EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-259/)
-   -   Do BBS Wheels Really Suck This Bad? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/621466-do-bbs-wheels-really-suck-bad.html)

sith_killer_99 Jul 23, 2012 04:57 PM

Do BBS Wheels Really Suck This Bad?

So a couple weeks ago I was washing the car. I went to wash the BBS wheels and a big honking "chip" just falls off. Okay, it wasn't THAT big. ;)

I take it to the dealer and they say it's a "rock chip" so "no warranty repair" (car has less than 1,000 miles on it). I've been driving the car to and from work, still baby the **** out of it, no off-roading, yet. :lol:

So my questions is, do BBS wheels really suck this bad? I drove the piss out of my Ralliart and never suffered a single "rock chip" and I gave them plenty of opportunity to get some. ;)

Also, for those who have suffered "rock chips" from their poorly made cheap arse BBS wheels, what do I have to look forward to, will this chip result in further flaking on the finish?

Do I bother with trying to buy another off EvoM or Ebay, or do they just really suck so bad that it's bound to happen again in a thousand miles? :confused:

Is it possible to have a chip repaired?

On a side note I also noticed a nice little obnoxious annotation on the service order "PICTURES TAKEN" no warranty for you, ****er, and don't ever try it again. :p

I'm guessing I'm on their black list anyway, ever since they (Mitsubishi) got hosed for $10K on that faulty Ralliart transmission. :lol:

Warpath Jul 23, 2012 05:45 PM

A pic would help.

sith_killer_99 Jul 23, 2012 06:04 PM

Oh yeah, I guess it would. :lol:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6033/p1030053z.jpg

SamsonEvoX Jul 23, 2012 07:04 PM

Wait, they wrote that on the service order? As for the wheels, BBS does a great job finishing their wheels. That looks more like a gouge than a regular chip. You obviously did not scrape the wheel. The wheel can be repaired by a reputable wheel restoration company. Just the same, it really shouldn't happen. I wonder if BBS has touch up paint. Years ago, I had some very expensive BBS wheels on a VW Scirocco and they sold gold touch up paint. I think that the chip could be sanded down and touched up.

robnval Jul 24, 2012 10:17 AM

Bbs does in deed still do touch up paint... I have some for my BMW and think I still have some for my super rs' that are on my jetta somewhere.. Get in touch with bbs na they should be able to help you

Mistaken Jul 24, 2012 10:32 AM

Just get it repaired at a wheel repair shop. Shouldnt cost more than $50-60. Way cheaper than buying a new one too.

SD_Lurker Jul 24, 2012 05:01 PM

Highly doubt a rock did that. .

Hennessy2remedy Jul 24, 2012 05:08 PM

looks like something heavy dropped on it. the stealership wins again huh... *******s

teethandnails Jul 24, 2012 06:02 PM

Hmmm... Never had a Rota wheel chip. ;-)

eve-slow Jul 24, 2012 06:06 PM

Wait till you take that sweet outer wheel weight off.

sith_killer_99 Jul 24, 2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by teethandnails (Post 10300225)

:p

So there are wheel shops out there that can fix this. That's good to know, I've never dealt with an issue like this before.

I'll have to ask around, see if there are any good shops in the Fort Hood/Killeen area.

sith_killer_99 Jul 24, 2012 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by eve-slow (Post 10300241)
Wait till you take that sweet outer wheel weight off.

Ugh, I never even thought about that! :crap: My Ralliart used weights inside the wheel, there was no lip to attach them to.

Crap!

Oh well, gotta pay to play. :lol:

Iowa999 Jul 24, 2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by teethandnails (Post 10300225)

+1 They skip that step and go straight to snapping in half. :)

lowkey Jul 24, 2012 08:07 PM

Somewhere on that there wheel you will see "forged", meaning they are strong and light. Won't see that on Rotas.

ugakirk Jul 24, 2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999 (Post 10300335)
+1 They skip that step and go straight to snapping in half. :)

Hahaha. Nice one Iowa.

Yea just go to the local BMW place aor Mercedes dealership and ask if they have a wheel repair guy that comes by. Most high end dealers use these mobile wheel repair guys and they make it look just as good as new. Shouldn't be too expensive..