Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

One tire ruined, need to replace all 4?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One tire ruined, need to replace all 4?

So I acquired a gash in the sidewall of one of my front tires and its ruined (don't ask, bad day). Anyway, I have about 5k miles on tires (Direzza Star Specs) and I'm wondering if I need to replace the other 3 tires when I replace this one? I've heard that all wheel drive cars need to have all tires with equal wear, but obviously not super excited about buying a set of 4 when the other 3 tires still have at least 10k miles left on them.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

just get the new one shaved down to match the other three.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Any capable tire shop can shave the new tire to the same thread thickness as the other three. That's the simple and most cost effective solution.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

since your in oakland I would suggest you look up GST motorsports, they can point you to the right place to get the tires shaved locally.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
tire rack will shave a tire for you before shipping it out, I think they charge about 40 bucks...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

+1 on the tirerack, they can easily shave it for you and ship it out.

Just gotta check the tread depth on the other tires

other option is to look for a speedshop, they will shave tires
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:58 AM

Great, I was planning on ordering from TireRack anyway, so I'll just measure the tread depth of the other front tire and get them to shave it a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, this is a relief, the thought of dropping $900+ on a set of new tires + mounting was kinda ruining my day.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

wtf only 5k on your tires, you don't need to shave it or anything. just buy 1 tire and call it a day. a couple mm of tread depth differences isnt going to do anything to your transmission or differentials as long as you service it at the normal times. You realize that probably 60% of people on these boards dont rotate their tires at the proper intervals and that the difference between front and rear tires after 5-8k is about the same right? most if not all of the stories of people's diff's going out is because of launching and abuse.

If i'm wrong someone please correct me. It would be ludicrous to think that a car requires ALL tires to be at the SAME EXACT tread level at ALL times. we'd need to rotate our tires every 100 miles for that to happen.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by LiQuIdCrAzN
wtf only 5k on your tires, you don't need to shave it or anything. just buy 1 tire and call it a day. a couple mm of tread depth differences isnt going to do anything to your transmission or differentials as long as you service it at the normal times. You realize that probably 60% of people on these boards dont rotate their tires at the proper intervals and that the difference between front and rear tires after 5-8k is about the same right? most if not all of the stories of people's diff's going out is because of launching and abuse.

If i'm wrong someone please correct me. It would be ludicrous to think that a car requires ALL tires to be at the SAME EXACT tread level at ALL times. we'd need to rotate our tires every 100 miles for that to happen.
Right there with ya. Had the same thing happen to me at 4k, only replaced the messed up one. Done deal.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LiQuIdCrAzN

Horrible advice. Rotating tires is done to match F&R, what you're suggesting to the guy here is to mismatch left to right as well as front to rear...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
Horrible advice. Rotating tires is done to match F&R, what you're suggesting to the guy here is to mismatch left to right as well as front to rear...
so you're telling me that 2mm of tread depth will really wear out our diff's prematurely?

also heres another thing to think about... what about uneven wear on a tire? how many people have had their diff's worn prematurely because they had obscene camber wear on one tire and NONE on the other? having extreme camber wear on 1 tire will also differentiate the the height of the tires from left to right.

Last edited by LiQuIdCrAzN; Jan 19, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the tires are virtually new I doubt it would make much of a difference to just slap on another new tire. If there is noticeable wear on the other tires... then maybe you can get the new one shaved as others have said.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Not a big deal just put new tire in.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Also for people's info, for piece of mind, especially since he's ordering from Tirerack....i think it only costs like $40 bucks for them to shave it, thats worth the worry in the end

And really the amount of miles don't mean much, it really is all about how much tread depth is left....

for the OP, make you sure have a decent amount of tread depth otherwise for costs sake, it might make more sense to have four new ones.