EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   which evo is best? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/409505-evo-best.html)

SubaruKiller124 Mar 26, 2009 10:14 AM

which evo is best?

so im getting an Evo this summer but i don't know which one. Im looking at the eights or nines if there really anything different between them? im planing on heavily tunning this car so if that helps.

Thanks, Andrew

modetm Mar 26, 2009 10:23 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-8-9-help.html

stikllr13 Mar 26, 2009 10:24 AM

Evo X FTW

mrMTB Mar 26, 2009 03:28 PM

the one you're driving :)

Anocaj Mar 26, 2009 03:29 PM

The evo VI TM, Na but really if your going heavy tuning get a f*ed up 8 and start from there.

SubaruKiller124 Mar 27, 2009 01:46 PM

so there is no real difference? thanks

subrwho Mar 27, 2009 01:47 PM

Mine ;) jk

tatsuIX Mar 27, 2009 02:03 PM

the other guys! not mine... yeah, right!!!

JDMxCT9 Mar 27, 2009 02:06 PM

Which ever one you choose. It's personal preference.

ktk Mar 27, 2009 02:06 PM

First gotta say welcome to Evo side {thumbup}

A lot of this info can be found in the newbie stickies and there are other differences i haven't included but i don't get bored of talking about evos so here we go:

Some basic info that will help you make a decision between an 8 a 9 or a 10.

USDM
Evo 8 '03-04
-4G63 iron block closed deck - great for holding boost
-all mechanical drive train (no active anything or traction control)

Evo 8 '04 RS
-front LSD

Evo 8 '05
-introduced ACD (active center diff lets you choose between tarmac/gravel/snow settings)
-Front LSD

Evo 9 '06
- introduced MIVEC (variable valve timing) this is huge for tuning! downside is 9s cost a lot more than older 8s and things like ACD and mivec add complexity and cost to repair/strengthen/upgrade/etc compared to 8s
-10.5 hotside turbo
21psi peak boost tapering to 19 (19 tapering to 17 in the old 8's)

Evo 10 '08
-switched to Aluminum block 4B11 all new engine. turbo situated under the firewall much harder to get to for mods. So far aftermarket tuners have been able to massage more power out of the engine through tuning and boltons HOWEVER some things to consider:

1) the X weighs 300lbs more than a 8/9. No matter what fancy tech is involved that is a significant amount of weight.

2) Sleeved aluminum block does not yet have the proven strength and reliability under hard load/high boost that the 4G63 does. It will take a while for that engine to prove itself, and honestly, I doubt it will ever match the capability of the 4G under extreme conditions.

3) The AWD system in the X is far superior to the one in the USDM 8s and 9s. It somewhat makes up for the extra 300lbs of weight BUT if you are going to be chasing big power for street/straightline speed, this is less of a benefit and and more expensive parts to break/deal with later.

The reason the X AWD system is better is due to its Torque Vectoring capability which allows the car to shift power actively to any wheel it wants. Comparing that to the Evo 8's where the car uses full mechanical diffs to get the power around, it cant actively increase the amount of power to any wheel, the power flows through the fixed mechanical LSDs.

What Evo you choose shoudl be a function of what u aim to achieve with mods. If you are looking for a mild mannered daily with reasonable power, with minimal mods, an X might suffice if have the money.

If you are looking for something more hardcore and serious for track or even a high powered street car, or if you can see yourself chasing 400,500, 700, or 900+hp an X is out of the question. The choice would then come down to an 8 or a 9.

From those stick with the models that have the 5 speed not the 6. The 5 will cope with a lot more power and has better ratios for track work at the expense of the overdrive 6th gear.

All out race car choose RS trim (ditches power windows locks, AC, ABS, wing, etc. etc..)

Street/Track best compromise is GSR with a 5speed. 9 if you have the money. 8 is a good way to get 90% of the 9 without the headache of ACD breaking on you, but you have to live with lack of MIVEC which is really nice for giving you a smoother idle while still pulling the most power out of midrange and topend for your cams. In comparison a mildly cammed Evo 8 will sound like it, and Evo 8 with aggressive 280 cams will scare small children and set off car alarms.

In my opinion the sunroof, leather and soundsystem (SSL package) are pretty useless add ons to any serious evo. The sunroof adds near 40lbs of weight at the highest point of the car, the leather seats look great but are more slippery and wont hold you as tight as the cloth ones when you're cornering hard. And in all honesty, if you get a Evo and chase power u will need a full 3" turbo back exhaust and at that point you cant really hear the higher quality sound system anyways

Conclusion:
Evo X is better more refined and comfortable street car, will be outclassed on the track by the 8 or 9. So far tests have shown it to be slower on the track in stock form than the stock Evo 9.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124246

In heavily modified form the gap is expanded even more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAbD4QLMQvs

Evo 8 is the one to go for if you want to chase big power or make a street/track car with minimal cost/complexity.

Evo 9 adds MIVEC and ACD, and will make a fantastic base, better than the 8 in most ways, except for the slightly less ideal gear ratios (for track work) in the 6 speed and the higher up front cost.

good luck with the decision! You can't really go wrong here, you already win by deciding on an Evo at all. :D

dino21 Mar 27, 2009 02:13 PM

i would go for the IX or VIII,VII, or even the makinnen edition VI or the V.
X sucks.believe me.

Johnboy1065 Mar 27, 2009 02:15 PM

If your wanting to modify the car a lot then I'd have to say an Evo 8 is better. Evo 8's have much more variety of camshafts to choose from than the 9's do.

dino21 Mar 27, 2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065 (Post 6865064)
If your wanting to modify the car a lot then I'd have to say an Evo 8 is better. Evo 8's have much more variety of camshafts to choose from than the 9's do.

like you said 8 is good choice i think every is quite good choice ,thank the X

DJ Brett B Mar 27, 2009 02:31 PM

Evo 6.5 TME or Evo IX SE

DJ Brett B Mar 27, 2009 02:32 PM

I would suggest low miles IX if you can find a good deal for light to moderate mods, VIII for full motor/head buld w/big turbo kit because cost of vehicle is less, more money for mods and parts that will break/need rebuilt like tranny and such