Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Car wash

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wash

I've never done any more to wash my car than rinse it, wash it with a rag and some soap, rinse it again, and dry it... and it usually turns out as a pretty poor wash. Are there any tips or techniques out there that you guys use to wash your car? Any good products you use? Also, I've never waxed or buffed my car and was wondering what process you go about doing that.
Old May 15, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Do you use dish soap? Don't use dish soap if you do, my mom used to do that with her car and the paint got all dry and crackly. Also, from my experience with rags, they don't work as good as sponges do. I haven't really used anything other than sponges or rags. Uh, as far as automotive car soap, right now I'm using this Armor all gel stuff that I got in a 2-pack. It came with soap and wax. Works pretty good, and it was cheap, 5 bucks for both I believe is what I paid. To wax with that stuff, I just use my Absorber. Since it says I can wax while drying. My car always comes out looking cleaner than my friends that go to the gas station and run in through the wash there.
Old May 15, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

I use the mr. clean autodry car wash kit. its like 20 bucks, and works fairly decent considering i have hard water, it cleans out the salt, and minerals real good from the water.
Old May 15, 2006, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WangMan
I've never done any more to wash my car than rinse it, wash it with a rag and some soap, rinse it again, and dry it... and it usually turns out as a pretty poor wash. Are there any tips or techniques out there that you guys use to wash your car? Any good products you use? Also, I've never waxed or buffed my car and was wondering what process you go about doing that.
Go to Wal-mart, get some car wash soap concentrate (like $1.50) and a sponge ($1.00) and wash with that. Works much better than dish soap, although I have used dish soap in the past. Also they sell buffers for like 20 bucks and get some liquid turtle wax.. like 30 bucks combined and buff your car. You'll love the result.
Old May 15, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a few product(low end brands) and finnaly tried one I truly like(so far). I have tried Black Magic, PowerWasher liquids, armorall(I think) and Rainex. I really liked Black Magic, but Rainex owns all the ones I've tried before. It's not too expensive, it's easy to use(dirt comes off easily) and it's gotta have something in it, cause the windshield is alot easier to wipe when it rains.
Old May 15, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

my steps - basic car wash

1. wheels and tires

2.Top of car first...remember to spray has you go ( do not spray the whole car down because if its windy its just going to attract more dirt and dry to your car by the time you get to hand washing; could potentially scratch the paint)...wash with car wash soap only and water....i use lambs glove thing....spray off top...

3 Front or back of car w/e you prefer first - same has above

4. sides

5. Dry off car w/ a microfiber towel...works like a charm for a nice basic wash!

You can also throw in a bug or tar remover at the beginning...
Old May 15, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

haha i never thought about it but I do use dishsoap
Old May 15, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

yeah that will strip your clear coat and what ever wax you had on there...your destroying your paint!!...wax the mother like 3 times over!!
Old May 15, 2006, 12:17 PM
TEJ
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Snoogens
yeah that will strip your clear coat and what ever wax you had on there...your destroying your paint!!...wax the mother like 3 times over!!
Yeah, using dish soap is not a good idea since it is a degreaser and wax is basically a grease.
Old May 15, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Dishsoap can be a good thing, but only when you plan on fully detailling your car.
Old May 15, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
Dishsoap can be a good thing, but only when you plan on fully detailling your car.
+1

just make sure you re-wax it!
Old May 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

www.properautocare.com

This site has some really good products. I get my supplies from here.
Old May 15, 2006, 01:36 PM

I use the waterless wash and shine product from www.prolong.com under the appearance tab. All you got to do is spray, spread and wipe, it leaves a gleaming clear coat behind. I was pretty satisfied with this product. This is a bit expensive though, $9.95 for a 17 oz spray.
Old May 15, 2006, 04:34 PM

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/index.php

That will give you good tips for everything.
Old May 15, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lusion
www.properautocare.com

This site has some really good products. I get my supplies from here.
+1

Quick Reply: Car wash