Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlin Road & Track dampening/rebound setting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohlin Road & Track dampening/rebound setting

Hi all,

I'm starting this thread to gather some information on how many clicks people are running with their Ohlins which may or may not influence my decision to change what I'm currently running.

I first tried 10 clicks from softest setting as I found this is the recommended setting from the instruction manual. I thought this was the correct setting assuming you would start counting from 0 (softest setting). However I've had a good look over the forums and it seems many people believe it is 10 clicks from the hardest setting not the softest. I'm now a bit confused

10 clicks from softest setting rode very nicely in terms of comfort. On the street I found it handled exceptionally well.

10 clicks from hardest setting, after reading many people were running this setting and with my track day coming up this weekend I thought I would give this setting a go. I've only been around the block but this setting still feels quite comfortable though it is noticeability more stiff and gives the car a more raw feel. While testing this setting around the block I managed to kick the rear end out while exiting a round-about which i was quite surprised as I thought I wasn't going all that fast.

If anyone has played around or has some personal experience/knowledge of a good setting please shed some light. I've got a track event coming up and I'm chasing a balanced set up between oversteer & understeer.

mods are:
Whiteline roll centre adjuster
Whiteline front caster kit
Whiteline rear swaybar & endlinks
Cusco front lower control arm brace
Beatrush Rear Strut brace

Old Jan 17, 2017, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whenever you adjust dampening on the Ohlins, you need to go full firm first and then dial back the number of clicks you desire each time you want to try a new setting. The Ohlins have 30 clicks in their range so in the instructions under recommended settings, the "10 clicks" is still on the firmer side and will likely be a good starting track setting assuming you're on the out-of-the-box rates (10k front/7k rear) and on street tires that are comparable to the factory tires. Full soft (again, starting from full firm) will be dialing back 30 clicks and is quite comfortable on the street. If you have firmer rear spring rates (many people do 10k springs all around and that's what I had previously), you may find it preferable to run the rear a little bit stiffer than the front to balance it out. My street setting was 30 clicks front/28 rear since I have a rear sway bar (If I was on the factory RSB and had a 10k rear spring, I likely would've run 26 clicks in the rear for street driving).

These kits and settings are designed around factory setups (like suspension geometry, tire/wheels sizes, sway bars). If you have stickier tires you may have to firm them up a little more but it seems you don't have to worry about it on most street summer tires. Since you have a larger rear sway bar and adjustable end links, you may find it preferable to use a little softer dampening in the rear depending on the sway bar settings (by 1-2 clicks). I would suggest starting your sway bar on full soft though and see how you like it. If you're rear is kicking out abruptly, I have found that to be an indicator of the sway bar being too stiff (but then again, maybe you like that).

All the best!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm on full soft and loving it I need to mess with the dampening soon myself. The only thing that's a bummer is you have to go under the car to adjust the fronts. Oh well, bigger problems in the world.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheers for the advise guys, I have now soften up the rear by 2 clicks after what JDIZZLE37 said about there recommendations based on factory set up and because I indeed do have the larger rear sway bar which makes the rear less grippy. Ive only adjusted it and have not driven the car yet. As for the sway bar its in the middle setting. Ive only ever had it on the middle setting.

Tyres are 245/40/18 AD08R on Enkei PF-01 18x9 et35
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I'm curious to hear what damper settings people are using for DD cars with Ohlins R&T. I've been at 23/17 with 7k springs for over a year. Its been pretty good for all around use. I have bumped up to 8k springs and wondering if there is any need to bump up the damper stiffness.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i am doing 20-17 click, and off shelf rates (10-7). to me its perfect for a bit more spirited dd. lol
pretty amazing we found the same rear numbers of click for the same rate
i am running 275 tires all around, and the car has stock weight, SSL
Old Jul 10, 2017, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You are girls...LOL

My car is on 10k/12k (valved accordingly), I run them at 14/12 clicks on the street on the 265 RE11's. NT01's on track need them cranked down to about 6 clicks out depending on the track.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You are girls...LOL

My car is on 10k/12k (valved accordingly), I run them at 14/12 clicks on the street on the 265 RE11's. NT01's on track need them cranked down to about 6 clicks out depending on the track.
i guess you like it rough . lol

Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:15 AM
EvoM Guru

You are girls...LOL

Yeah, on the soft side by high performance standards. One thing that I don't understand is that I've driven another Evo with R&Ts with 11k/11k springs and Ohlin's default damper settings, and it seemingly rides nearly as comfortably as mine. And he has the same suspension bushings as I was running. I had my dampers at the default settings before, any sharp edged bumps beat the crap out me.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

The ohlins do a great job of masking high spring rates.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Yeah, on the soft side by high performance standards. One thing that I don't understand is that I've driven another Evo with R&Ts with 11k/11k springs and Ohlin's default damper settings, and it seemingly rides nearly as comfortably as mine. And he has the same suspension bushings as I was running. I had my dampers at the default settings before, any sharp edged bumps beat the crap out me.
so you saying , even for DD there is a benefit for a higher spring rate without loosing the comfortable ride?
I have never played spring rates with Ohlins in my car. So i am wondering should i do then a harder springs.
But my 99% of driving with this car is dd, not track.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 01:55 PM
EvoM Guru

My friends X has 10k/10k on the stock valving from Ohlins. Says it rides as good as his Infiniti Q50 daily driver.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

My friends X has 10k/10k on the stock valving from Ohlins. Says it rides as good as his Infiniti Q50 daily driver.
Does his Q50 have coilovers too? :-) But seriously, I get the point to an extent. Newer luxury performance sedans tend to run a bit more damping that translates into more vehicle movement and more feeling of the bumps. I've not been in a Q50, but I can say for sure that my Evo is not as comfortable to DD as my wife's C300 with the sport suspension package. Perhaps it depends on the roads in the area as well. Portland roads have gotten somewhat worse in recent years.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Q50 was stock struts with Stillen lowering springs. I rode in the Q50 before and after the springs, they didn't really change the ride, at all.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I have Ohlins on my NC Miata revalved for 12k/7k springs. Standard Ohlins springs are 7k/4k. The ride at 20 clicks from full stiff is pretty compliant considering the weight of the car and the spring rates, easily daily-able. But you're not exactly gonna confuse it with a camry. maybe something hardcore performance oreinted like Porsche's GTx cars. its stiffer than I remember by Evo X being on GTWorx springs. turning the damping stiffer quickly puts it into rattle your fillings loose territory though.

Quick Reply: Ohlin Road & Track dampening/rebound setting