EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   Manual or Electronic Boost Controller (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/508928-manual-electronic-boost-controller.html)

jag0 Aug 14, 2010 06:01 AM

Manual or Electronic Boost Controller

So i recently found out that my manual boost controller is going bad (or has gone bad). Unless i lock it at the lowest boost, within 2 minutes of setting it at a boost level, it slowly 'turns itself' to the max boost level, causing the boost to spike up. So, with that said. Which is a better option, a manual or electronic boost controller? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

And what's a good one to get (reasonably priced) for each?

Thanks

SwishaSweet Aug 14, 2010 06:46 AM

MBC is cheep easy and effective

EBC is more complicated but will give you much better boost control with options of boost by gear and seem to control cold weather boost creep better.

chinto Aug 14, 2010 07:10 AM

get a nother mbc of your choice.. ebc are a pain in the butt to get setup to work correctly and more expensive. normaly once you have it setup you dont need to change it so there is no real point in my mind to have a ebc execpt for the bling factor.. i had a ebc and installed it couldnt get it to work brought it to a known shop they couldnt get it to work and i said screw it and went with the mbc and never looked back.

speedypollard Aug 14, 2010 10:35 AM

I agree with swishasweet but I want to add that an ebc will also hold more boost for a longer amount of time than a mbc...I'd still go with another mbc though just cause they are way cheaper and easier to install and still do a good job controlling boost

MR BURTON69 Aug 14, 2010 10:39 AM

ECU boost control!

speedypollard Aug 14, 2010 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by MR BURTON69 (Post 8582610)
ECU boost control!

Not as cheap or easy as a mbc...also not adjustable

MR BURTON69 Aug 14, 2010 10:50 AM

Not adjustable without a computer no, but def not cheaper or easier then MBC. I just pulled my hallman off and made the switch.

speedypollard Aug 14, 2010 10:59 AM

Mbc are easier to install not easier overall and depending on your tuners prices it's either the same price or higher for ecu boost control...a mbc from ams is $60 and takes 5 minutes to install if you know what you're doing, you don't have to mess with making an appointment with a tuner for the install

k2evo Aug 14, 2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by MR BURTON69 (Post 8582610)
ECU boost control!

^This

Great control and none of the downsides of the MBC (boost creep) or EBC (overboost).

Not the cheapest route, but you will be happy in the long run.

speedypollard Aug 14, 2010 10:09 PM

Right if you're 40 years old and have no sense of adventure go with ecu controlled boost

MRpunk Aug 15, 2010 01:34 AM

Ecu controlled boost is going to be the best hands down. You have better control all around.

EBC is ok. The benifit is you have better control with the boost taper than the MBC and on most you have the choice of two boost settings. It take alot more time to get the settings right too. On my greddy the EBC become inconsistant for higher boost levels. I even called Greddy and they couldnt give me a solution. They recomended that I use low boost setting for gears 1-2-3 and high for 4-5-6. Makes it easy while racing right? If your running lower boost levels I like the EBC just fine.

The manual is easier to set up but there is alot oft trail and error. I hear they dont last as long though. I donno, I never owned one personally.

jag0 Aug 15, 2010 08:03 AM

hmmmm seems kinda spilt... .for now I think i may go with a hallman MBC. If that doesn't work out then I'll look into either ECU or EBC. But for $60, right now a Hallman seems hard to beat.

speedypollard Aug 15, 2010 08:17 AM

I'd go with the mbc from ams for $60...if you want a Hallman don't get the es get one of the better ones

injentech42 Aug 15, 2010 08:27 AM

i also have a mbc and was thinking to go with ebc cause i got super crazy boost creep in cooler weather

Sharkbite2000 Aug 15, 2010 08:41 AM

EBC keeps the boot in check where ever you set at it will always be.