EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-259/)
-   -   Rotas for track use. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/558155-rotas-track-use.html)

Mr. Move May 29, 2011 11:16 AM

Rotas for track use.

Alright ive read not to use rotas for track-use. Well rota just came out with the "boost" wheel which is a advan rgII replica that im very interested in. Has anyone used rotas for heavy track use? Or should i save up for the real thing?

Please no arguments about buying fake wheels etc etc. I just want some feedback from someone who actually tracks there car on rotas. thank you.

J5isalive2 May 29, 2011 01:40 PM

there are a couple raceteams that use only Rota wheels...

Allow the Volk fanboys to scare you if you must i suppose...

disturbedfan121 May 29, 2011 01:43 PM

if its round, looks good, correct size/offset it'll do the job lol

gsrboi80 May 29, 2011 01:46 PM

Of course you can track the Rotas without issue many many many people do across many many many platforms, they will work just fine. Though may be heavier than their Advan counterpart.

Mr. Move May 29, 2011 09:30 PM

Ight ight thanks for the positive feedback ill have to get the weights for both wheels

Kracka May 29, 2011 09:37 PM

LOL...either buy the real deal or stay stock. Wheels = safety item, don't risk it.

Frankiago May 29, 2011 10:41 PM

Enkei RPF1's and Enkei PF01's are both ~18 lbs a piece and cost between $1200-1300 shipped.

Food for thought.

Frankiago May 29, 2011 10:44 PM

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6298689_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5401171_n.jpg

(bought these wheels for the track)

CrunchyMilk May 29, 2011 10:47 PM

The Boost has been out for years

Volks, Enkei's and Advans break on the track too but lesser manufacturing processes and looser tolerances are byproducts of less expensive rolling stock.

There are two camps on this one but ultimately it's your choice.

gsrboi80 May 30, 2011 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Frankiago (Post 9355525)
Enkei RPF1's and Enkei PF01's are both ~18 lbs a piece and cost between $1200-1300 shipped.

Food for thought.

Truth. But why the hell you want the same damn wheels as everyone and their mom is beyond me.

Any wheel can break anyone that says you are risking your life on Rotas is rediculous and a fool.

They are tested to exceed JWL/VIA standards and have been tracked in many many facets of motorsports for years yes before the EVO hit our shores

I owned Volks sold em and now have Rotas. To be honest I was sick of worring about them.

raytrix May 30, 2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Move (Post 9355428)
Ight ight thanks for the positive feedback ill have to get the weights for both wheels

If you like sugar coated answers to make you feel better about your purchase then more power to you. {thumbup}

raytrix May 30, 2011 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80 (Post 9355829)
Truth. But why the hell you want the same damn wheels as everyone and their mom is beyond me.

Any wheel can break anyone that says you are risking your life on Rotas is rediculous and a fool.

They are tested to exceed JWL/VIA standards and have been tracked in many many facets of motorsports for years yes before the EVO hit our shores

I owned Volks sold em and now have Rotas. To be honest I was sick of worring about them.

BTW to back-up frankie here since he'll give the same answer is because RPF1 is the most affordable, lightest, and safest track wheel you can buy without having to go to semi-forged wheels or fully forged wheels to retain the lightness and strength of a rim. On the track no one gives a sh!t what wheels you have on, for the driver as long as it serves it's purpose (light, strong, and won't fall apart after hitting one apex).

gsrboi80 May 30, 2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by raytrix (Post 9355860)
BTW to back-up frankie here since he'll give the same answer is because RPF1 is the most affordable, lightest, and safest track wheel you can buy without having to go to semi-forged wheels or fully forged wheels to retain the lightness and strength of a rim. On the track no one gives a sh!t what wheels you have on, for the driver as long as it serves it's purpose (light, strong, and won't fall apart after hitting one apex).

Oh thats fine but to think a Rota is going to fall apart "After Hitting 1 Apex" or even after 100 track days is silly and foolish.

I'm glad you don't care that 20000 other Evo owners have the same wheels as you. Not something that fancies me sorry.

raytrix May 30, 2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80 (Post 9355877)
Oh thats fine but to think a Rota is going to fall apart "After Hitting 1 Apex" or even after 100 track days is silly and foolish.

I'm glad you don't care that 20000 other Evo owners have the same wheels as you. Not something that fancies me sorry.

Hows it foolish if I actually indeed saw it happen before where this RX-8 came off the track with the rim split at the lip after clipping one apex on a set of Rotas. {thumbup}

nemsin May 30, 2011 11:26 AM

If you really are buying them for track use, I would suggest a proven track wheel like the RPF1's that were mentioned. They are light weight and their design is proven strong for the track.

If you like the look and price of the rota boost wheels, then buy them. But dont fool yourself into thinking they make a good track wheel.