Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

"Clunk" or "popping noise" resolved?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Clunk" or "popping noise" resolved?

After checking everything I could in my car, I still have the popping noise at low speeds. It sounds like the spring is not seated and I can feel it through the floor.. I have the Eibach pro kit (only installed 1k miles) and have 29k miles on the car.. I have made sure the springs are seated correctly and checked all the bolts on tfe upper strut mounts and strut bar. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

i was having the same problem. i torqued, inspected, and played with the springs(swifts), making sure it's seated just about every oil change and i wasn't having any luck.

best $6 (plus s/h) i've ever spent right here. noise is virtually gone. http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Tein...ameter-Springs
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by subrwho
After checking everything I could in my car, I still have the popping noise at low speeds. It sounds like the spring is not seated and I can feel it through the floor.. I have the Eibach pro kit (only installed 1k miles) and have 29k miles on the car.. I have made sure the springs are seated correctly and checked all the bolts on tfe upper strut mounts and strut bar. Any help would be much appreciated!
how did you make sure the tophats were on tight enough?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

BUMP! Mine has gotten super loud now from front driver's side. It can be felt through the floor as well. Some leaking on the inner cv boot. I've read about 1000 threads and of course nobody has gave a definite answer to what it could be. Anyone?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two things, since I have experience on it from installing my springs and my friends springs.

First culprit is the tophat is installed backwards. The tophats have arrows in them and those arrows NEED to be pointing out from the car. Second culprit, the nut on the top where there is grease has loosened since if it's not torqued to spec, the grease will loosen the nut.

As for the load noise, the only thing I can think of is that u did installed the tophats wrong (arrow pointing towards the car) and instead of self correcting itself (it would self correct itself by bending the tophats), the tophats broke due to temp and circumstance. U hit a bump when the top hats r cold... If the tophats r warm or operating temps, then it would just bend, but if ambient temp is cold and u hit a bump when u just started the car, the metal is still brittle causing it to snap.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

ANYTHING NEW? UPDATES ? !

ive been battling this issue for over a yeare.. had the shocks re oiled and lubed for stiction.. changed swaybarlinks, greased top..

seems when i jack the car up and adjust load it goes away for a few hours/days but will always return.. i find also when tightening the top nut it goes away for a few days or hours but will eventually come back too .. even if i just spin it and not actually use a gun (so im not even tightening it im just spinning the shaft) it seems to go away for a few hrs/days too ? ?

i notice when shaking the car on at the radiator support it can be heard from the top hat area.. anyone find anything new ?