EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   All year round driving...anyone here? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/399681-all-year-round-driving-anyone-here.html)

Clipse3GT Feb 12, 2009 09:01 AM

All year round driving...anyone here?

Well I am looking for a new vehicle possibly to buy within a year. However, I am doing all of my research early as not to make a mistaken decision later down road and purchase the wrong car for me.

I currently own a Scion tC (its fine for a daily driver and all stock) the second is my AutoX and Track 00 Eclipse GT SDS running a v1 Vortech Blower.

I am looking for a vehicle that I can drive year round. Primarily for the AWD and the wonderful NE Ohio weather. I know many enthusiasts here will not drive their cars in the winter. But I am looking for answers from the few that do. Ofcourse the tires would be either switched to a winter set or a all season package, otherwise the summer tires would turn to hockey pucks.

However, I would plan to lightly modify the vehicle, with basic bolt-ons to get about 350-400whp max. As well as have the ability to detune the vehicle via computer route for the winter for enhanced traction etc...

Also as far as people having issues with the paint chipping easily and get dents, would get something like a clear bra protect against this.

Thank you for all of your responses.

murlo26 Feb 12, 2009 09:31 AM

Well I currently drive my Evo all year round, been awesome this winter in the Minnesota blizzards. I put some dunlop M3 wintermaxs on there and its doing awesome.

I also did the clear bra on the front and widened the factory ones in front of the rear wheels, actually they took the factory one off and put a much bigger area on.

Honestly I feel bad about driving my evo in the winter with all the potholes and ****ty gravel and roads. It is holding up pretty well, its on the dyno right now getting tuned actually:D But I am going to try to get a winter beater for next year, mainly because of the salt stains and sand that is dirtying up my engine bay, it looks bad. I also put on the enviro package from the factory that is doing a great job protecting the underbody from salt (regardless of what people say). I try to wash it enough, but its impossible to keep clean.

So when spring comes and I get it detailed we will see how it held up, but when i wash it indoors this winter so far it has looked alright, i just feel bad driving the brand new car through all the mess. (Got winter floor mats too, I am trying hard to keep her clean).

strife Feb 12, 2009 09:40 AM

I run my Evo X all year round. Thats what I bought it for. It cuts right through the snow and ice.
I use All-seasons and love it!

raytrix Feb 12, 2009 09:40 AM

I'm driving mine year round as this is my only car I own. Driving so far 8 months with the Evo in Chicago weather and I gained 2 dents and 15+ paint chips. BTW I have aero kit and car is in stock form other than short antenna, ralliart tails, and APR carbon vortex gen, and got a set of Michelin A/S Pilot Sport Plus best purchase ever for rain/snow/dry.

strife Feb 12, 2009 09:47 AM

:lol:raytrix, with 2 dents and 15+ paint chips your avitar says it all.:lol:
J/K

TheBlueBlur Feb 12, 2009 10:09 AM

I drive mine year round. That's one of the biggest reasons I bought it, living in Chicago. I just bought some Dunlop WinterSport 3D's and covered most of the car in clear bra.

damen Feb 12, 2009 10:51 AM

whole reason I traded in my vette for the evo was to have something for year-round

Ltdanish07 Feb 12, 2009 11:06 AM

i drive mine yr round. Luckily we haven't gotten too much snow. The tires rock in the summer but any sort of snow your in for a ride. The evo is great. Just make sure to pick up a set of winter tires or at least throw some all-seasons on. And of course, drive smart. Its not a magical car.

WaitForIt Feb 12, 2009 12:00 PM

Drive all year round here as well, in Buffalo NY. Even with some good all seasons it's amazing in the snow. I do feel bad from time to time driving in this weather though in a brand new car but its washed frequently to keep the salt off as best as I can. I did buy it with the intention of using it all year round and am looking to have the same goals as the OP. I don't foresee any problems with it either.

kidneythief13 Feb 12, 2009 12:07 PM

The X is my only car, so I drive it all year as well. We've only had about 4"-6" max of accumulation here & the X did great. I have A/S tires on & become the main mode of transportation for family, friends, etc when the roads get icy & snowy.

CatalystGod Feb 12, 2009 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ltdanish07 (Post 6684726)
............ Its not a magical car.

Don't listen to him, it IS a magical car.. :lol:

staatz Feb 12, 2009 12:20 PM

Hot chicks drive TC's alot of the time =D

akemi27 Feb 12, 2009 12:25 PM

evos are awd and are definitely fit to drive all year round - however, with that in mind - keep mods functional, everyone has already mentioned getting a/s tires, protecting the car's body with clear bra, etc. Personally, my evo is my daily driver and this past winter I did almost get into an accident but mainly it's because my tires a/s tires are on their last legs and basically the snow was coming down pretty and hit some black ice or something and ended up sliding from the right hand lane to the middle lane by median - eway's about 4 lane wide btw - and just braked soon enough to avoid the median (Thank God I didn't get crash it!)

RoadSpike Feb 12, 2009 12:47 PM

DD my car year round no issues just need to be on top of the maintenance.

evo 9 guy Feb 12, 2009 12:48 PM

DD my car all year as well, although it does not snow is SoCal. Lol. But DD none the less.