Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ride quality: Swift Sports, Spec-r or GTWorx?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ride quality: Swift Sports, Spec-r or GTWorx?

I'm looking to replace the OEM springs, and have done enough research to narrow it down to these 3. Swift Sports, Spec-r or GTWorx Tarmacs.

2 things are important to me.. ride quality, and not lowered much past an inch. I don't want it bouncy or too hard. Performance is important, but not as much as the ride quality.

How much harder will the ride be for each spring, in comparison to stock as percentage. For instance, is the Sport 20% harder, Spec-r/GTworx 40% harder?

And, which ones will be the least bouncy.

In terms of ride quality, the GTWorx and Spec-r are going to be nearly identical... is that right?

Last edited by sun_ice4; Jul 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the key thing is the GTWorx springs keep proper stroke in mind, so while they are stiffer, they feel just OEM plus - something I was exactly looking for, and has paid off extremely well this year (keeping up with fully build national level cars - more details in sig link)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:03 PM

i'm riding on Swift Spec-R with the stock MR Bilstein and to me it's not too much stiffer than the stock. It dropped my X 1.5 up front and 1.27 in the rear. I'm loving the Spec-r but that's just my $.02
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Spec-R's tighten up the MR's soft feel with out making em bouncy. Had GTWORX springs on my VIII and loved em. Can't go wrong with either. I believe the GTWORX have less of a drop though.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=364090
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

I just installed the GTWORX recently on the MR shocks and the drop is pretty mild. It looks more like a stock height STI with 2 finger gaps both front and rear as she sits now which is a good thing. As for ride quality, I actually found that it feels even softer/dampens better than the OEM Eibach springs over bumps which was also felt by others. In turns, the performance over stock can be felt as it stiffens things up and the car rolls/leans less. Ideally, my preferred set up would be coilovers at 10KF 12KR, but these springs are budget friendly and have a respectful 5.5K rate (higher than even spec R's by a fraction). I haven't ridden on the SpecR's but I would imagine that although similar in specs, that extra drop might make those ride a little stiffer over bumps.

In summary, I'm happy with GTWORX and it could be awhile before I spend the extra cash on a set of coilovers. Many entry low end coilover rates are 6-8k just to give you a comparison!

Last edited by Optiblue; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

I'm on the Swift Spec R's on my GSR. Most springs won't be that dramaitcally different then OEM however you will notice a difference. All three seem to have really good reviews. I got my Spec R's for $299 shipped so I couldn't complain. the drop is about 1.5" front and 1" back after the spring's settle. Here is a great review of them for you to look at (including pictures)

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38415
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Put it like this... Eibach, swift will never contribute to the forums. The guys at GTworkx are always on here helping with any suspension questions. Even if the products used are not theirs. I run the GTworkx myself and love them. Rather give my money to a small company that cares about user feedback and is part if the community. Just like family, rather help family than a stranger that don't care about anything but profit.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
Put it like this... Eibach, swift will never contribute to the forums. The guys at GTworkx are always on here helping with any suspension questions. Even if the products used are not theirs. I run the GTworkx myself and love them. Rather give my money to a small company that cares about user feedback and is part if the community. Just like family, rather help family than a stranger that don't care about anything but profit.
Very true. I have yet to purchase the GTWorx, but that is the one I will be going with. I actually called them up to talk to them a bit about their springs. They were very friendly and helpful. From what they said (and from what I've read also), these may even feel a little softer to stock but handle better due to allowing full stroke. Sorry for not having direct feedback on the actual spring, but talking to them convinced me to put my money into a more "focused" smaller company that is there to improve matters (not just out to make a buck).
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:04 PM

Swifts ride better than stock.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the great info!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 03:46 PM

I have a set of GTWorx that I'll be putting in before a few track days at the end of August. A buddy of mine runs them on his GSR with stock struts and is really happy with them.