15 evo x gsr 30k mile warped rotors - Page 4 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo X Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

15 evo x gsr 30k mile warped rotors

Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

It was stripped when someone gunned it on or over tightened it. Finished it off when they went to remove it.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 03:46 PM

They say dirt but yes overtightening could strip it and maybe warp something. When I brought it up in the car with the rep the tech said they were all hand torqued. The dealer is the only place the wheels have ever come off.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 03:59 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evn2rzn View Post
They say dirt but yes overtightening could strip it and maybe warp something. When I brought it up in the car with the rep the tech said they were all hand torqued. The dealer is the only place the wheels have ever come off.
I've honestly never seen a dealership or tire place hand-torque lug nuts. It's all about using an impact and, if you are lucky, MAYBE a torque stick. They messed up, but you can't expect them to take the blame. I've caught shops doing crappy work and they swear "it wasn't me".
Old Nov 28, 2018, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj View Post
I've honestly never seen a dealership or tire place hand-torque lug nuts. It's all about using an impact and, if you are lucky, MAYBE a torque stick. They messed up, but you can't expect them to take the blame. I've caught shops doing crappy work and they swear "it wasn't me".
yep this /\/\/\

They impacted it on. Maybe did not even get it started threaded correctly. You have to ask for the use of torque sticks now. Actually had to replace a stud once on the evo when i had tires put on at a Tire Rack retailer. They used impact gun. After replacing the stud, i have always asked them to use torque sticks or hand torque the lugs. And I watch them to make sure......:-)

Oh and that goes for all my cars, Hyundai to Mercedes to Ram 3500
Old Nov 28, 2018, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Just my 2 cents having had an Evo for 11 years.

Pad deposits=> first look up the proper bedding procedure .. then bed the pads properly,
Note that some pads are more prone to deposits than others. YMMV :-)
Make sure the hub mounting surface and rotor mating surface is clean.....i mean really clean shiny metal
Never re use pads that show taper..if they taper find out why ( caliper, caliper mount, stuck piston etc )
Tiny bit of lube on the pins, the spring in the caliper and the pad mount tabs reduces any squeal from vibration harmonics ==> doesnt do anything for pad deposits

Harder pads squeal more, deposit less. See lube items above

When in doubt, re-bed the pads.....

If the issue goes away after a long drive on the interstate at constant 75 mph speeds, it is because you now have an even coating of pad deposits on the rotor......:-)

Lastly some pads come with an abrasive coating on the pads to clean off the rotors...follow the break in instructions that come with the pads
Old Dec 3, 2018, 09:10 AM

Here's the update, made it through the weekend without issue, praying it's fixed properly now! If it goes bad again we need to focus on calipers.

Thanks again everybody!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.