EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   Cobra to Evo X - am I nuts??? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/328168-cobra-evo-x-am-i-nuts.html)

t8kdown Feb 26, 2008 12:18 PM

Cobra to Evo X - am I nuts???

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Chris, I am 38, and live in Dayton, Ohio.

New to the forum and really like what I see, so far. I have been hanging out in a Mustang forum for the past 5 years, so it will take me some time to adjust.

Well, here is my story, as to how I got here:) (Sorry for the long read!!)

I have been a Ford guy for as long as I can remember. I alway's wanted a Mustang. I finally got one 5 years ago, an '01 GT Convertible. Loved the convertible top and, until now, always thought I would not get another car unless it was a convertible. While the GT was a great car, I wanted more - don't we all:D 2 years ago I had the opportunity to purchase an '03 Cobra convertible. Awsome power and I was really enjoying the car, except for one thing.....the thing is CURSED!!!!

I had the car for 21 hours and some old guy rear ends me. 3 months later my wife runs into the front end. About 3 months after that, a lady backs into the driveside door. Then, 3 weeks ago the attick access door in my garage magically lifted a foot in the air, turn in a way that it allowed itself to fall through the hole and landed corner down on the right front fender:crap:

Another problem with a mustang is the fact that they do not perform well in the snow. Living in Ohio creates a problem. To fix this problem, I purchased a "beater" when I got the GT. This allowed me to put the GT and Cobra in the garage for the winter months. Over the summer, sad to say, the "beater" beat no more. Instead of throwing away more money on another "beater" I decided to carpool to work with my wife on days that the weather was bad. This has worked out ok, but I started thinking - why pay for a car that I can not drive for 3-4 months:confused:

Lastly, I started autocrssing this summer. Love the sport, but was dissapointed in the performance of the Cobra. Plenty of power, but the weight and handling just didn't get it on those courses. Hated seeing an old VW Rabbit with better times. I realize there are different classes and divsions, but.....a VW Rabbit, no way!!!

My wife purchased an Outlander in November and we really like it. I talked to the owner of the Mitsubishi dealership (Great guy, Eric Sonnie - Medina Mitsubishi) and he told me about the Evo X that was coming out. The more I read, the more I like it. He calls me over the weekend and tells me he has a Graphit Grey Evo X with my name on it. He runs some numbers and I will be paying about $10 more than I pay now for the Cobra. In the end, I will be trading in the Cobra for an Evo X on Thursday:D

Seems like a great deal and a no brainer.....am I nuts or have I made the right decision???

evokel Feb 26, 2008 12:20 PM

sick. pics of both cars?

DJ Brett B Feb 26, 2008 12:20 PM

Smart move!

inphluence Feb 26, 2008 12:29 PM

sounds like a X is a better option for you. You won't regret it... have you been in an evo besides that time at the dealership?

Links0000 Feb 26, 2008 12:32 PM

Welcome to the Mitsubishi world!

UT_Evo Feb 26, 2008 12:43 PM

$10 more a month for a brand new car? :lol: I'd say you made a great decision. Welcome to craziness!

markymark1082 Feb 26, 2008 12:43 PM

the Evo sounds great for you.

c kim Feb 26, 2008 12:58 PM

cool, you'll enjoy the evo and it'll take care of you in the snow and on the track. Medina mitsubishi is the dealership that sells Buschur evos I believe so I'm sure they're great to deal with. Just wait for some mods to come out for it. AMS already yielded over 80whp on theirs with just bolt ons.

BocaShula Feb 26, 2008 01:04 PM

Mitsu all the way bro

ducker Feb 26, 2008 01:08 PM

Chop off ur mullet and lose the FORD!:lol:

VanPelt Feb 26, 2008 03:08 PM

Start saving mod money

Pure Playaer Feb 26, 2008 03:11 PM

pics pics

t8kdown Feb 26, 2008 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ducker (Post 5334505)
Chop off ur mullet and lose the FORD!:lol:

Now that's funny!!!:lol: I wish I still had the hair to possibly grow a mullett!

Thanks to all that have replied. It is a big step and hopefully I will love the car as much as I loved the stang.

I will post pics when I get back from the weekend (picking up the car on Thursday and will not be back until Sunday morning).

dro optimus Feb 26, 2008 04:34 PM

once u make ur first tight turn in the evo X.......you wont regret ur choice, at all.:D

03v8slayer Feb 26, 2008 04:57 PM

I love the cobras i use to have a 98 cobra before i got the evo VIII. U could look for a low milage IX. Probaly would be cheaper and is just as good. welcome to the evo world