Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Post Pics of Your HID Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pics of Your HID Conversion

I recently traded in my 04 evo for an 05. The one thing I already find myself missing is the HID's. I wasn't expecting it to be such a difference, but I feel like I cant really see the road at all. Needless to say, Im eager to upgrade to an HID system.
I am looking to purchase an HID conversion kit that closely resembles the stock HID's. I'm not looking to get crazy with 8k or 10k bluish/purple stuff. Just a nice HID setup like the OEM one. To my understanding the stock bulbs are 4300K......can anyone verify this?
I've reearched doing an OEM conversion, and have come up with the following problems......

-The projector lenses for the HID's differ from the Halogen projectors.
So this will cause hot spots, blurring, and an unclear cutoff with a
conversion kit.

-The wiring harnesses are completely different for the two systems.

I dont care about the manual leveling system that much, and I dont need the fogs, as I scarcely remember using them in my 2004. I would appreciate it if anyone who has done an aftermarket or OEM HID convesion could post pics/stats of there system to help me decide on a path to take. I'm hoping to be able to find a nice setup that mirrors the OEM one - nice white light (with a slight tint of blue/purple as I remember on my '04), with no hot spots, and a clear cutoff. I've seen a few posts from people that have done a conversion - but I know there must be more out there. Thanks for any pics/advice/input!
Old Aug 18, 2005, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by SpecVSpeed
I recently traded in my 04 evo for an 05. The one thing I already find myself missing is the HID's. I wasn't expecting it to be such a difference, but I feel like I cant really see the road at all. Needless to say, Im eager to upgrade to an HID system.
I am looking to purchase an HID conversion kit that closely resembles the stock HID's. I'm not looking to get crazy with 8k or 10k bluish/purple stuff. Just a nice HID setup like the OEM one. To my understanding the stock bulbs are 4300K......can anyone verify this?
I've reearched doing an OEM conversion, and have come up with the following problems......

-The projector lenses for the HID's differ from the Halogen projectors.
So this will cause hot spots, blurring, and an unclear cutoff with a
conversion kit.

-The wiring harnesses are completely different for the two systems.

I dont care about the manual leveling system that much, and I dont need the fogs, as I scarcely remember using them in my 2004. I would appreciate it if anyone who has done an aftermarket or OEM HID convesion could post pics/stats of there system to help me decide on a path to take. I'm hoping to be able to find a nice setup that mirrors the OEM one - nice white light (with a slight tint of blue/purple as I remember on my '04), with no hot spots, and a clear cutoff. I've seen a few posts from people that have done a conversion - but I know there must be more out there. Thanks for any pics/advice/input!
hey bro i had recentely purchased my evo and of course i really wasnt about to pay for the extra $3500 package of leather, moonroof, hid, and crappy infinity. But once you go hid you cant go back. In the how to section there is a thread about a partial front bumper removal the helped out alot. and also was perfect directions. I already had a 9006 hid kit thats pretty much plug and play. it worked out fine for me. just remember to change your headlight fuses from the stock 10 to atleast 20. and i think your right stock is 4300 or 4500. my kit was 8000 and they look great. if you need a kit let me know i can get them for around 350 or 375. good luck.
paulie
Old Aug 18, 2005, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Here's mine..

www.xenondepot.com

Phillips 4300k HID conversion kit (not cheap Korean brand that gets hot)...have fun...you gotta pull the bumper to install....

Looks like stock...about $380 bucks....

Gallery 1:

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/modul...view_album.php

Gallery 2:

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/modul...bum.php&page=1

Last edited by Wicked05; Aug 18, 2005 at 02:26 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 02:35 AM

lookin good.....keep 'em coming....
Old Aug 18, 2005, 05:46 AM

I Installed The Same Kit As Wiked05 From Xenondepot And Didnt Get Good Results At All. The Light From The Hid's Was Thrown Everywhere And Not Aimed Properly. I Even Tried Adjusting Them With No Luck
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

You're probably going to get that with most conversion kits that you buy.

Reason being is because your housing is not designed for HID'S to begin with. On top of that they are projectors. They are designed for halogens so there is a bit of a scatter. My kit was fine. I have a clean cutoff, a bit scattered but nontheless clean enough for me to be satisfied.

...still....way better than the stock halogens...

you gotta expect tradeoffs everytime you go aftermarket....just my .02.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:01 AM

oh i know, this isnt the first car ive done this too, but i couldnt see sh**. i had to but the halogens back in and just aimed the lights a little higher. and my light patterns where nowhere close to those ive seen pictured. no cutoff or nothing.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:54 PM

Has anyone gotten HID's from another evo installed at the dealership....If so, how much? I remember seeing that someone on here was quoted 700 bucks....but maybe the dealership wasnt aware of what the HID install really entails....
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

I'm willing to trade+cash mine if anyone is interested.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 01:01 PM

I'd be very interested, but I dont know exactly what it entails.....I don't know if the wiring harnesses are interchangeable....if it was possible how much would you want for a trade?