EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-259/)
-   -   2-piece MR ROTOR!?! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/745578-2-piece-mr-rotor.html)

EVOX530 Dec 19, 2017 08:10 PM

2-piece MR ROTOR!?!

Are there any new rotor rings replacement for the front mr oem hat?? On the market?

LetsGetThisDone Dec 20, 2017 11:25 AM

Racing brake makes them.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Rotor-Rin...406-04-311.htm

You can also put regular single piece rotors on the car without issue.

NFSEvolutionGSR Dec 24, 2017 06:57 AM

I have replacement MR rotors made for me periodically. There are a couple of things that you need to assess before deciding to replace the rotor ring:

1). What do your bobbins look like? Is there excessive corrosion on them? If so, stop right here and go buy a set of Stoptech ARK (Aerorotors). You will spend less money in the long run.

2). What pads do you run/plan on running? If the pads are very aggressive, stop right here and get yourself the Stoptech rotors. I believe that the Racing Brake rotors can take punishment, but I have no direct experience with that and cannot make a recommendation for them based on that fact. Maybe LGTD does and can shed light on their hardness.

3). Do you have an Inch-Pound torque wrench and feel comfortable using it? There is a very specific process involved with changing out rotor rings, and over-tightening the hardware can and will lead to warp-age over time. I learned this the hard way.

NFSEvolutionGSR Dec 24, 2017 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11793493)
You can also put regular single piece rotors on the car without issue.

Yes, but if you plan on tracking the car, 2-piece rotors do make quite a bit of difference that is well worth the added expense, in my opinion.

EVOX530 Dec 24, 2017 12:37 PM

Trying to keep the 2-piece rotors more for DD maybe track in the future. But also the back going 2-piece. Kinda don’t wanna go slotted, drilled or both. If I do track I’ll have another set of pads for that, but for now just looking for rotor rings. Idk if there anything new coming on the market. I’m still see same stuff.

LetsGetThisDone Dec 26, 2017 07:24 AM

My first hand experience with RB rotors is that they're awesome. I have their 1 piece directional vanes on my car for track days using Raybestos ST43 pads, and they haven't worn much. They also produced more brake torque then the centric rotors they replaced. A friend has their 2pc rotors on his X with RB ET800 pads and they work well.

I have another friend who is a lazy idiot, and left his 2pc rotors and Raybestos ST43's installed on his X for regular street driving, and after probably about 12k miles and 5 track days, the pads are about 1/2, and the rotors are about worn out (slots are almost gone). I will blame this on driving the ST43's on the street too much, they are known rotor killers if driven on the street a lot where they don't get up to temp.

OP, I would not get drilled rotors, they crack. Slotted or blanks is the way to go.

NFSEvolutionGSR Dec 28, 2017 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11794304)
My first hand experience with RB rotors is that they're awesome. I have their 1 piece directional vanes on my car for track days using Raybestos ST43 pads, and they haven't worn much. They also produced more brake torque then the centric rotors they replaced. A friend has their 2pc rotors on his X with RB ET800 pads and they work well.

Good deal. I wish that I got some sort of a discount through RB. The price has been what holds me back each and every time I go to buy their rings. Plus, I do not like that they shave the extra material off of the outside diameter of their rotors. I figure that that little lip of material helps keep pads straight in awkward applications (i.e. C6 Z06/Gransport).

LetsGetThisDone Dec 28, 2017 10:32 AM

For the Evo stuff, I haven't noticed an issue with the small diameter reduction.

Ther stuff is pricey, but they also a proprietary design with the center mount rotor, and convergent vanes. And it's does seem to work better than the stands mount 2pc rotors with standard directional vanes.

NFSEvolutionGSR Dec 28, 2017 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11794738)
And it's does seem to work better than the stands mount 2pc rotors with standard directional vanes.

Maybe one day I will investigate this.

WarmMilk Dec 28, 2017 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11794304)
I have another friend who is a lazy idiot, and left his 2pc rotors and Raybestos ST43's installed on his X for regular street driving, and after probably about 12k miles and 5 track days, the pads are about 1/2, and the rotors are about worn out (slots are almost gone). I will blame this on driving the ST43's on the street too much, they are known rotor killers if driven on the street a lot where they don't get up to temp.

Thats me on my Miata :D

Lucas19800 Jan 2, 2018 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by EVOX530 (Post 11793383)
Are there any new rotor rings replacement for the front mr oem hat?? On the market?

Disc Brakes Australia make them (Part No. DBA52223.1S), and Brakes Direct stock them http://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/dba52...ted-rotor.html
They fit AUDM MR models so I'm guessing they fit USDM but better ask the manufacturer or distributor.

kyoo Jan 2, 2018 06:25 AM

how much do the oem 2 piece rotors weigh?

LetsGetThisDone Jan 2, 2018 07:54 AM

Per RB, the OEM ring (just the ring) is 19.8lbs, and the RB replacement ring is 18lbs. I would gues the hat is 2-2.5lbs.

kyoo Jan 2, 2018 07:59 AM

interesting - a couple pounds lighter than the DB5000

LetsGetThisDone Jan 2, 2018 08:09 AM

That's just the ring. So make sure you're factoring that in. The bobbins and hat obviously add weight ;)