Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear fenders rub after installing 18x9.5 +20 with 245's

Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear fenders rub after installing 18x9.5 +20 with 245's

Last weekend, I installed a set of Work CR Kiwami, size 18x9.5 +20. Since I was using 245/40/18's on them, after reading all the threads re: wheel fitment, I figured there would be no rear fender interference. Well, that was not the case. I was getting a slight rub, especially on the right rear making left turns over bumpy roads. The car is lowered on Eibach springs, and BFG G-Force Comp-2's are the tires I'm using. Comparing specs to the OEM Yokohama's, the BFG's are more square and have a slightly larger diameter, and that's more than likely the reason why I was rubbing while other people stated their cars were fine on 245's. I said "was rubbing" because I ended up getting the rear fenders shaved today during lunch. This way, I can go 265's with the next set of tires.

Just thought I'd post this info, in case anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails Rear fenders rub after installing 18x9.5 +20 with 245's-p1000369.jpg   Rear fenders rub after installing 18x9.5 +20 with 245's-p1000372.jpg   Rear fenders rub after installing 18x9.5 +20 with 245's-p1000363.jpg  

Last edited by acm_evo; Sep 27, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:10 PM

looks Excellent!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's what I would do, ACM: flip the front camber bolts to -2, set the rear to -1.5 and the rubbing will be gone and the car will handle better.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

Shaved? Please tell me the inner lip wasn't cut back or off? You'll regret that if so.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Adio
looks Excellent!
Thank you, sir...
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Here's what I would do, ACM: flip the front camber bolts to -2, set the rear to -1.5 and the rubbing will be gone and the car will handle better.
Thanks for the input. However, I'm running around - 1.5 all the way around, and inside thread tire wear is bad enough as-is...
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SD_Lurker
Shaved? Please tell me the inner lip wasn't cut back or off? You'll regret that if so.
Yes, the inside lip was shaved back a couple mm's. Why would i regret it? I did seal the cut edges with factory touch up paint, and here in CA where i live rusting is really not a major issue. I debated whether getting the fenders rolled or shaved, and I guess i chose what i thought, IMHO, was the safest way to solve the rubbing and not screw up the rear fenders' paint and straight edges. I've read countless threads about rolling vs. shaving, and i think there are pros-cons either way you go about it...
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by acm_evo
Thanks for the input. However, I'm running around - 1.5 all the way around, and inside thread tire wear is bad enough as-is...
What's the toe?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

What's the toe?
Hi Iowa, good question. Although i don't remember the exact specs, toe is within specs, and pretty close to 0. Prior to replacing tires and getting it realigned, toe was slightly off, and I'm sure that contributed to the right front tire wearing out the inside shoulder. Car was realigned again after the spring installation, and set to as close to 0 toe as possible. Hopefully, this time around front tire wear will be better.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well, then the issue with the rubbing in the rear really boils down to the incredible tread-width of the Comp-2s. With the same rear alignment, my R-S3s are no where near the fender lips on a +23 offset, for example. But, of course, a 245/40/18 Comp-2 is almost an inch wider at the tread than the same-size R-S3. Let this be a general warning to everyone that you have to take the tire's specifics into account when using what people have said will fit without rubbing.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:34 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried to figure out where exactly it's rubbing? I've fitted some big wheels and tires on an X, and have them fitted perfectly without rubbing; only needed to roll the fenders flat. I would advise you to pull a shock off, compress the wheel, and see where it rubs. Then address that issue.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Well, then the issue with the rubbing in the rear really boils down to the incredible tread-width of the Comp-2s. With the same rear alignment, my R-S3s are no where near the fender lips on a +23 offset, for example. But, of course, a 245/40/18 Comp-2 is almost an inch wider at the tread than the same-size R-S3. Let this be a general warning to everyone that you have to take the tire's specifics into account when using what people have said will fit without rubbing.
You're absolutely correct in that the issue has to do with the width of the Comp-2's compared to other tires of the same size. Also, keep in mind that a +23 offset rim does not stick out as much as a +20 offset rim.

Originally Posted by chu
Have you tried to figure out where exactly it's rubbing? I've fitted some big wheels and tires on an X, and have them fitted perfectly without rubbing; only needed to roll the fenders flat. I would advise you to pull a shock off, compress the wheel, and see where it rubs. Then address that issue.
Oh yeah, they were rubbing (slightly) on the outside rear fender lip, right at the top of the fender arch. And I did address the issue; boy did I ever...
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
a 245 comp-2 is wider than other 265's? aren't there people running 265 starspecs (also pretty wide for their size) on rpf1's +15's without rubbing?

this kinda sucks, cause i was planning to get these wheels with some 265's in the spring...
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by acm_evo

Oh yeah, they were rubbing (slightly) on the outside rear fender lip, right at the top of the fender arch. And I did address the issue; boy did I ever...
care to elaborate? maybe pics if you're nice?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the exact same wheels but I'm lowered on swift spec r. I currently still have the OEM tires so there is a slight stretch, but I certainly don't have any rubbing issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear fenders rub after installing 18x9.5 +20 with 245's