Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire size 255/35 18 v 265/35 18

Old May 28, 2018, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire size 255/35 18 v 265/35 18

Hey guys,

I have XXR 550 18" 9.75 width, offset + 19
I currently have stock size tires on without any issues but they are nearing the end of their life cycle. I'm looking at the firestone firehawk indy 500 tire for an occasional auto and track day set up, mostly a daily driver though.
I do not want to roll my fenders - From what I've read the 265/35 is the best option but I run the risk of possibly having to roll my rears at the very least.

My concern with the 255/35 is the smaller diameter and shorter sidewall - will this have a noticeable difference/reduction in performance compared to the 265/35 as an occasional track use vehicle?
I'm willing to sacrifice the flush look if i got the benefit of a meater tire without rubbing and having to roll the fenders.

I'm on fortune auto coilovers 9K 9K with a moderate drop in height.

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm on 10.5 wide wheels with 265/35/18 tires. +30 offset rear, +18 offset front. My car is lowered, but not "slammed". I every so lightly rolled my rear fenders, but I don't think I needed to. I autocross and have no issues with rubbing, even on bumpy lots and roads.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gazzer
Hey guys,

I currently have stock size tires on without any issues but they are nearing the end of their life cycle. I'm looking at the firestone firehawk indy 500 tire for an occasional auto and track day set up, mostly a daily driver though.
I do not want to roll my fenders - From what I've read the 265/35 is the best option but I run the risk of possibly having to roll my rears at the very least.

My concern with the 255/35 is the smaller diameter and shorter sidewall - will this have a noticeable difference/reduction in performance compared to the 265/35 as an occasional track use vehicle?
I'm willing to sacrifice the flush look if i got the benefit of a meater tire without rubbing and having to roll the fenders.

Thanks!

I’m running 18x9.5 + 15 CE28Ns with 255/35 Firehawk Indy 500s. I purhased the wheels used, so I didn’t have a choice as far as tire selection. I’m dropped a good amount and don’t have any issues with rubbing on the 255s. Whenever I do get new tires, it would likely be a 265/35...

This is an interesting read as it relates to tire selection for max performance.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...RFORMANCE.aspx
The following users liked this post:
gazzer (Jun 3, 2018)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigT
I'm on 10.5 wide wheels with 265/35/18 tires. +30 offset rear, +18 offset front. My car is lowered, but not "slammed". I every so lightly rolled my rear fenders, but I don't think I needed to. I autocross and have no issues with rubbing, even on bumpy lots and roads.
That rear is pretty aggressive too, Nice. I think I'l be ok from what I've researched with 265/35.
I have > two finger gap between arch and tire.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ninja05

I’m running 18x9.5 + 15 CE28Ns with 255/35 Firehawk Indy 500s. I purhased the wheels used, so I didn’t have a choice as far as tire selection. I’m dropped a good amount and don’t have any issues with rubbing on the 255s. Whenever I do get new tires, it would likely be a 265/35...

This is an interesting read as it relates to tire selection for max performance.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...RFORMANCE.aspx

How do you like the Firehawk Indy 500? would you get them again? I'm hearing good things about them for a lower cost tire.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 06:21 PM

How do you like the Firehawk Indy 500? would you get them again? I'm hearing good things about them for a lower cost tire.
My previous summer setup (albeit on stock wheels) were Pilot Super Sports and then the newer Pilot Sport 4S’s... so I was a bit unsure about whether I wanted to keep the Indy 500s when I got the wheels since I didn’t know anything about them. Looked up some reviews on Tirerack and they did a test where it beat out the BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2... so I decided to keep the tires to try them out, not to mention they were practically brand new. With that being said, I am pleasantly surprised by the Indys. They grip well on dry and rain-soaked pavement. The PS4S definitely had better outright grip but the Indys definitely grip well. The steering response is also quick tho the ride is a bit more on the firm side. Overall, I think I would probably get them again (but in a 265/35 lol).

Old Jun 3, 2018, 06:26 PM

sorry, I think this got double posted...

Old Jun 3, 2018, 07:25 PM

My previous summer setup (albeit on stock wheels) were Pilot Super Sports and then the newer Pilot Sport 4S’s... so I was a bit unsure about whether I wanted to keep the Indy 500s when I got the wheels since I didn’t know anything about them. Looked up some reviews on Tirerack and they did a test where it beat out the BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2... so I decided to keep the tires to try them out, not to mention they were practically brand new. With that being said, I am pleasantly surprised by the Indys. They grip well on dry and rain-soaked pavement. The PS4S definitely had better outright grip but the Indys definitely grip well. The steering response is also quick tho the ride is a bit more on the firm side. Overall, I think I would probably get them again (but in a 265/35 lol).

Thanks for the insight there. They do seem like they can hold their own by all accounts. I will probably go with them or pilot super sports (I've seen some killer deals on ebay for PSS but they dont last long, I might hold out and see if i can pick up a set for a decent price)
That article was very helpful!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 06:40 AM

Yeah I thought the PSS/PS4S were great for a DD tire. They don’t last that long but they last longer than some of the tires in its class. I don’t recall how many miles I had on mine but I replaced them after 4 seasons (I ran them generally from May-Oct). They still had about 5/32 when I replaced them. I guess they had gotten hard from storing them in my garage for those 4 seasons and weren’t gripping anywhere near what it used to (evidently you are supposed to store them in a temp controlled environment haha). There are definitely some good deals around for the PSS since they got replaced by the PS4S, but I would try to find out the manufacturing date to make sure they aren’t over 6 years old...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks!
The offset on these wheels is pretty aggressive but I ran 18x9.5 +22 RE30 with Nitto Invo 265/35s on Swift Spec Rs without any rubbing issues and my rears were not rolled.
Since XXRs are a slightly wider rim and you said your ride height isn't totally slammed, then go with the 265/35. Reason I say this is a 255 will be even more stretched on a 9.75 than it already is on a 9.5, that is the main "con" but if you do not care for the stretched look it will give you added room should you want to lower the car more.

A 265 will eliminate any stretch for the most part and you should not need any fender mods because you mentioned of the conservative ride height.

As for the Firestone Indys, they are a great tire for the money. A lot cheaper than the Michelins too. Pic below on a set of CEs I ran for some time. Those were 18x9.5.

Second pic is my MR with 265/35. Lowered on Swift Spec Rs. This should help you gauge ride height with relation to your set up. At this height, I did not rub at all.

this pic shows how a proper tire should look... not stretched.

Federals are also something to consider if you like the Indys. Federals do run wide though so if you do get them, I would go with a 255 as they tend to run one size wider than the indicated size.

When choosing tires, look at the Tread Wear rating. Anything below 300 will wear faster than say a Pilot Sport AS which is rated at 500.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
The offset on these wheels is pretty aggressive but I ran 18x9.5 +22 RE30 with Nitto Invo 265/35s on Swift Spec Rs without any rubbing issues and my rears were not rolled.
Since XXRs are a slightly wider rim and you said your ride height isn't totally slammed, then go with the 265/35. Reason I say this is a 255 will be even more stretched on a 9.75 than it already is on a 9.5, that is the main "con" but if you do not care for the stretched look it will give you added room should you want to lower the car more.

A 265 will eliminate any stretch for the most part and you should not need any fender mods because you mentioned of the conservative ride height.

As for the Firestone Indys, they are a great tire for the money. A lot cheaper than the Michelins too. Pic below on a set of CEs I ran for some time. Those were 18x9.5.

Second pic is my MR with 265/35. Lowered on Swift Spec Rs. This should help you gauge ride height with relation to your set up. At this height, I did not rub at all.

this pic shows how a proper tire should look... not stretched.

Federals are also something to consider if you like the Indys. Federals do run wide though so if you do get them, I would go with a 255 as they tend to run one size wider than the indicated size.

When choosing tires, look at the Tread Wear rating. Anything below 300 will wear faster than say a Pilot Sport AS which is rated at 500.
@Astro_Train I have your old wheels!! (The Bronze CEs). My friend bought them off you and I ended up buying it from him. I recognize the pic because that’s what he sent me lol. Small world.
The following users liked this post:
japspec (May 31, 2021)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:10 AM

I agree with Astro_Train about going with the 265s. At a moderate drop you should be ok as far as rubbing. Below is a picture of 255s on a 9.5 which has a slight stretch. I’m dropped more than Astro’s car but since they are 255s they haven’t rubbed...

Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I gave him a good deal and he sells them ... lol.. They look great on your X though!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
I gave him a good deal and he sells them ... lol.. They look great on your X though!
LOL! Thanks! Well he’s been trying to trade for my leather Recaros for his suede Recaros for years... so he used the CEs to entice me to make the trade plus some cash on top. Couldn’t turn down the chance to get bronze CEs haha
Old Jun 4, 2018, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

LOL! Thanks! Well he’s been trying to trade for my leather Recaros for his suede Recaros for years... so he used the CEs to entice me to make the trade plus some cash on top. Couldn’t turn down the chance to get bronze CEs haha
I would actually have traded my leathers for the half suede half leathers. I personally did not like the full leather Recaros in my MR-T when I had it. But to each his own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire size 255/35 18 v 265/35 18