EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   Anyone considering a High Mileage Evo....... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/564123-anyone-considering-high-mileage-evo.html)

4RETECH Jul 8, 2011 09:07 AM

Anyone considering a High Mileage Evo.......

Hello,

First Off let me say congratulations, you have decided to buy a truely spectacular automobile.

Welcome to the forum, for here you will get all the information you ever wanted about this car, be it good or bad, LOL

OK, Now a typical 03 evo will have anywhere between 90-120K miles on it(in the US) as Japan destroys/parts out the cars because of the heavy polluter law.

To me an Evo that has been maintained and not abused are great cars to have.

Get a carfax.

Get someone to perform a mechnical check that knows about the car(also known as a pre-purchase inspection).
Not your local shop that doesn't even know what an Evo is. Bring it to a specialty shop or even a Mitsubishi dealer(they will hopefully be able to get you service and warranty history).

Leakdown and compression on the engine, why? Because you can get a good idea if the rings and valves are sealing correctly.

Check for any abnornal noises, this of course to be done with someone who knows the Evo's and what noises they usually make.

If you are mechanically inclined you are at an advantage.

Those of you with just enough money to get the car and pay for insurance should reconsider this purchase. It would be great until you find out that you will need a clutch within the next month and have no funds to fix it.

Good Luck to all of you guys looking to get an Evo{thumbup}

Nick

escodotcarter Jul 8, 2011 09:16 AM

good info.......especially coming from the guy with the highest mileage evo {thumbup}

GBeZeFromNAPeZe Jul 8, 2011 10:03 AM

wow, congrats on the mileage. How many miles were on it when you bought it?

4RETECH Jul 8, 2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by gbezefromnapeze (Post 9445793)
wow, congrats on the mileage. How many miles were on it when you bought it?

iirc 64k

malonejr2000 Jul 8, 2011 02:00 PM

is it stock insides?? because it looks like you changed out that stuff unless you have another evo...unless wiseco makes boost controlers lol

4RETECH Jul 8, 2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by malonejr2000 (Post 9446385)
is it stock insides?? because it looks like you changed out that stuff unless you have another evo...unless wiseco makes boost controlers lol

Haha, no. Most people on the board know that my stock internals were replace at 209k. It does have the original block,crank, TC, trans ,and rear.

Ramonski Jul 8, 2011 04:47 PM

nice advice...im considering an evo with over 120k miles...if it checks out good though i might take her home...she's going to be my dd anyway so i dont care about racking the miles

Kausekaos Jul 8, 2011 08:45 PM

I have my eye on one with 83k to be my DD as well. Just not sure yet if I should.

4RETECH Jul 9, 2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ramonski (Post 9446663)
nice advice...im considering an evo with over 120k miles...if it checks out good though i might take her home...she's going to be my dd anyway so i dont care about racking the miles

Originally Posted by Kausekaos (Post 9447065)
I have my eye on one with 83k to be my DD as well. Just not sure yet if I should.

Good luck in your search guys.{thumbup}

osnap Jul 9, 2011 08:04 PM

Wow, this makes me feel great about my 80k! Congrats OP!

4RETECH Aug 10, 2011 09:21 AM

Bump for potential buyer out there that have no idea how to use the search function, LOL

73DatsunZ Aug 10, 2011 05:51 PM

Good stuff, and wow that's pretty awesome you have your stock transmission and diffs still!

brianfulcher15 Aug 10, 2011 06:10 PM

this makes me feel alot better, the MR that im looking at has close to 60 but all the service records. hopefulle the clutch doesent die to soon after i get it.... my tiburon's clutch went out at 12000 (tons of tib owners' went out under 20K) miles and warrenty wouldnt even cover it.

Evil_Rs Aug 10, 2011 06:26 PM

Honestly, the clutch on an evo really depends on the driver. I have had 3 different manual cars with heavy clutches that required a ton of pressure to engage so driving the evo is not that rough to me (65K original owner of Summer 2005 Evo 8 RS).

But I know other people who had to replace the clutch at like 30K because they were either terrible drivers or could not handle the semi heavy clutch that is stock.

Boostgod Sep 5, 2011 10:18 PM

Care to touch on any reliability issues on the car over the 255k ?