EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   I WANT TO BUY AN EVO 8 or 9 BUT .... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/576302-i-want-buy-evo-8-9-but.html)

dexum175 Sep 25, 2011 09:56 PM

I WANT TO BUY AN EVO 8 or 9 BUT ....

Hey Evo heads. I'm trying to buy an Evolution 8 or 9 in the coming months. After looking and searching around for the car, I've noticed that almost 84% of all the Evo's I liked had around 49,000 to 53,000 miles. Why is everyone selling they're Evo's when they hit the 50k mark? What are the con's Evo owners have encountered in they're 50,000 mile Evo? Anyone have an answer? Or is this just a coincidence that most people sell they're Evo's when they're 50k's?

Pal215 Sep 25, 2011 10:08 PM

It must be the 60k mile service that scares people, but i think its mostly coincidence.

E.V.O Sep 25, 2011 10:11 PM

Well I don,t know abt other am selling mine cuz I wanna get GTR and mine have 93000 miles on it :) but it's just got fully build motor with one 3000 miles on it :)

Cal City Evo Sep 25, 2011 10:23 PM

If you are getting an 8 with 50K miles on it you better jump on it. That is damned low mileage. Nothing to getting a 60K service done.

No there is NO magic 50K number where they are going to die. More to the fact there are a LOT out there with well in excess of 100k.

RjRacing05 Sep 25, 2011 10:24 PM

Read the tread labeled 250k and going if you have questions about reliability. No problems here and mine has had a very hard 55k miles put on it and climbing. These drivetrains are very tough, put to much abuse and lack of maintenance will hurt any car. Do some searching on this sight, there is tons of good info for what to look for, you won't regret your purchase though, i promise that :)

kyoo Sep 25, 2011 10:39 PM

its just coincidence.. think more like its been ~5-8 years that these people have had their cars, just looking for something new now i would imagine

EvolutionIX219 Sep 25, 2011 10:50 PM

I bought my MR IX with 18k

Chaser_41 Sep 26, 2011 01:11 AM

I bought my 05 with 74k. COULDN'T be more happy. I absolutely love this car. and the rush is the same every time i drive it. 50k is great, if the price is right, and so is the condition, jump into it man, you won't regret it

2hot2handle Sep 26, 2011 01:50 AM

Put it this way....
Back in 2000, everyone cheered about how Honda's could run over 200k miles and never have any real issues.

Technology and engineering today allows cars, like our EVO's, to do the same...... (for the most part of course). Honestly any 5 year old car and EVO for that matter with less than 50k miles is pretty damn good. And considering there are hundreds are EVO's running 300-500+whp over 100k miles with no issues just goes to show what kind of long term investment you can get into with the proper care. I'm at 79k and the only issues I've had was a dead battery (if you even consider that one), cracking of the paint on the heat shield on the hood and a bad fan controller (known to go bad).

novem Sep 26, 2011 02:24 AM

The 4G63 engine has been around since 89'. This engine has been proven over the years to be one of the most stout 4cyl. power plants around. I know there are lots of Evo owners that take pride beating cars costing 4x more around the track and down the strip.
If you can find a low mile Evo where you live for a good price, consider yourself lucky! In SoCal, I have noticed Evo 8 and 9's have been going up in price.

N

ILoveAWD Sep 26, 2011 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by 2hot2handle (Post 9629252)
Put it this way....
Back in 2000, everyone cheered about how Honda's could run over 200k miles and never have any real issues.

Technology and engineering today allows cars, like our EVO's, to do the same...... (for the most part of course). Honestly any 5 year old car and EVO for that matter with less than 50k miles is pretty damn good. And considering there are hundreds are EVO's running 300-500+whp over 100k miles with no issues just goes to show what kind of long term investment you can get into with the proper care. I'm at 79k and the only issues I've had was a dead battery (if you even consider that one), cracking of the paint on the heat shield on the hood and a bad fan controller (known to go bad).

Originally Posted by novem (Post 9629266)
The 4G63 engine has been around since 89'. This engine has been proven over the years to be one of the most stout 4cyl. power plants around. I know there are lots of Evo owners that take pride beating cars costing 4x more around the track and down the strip.
If you can find a low mile Evo where you live for a good price, consider yourself lucky! In SoCal, I have noticed Evo 8 and 9's have been going up in price.

N

agreed

harris81 Sep 26, 2011 03:17 AM

I come from an SR20DET background, essentially an all-aluminum engine that came around the time same as the 4G63. IMO, with all the technological progress made, the 4G63 is a more reliable engine. I have blown many an SR20 in my younger days, but only after moving to the 4G63 have I been able to get a very reliable engine given the same power levels.

HOWEVER, do realize that these are turbocharged engines we're talking about. Compared to any NA motor, turbocharged engines have to deal with a lot more challenges in order to remain reliable. Some manufacturers do a lot in the way of ensuring this, and some don't. Over the years, Mitsubishi has done an amazing job in the evolution of the 4G63, so I definitely commend them for giving us enthusiasts a rather strong foundation to start with.

MR. EVO MR Sep 26, 2011 03:19 AM

hurry and get that EVO before someone else takes your place.
If I was a Millionaire id buy as many EVO's that I could!
NOT PIECE OF **** EVO's lol

FJF Sep 26, 2011 05:00 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9607717-post20.html

kyoo Sep 26, 2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by EvolutionIX219 (Post 9629113)
I bought my MR IX with 18k

wow.. private/local deal? how much did you pay?