Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clockspring & Steering Angle Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 09:19 AM
Evom Guest Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clockspring & Steering Angle Sensor question

Hey guys,

Got a bit of a technical question I'm hoping to get some answers to.
My clockspring was damaged and I ordered a new one to replace it (still waiting on the part). My steering wheel was about 10-12 degrees to the right and the car would track straight on the road. Previous owner did some work on the T-case and I assume they messed with the steering column and didn't set it back correctly. I kept getting an AYC light (skidding car image) after driving around for a while. I decided to remove the steering wheel to get it straight again and then align the car. During this process I discovered the clock spring was in fact damaged.

Question: When replacing the clock spring with the new one, is there a way to know the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) is centered or at 0 degrees? Are there any markings on the SAS to ensure zero degrees / straight? I am wondering if the SAS is still in the "10 degrees right position". Currently the steering wheel and tires are straight as I temporarily placed it on the car until the part arrives. I am uncertain if the SAS moved during this process and wanted to know if I can center it or how do I go about doing that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Old Apr 16, 2018, 01:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You should not have removed the wheel, you should have disconnected the steering shaft from the rack, straightened the wheel, and reinstalled the shaft. It's behind an access panel behind the throttle and brake pedals. Because, right now, even though your steering wheel and tires are straight, the steering column is wrong. So the SAS is reading wrong, and the turn signal auto off will get triggered in the wrong spot.

Once you get it all lined back up, you'll likely need to go to the dealer and have them clear the code(s) and relearn center for the SAS.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 01:44 PM
Evom Guest Editor

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You should not have removed the wheel, you should have disconnected the steering shaft from the rack, straightened the wheel, and reinstalled the shaft. It's behind an access panel behind the throttle and brake pedals. Because, right now, even though your steering wheel and tires are straight, the steering column is wrong. So the SAS is reading wrong, and the turn signal auto off will get triggered in the wrong spot.

Once you get it all lined back up, you'll likely need to go to the dealer and have them clear the code(s) and relearn center for the SAS.
Thanks for the help. Will give that a try once I have everything lined back up.

Cheers
Old Apr 16, 2018, 01:49 PM
Evom Guest Editor

And it seems they pulled the steering wheel before I got the car, maybe running an aftermarket wheel before. Its back to the OEM wheel. Saw clear indications that the wheel wasn't off for the first time - bolts and screws all had marks on them as if they were pulled in the past. So I am not sure if they messed with anything else as well.

Cheers