EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-259/)
-   -   Evo x Coilovers (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/753930-evo-x-coilovers.html)

SamBembs Apr 11, 2019 10:18 AM

Evo x Coilovers

Hi all, my front top mounts have started knocking pretty badly so i'm looking at what options i have that i'm not going to have to sell a kidney for. It seems as if the coilover route makes most sense seeing as the replacement oe stuff is so damn expensive. As much as i'd love a set of kw's i simply don't have that kind of cash! My car is primarily used for daily driving, commuting and a bit of back road bashing every now and again. I think i'm leaning towards the HSD monopro's as the reviews suggest that they're better than their price would have you believe. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these coilovers or has any better suggestions. i would wait and save for the kw's but time is of the essence now sadly! Thanks in advance.

LetsGetThisDone Apr 17, 2019 10:30 AM

Whats the price on Ohlin's R/T's over there compared to these? Here in the USA they can be had for only about $2k USD and they really out perform all the other coilovers in the $1-$2k USD segment by a land slide.

mar387 Apr 20, 2019 06:41 AM

I completely agree with letsgetthisdone. I have Ohlins on my Evo and they are great. I'm lowered about 1.5-2 from stock and the car handles like a beast and I've had zero issues with them. Looks like they can be purchased around $2,400 before taxes now.

SamBembs Apr 20, 2019 11:24 AM

Sorry for the slow reply, i completely forgot i posted this thread! On the recommendation of some local evo/jap car owners, i've bought a set of HSD monopros. They feel great so far, a bit stiff but not crashy and they were only £800 brand new. i know its a bit of a budget option but i dont need the best coilovers in the world if it s just a daily, the hardest i push it is in the back roads and although i haven't really pushed them yet, they feel great so far.

Ashfaq Ali Aug 23, 2019 08:15 AM

I have FEAL coilover now for about year and half with a moderate drop and medium setting . They are awesome , I paid 1400 for them . Click on my post and I have my car pic there .

AJV Aug 23, 2019 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ashfaq Ali (Post 11883964)
I have FEAL coilover now for about year and half with a moderate drop and medium setting . They are awesome , I paid 1400 for them . Click on my post and I have my car pic there .

I've had Feal's on for about 3 years now. Dropped about 1.5" all around and have been toying with the shock settings. They have been rock solid. Alignment has been perfect on the car. I did purchase the shock boot covers
to help keep road debris and dirt out of the piston.

LetsGetThisDone Aug 23, 2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by SamBembs (Post 11869392)
Sorry for the slow reply, i completely forgot i posted this thread! On the recommendation of some local evo/jap car owners, i've bought a set of HSD monopros. They feel great so far, a bit stiff but not crashy and they were only £800 brand new. i know its a bit of a budget option but i dont need the best coilovers in the world if it s just a daily, the hardest i push it is in the back roads and although i haven't really pushed them yet, they feel great so far.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. But just like what many fail to realize, the extra money spent on ohlins is not purely for the gain in high performance handling; the ride quality around town for normal daily driving can not be matched by the lower end coilovers.

Food for thought if you ever decide you want an upgrade in the future, or for anyone that stumbles across this thread.

booloop Dec 8, 2019 10:29 AM

+1 for Ohlins. I've had them on my car for 1.5 years with 0 issues. They ride smoother than stock with a light drop imo.