EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   STi vs. EVO (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/47694-sti-vs-evo.html)

Mili727 Nov 2, 2003 09:14 PM

STi vs. EVO

Hey guys, my name is Jon. Currently I drive a stage 4 WRX which I just returned to stock and is being traded in for either an EVO or an STi. Im having a tough time deciding. Both has its pros and cons.

STi - 6 speed, DCCD, variable valve timing, 2.5 liter.

EVO - Better handling, proven motor, better braking.

Some questions - What do you guys with EVOs run at the track with just basic mods. Such as a turbo back, intake, and MBC?

MP5 Nov 2, 2003 09:18 PM

Re: STi vs. EVO

Originally posted by Mili727
Hey guys, my name is Jon. Currently I drive a stage 4 WRX which I just returned to stock and is being traded in for either an EVO or an STi. Im having a tough time deciding. Both has its pros and cons.

STi - 6 speed, DCCD, variable valve timing, 2.5 liter.

EVO - Better handling, proven motor, better braking.

Some questions - What do you guys with EVOs run at the track with just basic mods. Such as a turbo back, intake, and MBC?

Remember the STI shift to 5th. I came from a stage 5+ wrx the ecu/cam gears/ exhaust put you right at that level

Quickshift Nov 2, 2003 09:26 PM

2.5 cant take much boost before detonation. 4g63 is tried and true and better.

Mili727 Nov 2, 2003 09:27 PM

I am also reading about all of the transmission problems the EVO has been having.

The STi is getting detonation from the factory. The ECU fix is out for that.

Quickshift Nov 2, 2003 09:31 PM

But expect a drop in power!! it is certain trannys going out
( clutch dumping is a NO NO) but some do have faulty parts , there are quite a few guys here with 15k plus on stock clutch and still rolling, It depends on how you are gonna drive it.

Kris in the STi Nov 3, 2003 09:34 PM

my sti has never detonated..and i got it in the first allocation....

and the 2.5 can handle boost....i dont know where you got that?

sti trannys are 80000000 times stronger than wrx trannys....there are NO sti tranny problems....well....maybe at 600awtq....

the stock clutch on the sti is good....mines taken 7k of abuse and no slippage at all....whereas blitzbaster had to replace the clutch in his evo after 2200 miles...and also seperated his shifter linkage from the bushsing while racing....on the brand new clutch

the pinging was an issue...now its not....fuji fixed it....

basically......the choice is......

basically....if you want go kart steering...buy an evo....if you want torque....buy an sti...

im not saying either car is better....its all on personal preference

im just giving a subaru pov on a mitsu board