Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

No dust pads

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
lol - i'm not expecting miracles. i'm expecting something better than a naked wheel, unless there are negative side effects, i.e., how it responds to extreme heat - will it melt & merge with brake dust and be impossible to get off? or will it withstand it? will it remove the wheel's finish? etc.

just evaluating & analyzing to make sure there are no crazy side effects that would make a go-car want to use it less than a show-car. if it's no bueno in some way, no problem, i dont have to use it. If it's all pros and no cons, the idea of making it easier to get brake dust off my wheels is appealing
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:16 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
lol - i'm not expecting miracles. i'm expecting something better than a naked wheel, unless there are negative side effects, i.e., how it responds to extreme heat - will it melt & merge with brake dust and be impossible to get off? or will it withstand it? will it remove the wheel's finish? etc.
You don't seem to understand. This technology is a miracle of sorts. In order for it to happen for you, it needs to be payed the respect that it deserves - meaning, prep and application. Take a look at the video posted earlier. It can spell the difference between the product lasting only a few weeks vs months and months.

just evaluating & analyzing to make sure there are no crazy side effects that would make a go-car want to use it less than a show-car. if it's no bueno in some way, no problem, i dont have to use it. If it's all pros and no cons, the idea of making it easier to get brake dust off my wheels is appealing
Given your concerns, I'd suggest looking into this further than asking questions on a forum where only one individual had even heard of this, and he'll be gone in a few days. As soon as the ebay auction is over. Good luck.

Last edited by FJF; Jul 20, 2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

appreciate your input; I just did that yesterday evening, reached out to adams to get some feedback on how this would work for track cars as opposed to show cars, mentioning specifically heat & the abuse they take, compared to a show car. will report back in what they say
Old Jul 20, 2017, 07:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
My detail guy here in Vegas uses Ceramic Pro 9H. Used it on my wife's car. Looks unreal in person. Better than a new car. And it washes so easy it's ridiculous.
Attached Thumbnails No dust pads-photo358.jpg   No dust pads-photo630.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jul 20, 2017)
Old Jul 20, 2017, 07:25 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

appreciate your input; I just did that yesterday evening, reached out to adams to get some feedback on how this would work for track cars as opposed to show cars, mentioning specifically heat & the abuse they take, compared to a show car. will report back in what they say
Heh, you may want to try CarPro, Gyeon, or Gtechniqe - folks who actually design and manufacture SiO2 products. They've been used in many motorsports applications. Hell, a quick cruise through Google can yield volumes of reference points. Similarly, a quick cruise through Google would point to Adam's being a reseller; they don't manufacture the coating they sell. On a totally personal note, this one of the more startling discussions I've had, solely due to the information lying at one's fingertips. Yet, mysteries abound.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
FWIW, companies like Adam's, Chemical Guys, and AMMO - Youtube brands, in essence - are typically not favored by the professional/enthusiast sector of the market. This isn't to say all their wares are crap. For example, Adam's VRT/ CG VRP is an excellent interior dressing, though I personally think there's a better option for the plastics in our Evos, specifically.
So very true! Part of a few detailing groups on FB and the hate for CG is unreal!

zeRep
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

for what it's worth, Adam's did get back to me on this - their chemists (manufacturers?) said "the cured coating is good to 750c, at which point it transforms to a different ceramic which is good to 1800c. Most grades of stainless steel melt somewhere around 1400c, so I suspect the coating with be just fine."

distributors or not, appreciate them getting back to me on this. fwiw 750c is 1382F. my brakes have seen that for sure, there's no way the actual wheels have.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah, the wheel would fall off the car at somewhere in the 600-900*F range. That's the forging temp of most aluminum alloys, the temp at which the metal becomes fairly workable (deformable).
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jul 20, 2017)
Old Jul 20, 2017, 01:57 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

for what it's worth, Adam's did get back to me on this - their chemists (manufacturers?) said "the cured coating is good to 750c, at which point it transforms to a different ceramic which is good to 1800c. Most grades of stainless steel melt somewhere around 1400c, so I suspect the coating with be just fine."

distributors or not, appreciate them getting back to me on this. fwiw 750c is 1382F. my brakes have seen that for sure, there's no way the actual wheels have.
Sales people/ costumer service.

I'm leaving on the 31st and heading to an annual automotive event that we were asked to attend. There's a detail shop on premises and they're allowing us to prep the car in their wash bay. Can't wait to tell this story!