EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-259/)
-   -   Rear fenders rub after installing 18x9.5 +20 with 245's (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/629973-rear-fenders-rub-after-installing-18x9-5-20-245s.html)

acm_evo Sep 24, 2012 04:33 PM

Rear fenders rub after installing 18x9.5 +20 with 245's

3 Attachment(s)
Last weekend, I installed a set of Work CR Kiwami, size 18x9.5 +20. Since I was using 245/40/18's on them, after reading all the threads re: wheel fitment, I figured there would be no rear fender interference. Well, that was not the case. I was getting a slight rub, especially on the right rear making left turns over bumpy roads. The car is lowered on Eibach springs, and BFG G-Force Comp-2's are the tires I'm using. Comparing specs to the OEM Yokohama's, the BFG's are more square and have a slightly larger diameter, and that's more than likely the reason why I was rubbing while other people stated their cars were fine on 245's. I said "was rubbing" because I ended up getting the rear fenders shaved today during lunch. This way, I can go 265's with the next set of tires.

Just thought I'd post this info, in case anyone is interested.

Adio Sep 27, 2012 07:10 PM

looks Excellent!

Iowa999 Sep 27, 2012 07:14 PM

Here's what I would do, ACM: flip the front camber bolts to -2, set the rear to -1.5 and the rubbing will be gone and the car will handle better.

SD_Lurker Sep 29, 2012 04:11 AM

Shaved? Please tell me the inner lip wasn't cut back or off? You'll regret that if so.

acm_evo Oct 3, 2012 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Adio (Post 10424383)
looks Excellent!

Thank you, sir...:)

acm_evo Oct 3, 2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999 (Post 10424391)
Here's what I would do, ACM: flip the front camber bolts to -2, set the rear to -1.5 and the rubbing will be gone and the car will handle better.

Thanks for the input. However, I'm running around - 1.5 all the way around, and inside thread tire wear is bad enough as-is...

acm_evo Oct 3, 2012 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by SD_Lurker (Post 10426681)
Shaved? Please tell me the inner lip wasn't cut back or off? You'll regret that if so.

Yes, the inside lip was shaved back a couple mm's. Why would i regret it? I did seal the cut edges with factory touch up paint, and here in CA where i live rusting is really not a major issue. I debated whether getting the fenders rolled or shaved, and I guess i chose what i thought, IMHO, was the safest way to solve the rubbing and not screw up the rear fenders' paint and straight edges. I've read countless threads about rolling vs. shaving, and i think there are pros-cons either way you go about it...

Iowa999 Oct 3, 2012 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by acm_evo (Post 10433365)
Thanks for the input. However, I'm running around - 1.5 all the way around, and inside thread tire wear is bad enough as-is...

What's the toe?

acm_evo Oct 3, 2012 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999 (Post 10433451)
What's the toe?

Hi Iowa, good question. Although i don't remember the exact specs, toe is within specs, and pretty close to 0. Prior to replacing tires and getting it realigned, toe was slightly off, and I'm sure that contributed to the right front tire wearing out the inside shoulder. Car was realigned again after the spring installation, and set to as close to 0 toe as possible. Hopefully, this time around front tire wear will be better.

Iowa999 Oct 3, 2012 03:23 PM

Well, then the issue with the rubbing in the rear really boils down to the incredible tread-width of the Comp-2s. With the same rear alignment, my R-S3s are no where near the fender lips on a +23 offset, for example. But, of course, a 245/40/18 Comp-2 is almost an inch wider at the tread than the same-size R-S3. Let this be a general warning to everyone that you have to take the tire's specifics into account when using what people have said will fit without rubbing.

chu Oct 4, 2012 05:34 AM

Have you tried to figure out where exactly it's rubbing? I've fitted some big wheels and tires on an X, and have them fitted perfectly without rubbing; only needed to roll the fenders flat. I would advise you to pull a shock off, compress the wheel, and see where it rubs. Then address that issue.

acm_evo Oct 4, 2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999 (Post 10434157)
Well, then the issue with the rubbing in the rear really boils down to the incredible tread-width of the Comp-2s. With the same rear alignment, my R-S3s are no where near the fender lips on a +23 offset, for example. But, of course, a 245/40/18 Comp-2 is almost an inch wider at the tread than the same-size R-S3. Let this be a general warning to everyone that you have to take the tire's specifics into account when using what people have said will fit without rubbing.

You're absolutely correct in that the issue has to do with the width of the Comp-2's compared to other tires of the same size. Also, keep in mind that a +23 offset rim does not stick out as much as a +20 offset rim.

Originally Posted by chu (Post 10435069)
Have you tried to figure out where exactly it's rubbing? I've fitted some big wheels and tires on an X, and have them fitted perfectly without rubbing; only needed to roll the fenders flat. I would advise you to pull a shock off, compress the wheel, and see where it rubs. Then address that issue.

Oh yeah, they were rubbing (slightly) on the outside rear fender lip, right at the top of the fender arch. And I did address the issue; boy did I ever...:)

WarmMilk Oct 4, 2012 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999 (Post 10434157)

a 245 comp-2 is wider than other 265's? aren't there people running 265 starspecs (also pretty wide for their size) on rpf1's +15's without rubbing?

this kinda sucks, cause i was planning to get these wheels with some 265's in the spring...

WarmMilk Oct 4, 2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by acm_evo (Post 10435461)

Oh yeah, they were rubbing (slightly) on the outside rear fender lip, right at the top of the fender arch. And I did address the issue; boy did I ever...:)

care to elaborate? maybe pics if you're nice?

Devgamer Oct 4, 2012 11:45 AM

I have the exact same wheels but I'm lowered on swift spec r. I currently still have the OEM tires so there is a slight stretch, but I certainly don't have any rubbing issues.