Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Winter tire season 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Winter tire season 2011

It was been an unusual pre-season this year with almost no updated tires being released. We are also seeing many more tires and sizes than usual being discontinued or simply not being produced this season. If we have another severe winter like last year this could lead to some early shortages in some sizes.

Popular tires for moderate to low snow climates, that see more plowed roads than highways, tend to be the Blizzak LM60 and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. Both are considered very equal to each other in snow traction and in dry road handling/cornering and were the tires of choice in this category. The redesigned LM60 moves the balance closer to the snow traction side while the Dunlop does slightly better in dry. Both an ideal choice for someone having trouble deciding between the high performance snow tires that sacrifice a lot of snow traction and the Q/R rated snow tires that trade off too much in handling and dry grip.

Persons living in more rural areas or heavy snow climates lean toward the Blizzak WS-70 or Michelin X-Ice Xi2. I've noticed when driving both that the added tread depth of the Blizzak helps deep snow traction on those early unplowed mornings. The X-Ice is a bit happier on ice surfaces and tends to handle a bit tighter on clear roads due to the 2/32nd's difference in depth compared to the Blizzak.

I would not wait too long, it's better to be proactive than reactive. Ordering early when most products are still available lets you choose what you want to buy rather than being forced to settle for what is left over. Best to be ready with products in hand before it snows so that you can put them on when you are ready rather than waiting for a shipment to arrive after the first snow. We should have most inventory available now to mid Oct. Tires and wheels purchased together are mounted and balanced at no charge to make changeover easy and we do offer the oem pressure sensors.

You can view full winter tire and wheel packages here Tire Rack Winter Packages

Remember to mention "Neal ext 624" in the comments section of your online order. This way I can review the order and process it faster. As always you may call me direct as well
Old Oct 5, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm leaning towards the Alpins more and more. I'll probably be giving you a call in a week or two.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 04:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wished tirerack had the kumho KW22's rated #2 by testworld
http://www.rehvid.com/public/files/k...st_results.pdf

I just put these on my car. they handle like a dream on gravel.. have yet to get them on snow and ice.. but winter is coming. they forcast possible snow this week Calgary Alberta Canada. I seriously can't wait till the snow hits!

Please Tire rack get some Gislaved, Nokian and Kumho Kw22's !! if you had these tires id have bought them from ya!

Old Oct 5, 2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by tkromer
I'm leaning towards the Alpins more and more. I'll probably be giving you a call in a week or two.
I just ordered a set of Alpins from Tire Rack this week. I'm looking forward to my first winter in my X with these.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

How are the blizzaks?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:30 PM

Neal,

What tire would you recommend to someone in the pacific NW? Tires will see 98% rain/wet conditions. Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
More on the sport winter side such as the Blizzak LM60 or Dunlop 3D would work well.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:01 PM

i just picked up a set of blizzacks a couple of weeks ago! i hope theyre as good as everyone says
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

You guys have a recommended package for the WS70 + 16" steel wheels for a 2004 Accord V6. Thinking about getting those for my girl for the winter. Any discount for EvoM members? PM me!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:26 PM

Neal, 2011 Evo X GSR in Chicagoland, roughly 30 miles a day on the highway, which winter tires do you recommend?

Thanks,
Paul
Old Jun 20, 2018, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm... now there are better tyres, like these one: Dunlop Sport 5