another set from another manufacturer. Our Racecomp Engineering Yellow springs and Black springs for the Subaru STI are known as the benchmark performance spring for that car. Anyway, just wanted to point out this is not new territory for us by any means.

- Andrew
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know I'm interested Rear sway bar is are a no-brainer.... two or three settings, better prices, lower weight. Make it so and I'm game. As for the fronts, I know the install is a pain and the benefit isn't as great. Regarding the install, what all has to be removed to install it? I can't justify it on its own, but if, say, a downpipe install would overlap with a majority of the labor, then it might be worth buying to do at the same time. Any situations like that to ease the labor burden?

As we discussed, I've been leaning towards coilovers for the exact reason you've pointed out: function seems to come after form with all the springs currently available.

That said, adjustable coilovers still do offer more flexibility if you're into tweaking things on your own. For me, I'm not interested in that now because I don't fully understand how a setting adjust would translate into results, and refuse to start randomly turning screw without understanding what I'm doing. But I'm studying and learning pretty quickly If one were to buy the springs you have in mind for use with the OE struts, but would decide to move to an adjustable set of coilovers in the future, how would the springs you have in mind react to being used on a set of coilovers? Would you still advise they be used, or go with whatever comes with the coilover (if anything) or something else?

LMK if you need anyone with OEM suspension to help test fit or track test. I'm only about 20 mins away
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About time you guys got to the party!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

NICE! can't wait! Any reason why you guys are choosing to go with a hollow rear sway bar? It seems like most of the vendors currently out have opted for solid bars..

I do understand that center reinforced hollow bars are more rigid.. i just didn't know why all the manufacturers jumped on the solid bar wagon...
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

In for rear sway...
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In for the Sway Bars.

I'm sure people would agree with me but Swift springs are pretty well balanced imo. So as much as I want to see what you guys would come up with I think it might not be worth it.

I love the Swift Springs, if you can make everything around that, it would be awesome.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Seriously though, they're fine and ours are just another option that is intended as a handling upgrade first and foremost. I'm glad that they didn't lower the car too far for the X like they did IMO for the 8/9 but I"m surprised how soft they are (and many agree). We just want to offer something else.

As for the hollow rear bar, well....we did solid swaybars for the GD Impeza STI and they worked well. Then we did hollow bars for the GR STI and they worked just as well, but were a little lighter. That's really it. Not a huge difference either way, but it's easy to add into the design and every lb helps.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Nov 3, 2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:26 PM

I am in.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blk-majik
You know I'm interested Rear sway bar is are a no-brainer.... two or three settings, better prices, lower weight. Make it so and I'm game. As for the fronts, I know the install is a pain and the benefit isn't as great. Regarding the install, what all has to be removed to install it? I can't justify it on its own, but if, say, a downpipe install would overlap with a majority of the labor, then it might be worth buying to do at the same time. Any situations like that to ease the labor burden?

As we discussed, I've been leaning towards coilovers for the exact reason you've pointed out: function seems to come after form with all the springs currently available.

That said, adjustable coilovers still do offer more flexibility if you're into tweaking things on your own. For me, I'm not interested in that now because I don't fully understand how a setting adjust would translate into results, and refuse to start randomly turning screw without understanding what I'm doing. But I'm studying and learning pretty quickly If one were to buy the springs you have in mind for use with the OE struts, but would decide to move to an adjustable set of coilovers in the future, how would the springs you have in mind react to being used on a set of coilovers? Would you still advise they be used, or go with whatever comes with the coilover (if anything) or something else?

LMK if you need anyone with OEM suspension to help test fit or track test. I'm only about 20 mins away
The springs will be designed for stock struts only. They wouldn't fit on a coilover if you upgraded down the line but there are many options for that.

Can you send me a PM with your info.

Going out of town this weekend.

- Andrew
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:57 PM

Hurry and put this pkg together already!!! I've been waiting forever for a good set of springs and rear sway bar for the longest time. Any idea of price range??
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Go figure - I contemplate springs for about 7 months, wait for the Spec R's in vain, finally buy something else and now GTWorx is talking springs...

I wonder if you guys will beat Bilsteins and their PSS10 campaign...
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, no doubt they'll out-perform the Swifts...those rates are too soft.

GO GET EM, GT WORX! haha
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how low do you think this will lower the car ?

Quick Reply: GTWORX EVO X Tarmac Springs and GTWORX Rear Swaybar (GTWORX EVO X Tarmac Package)