Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New EVO owner - These forums made me feel better about my purchase than anything.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New EVO owner - These forums made me feel better about my purchase than anything.

Tomorrow, I will have had my 06 GG IX SE for exactly one week. I couldn't be any happier, I'm driving my dream car.

She's got 400 miles on her as of this morning, and I'm really trying to break her in easy, although I've hit 6k a few times, and I hit 7k once, but I backed off as soon as I saw. Then after reading the thread on breaking in, I'm not as anxious as I was before, but still taking it easy. I've got the oil and filter set aside for the change at 600.

After reading all the awesome posts, threads and everyone's comments on their evo's, I could not have been any happier with what I got. Yes, I paid a lot for it, probably too much, but to me, it was more than worth it. When the sales manager came out and handed me the keys and shook my hand, I had to excuse myself, and go put my head between my knees. (I've had a lot of bad experiences with cars & dealerships).

I'll post pics soon. Cause I know you haven't seen 60 jillion stock EVO pic's before. lol
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:17 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congratulations, enjoy
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

thats awesome! i'm glad to see someone as excited as i was when i got my evo! and you couldn't wait a couple more days to take it to 7k? HAHA it's all good! poist some pics already we have seen plenty of stock evos but not to many SE
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:27 AM

hehe Yeah, the 7k was completely accidental, I haven't driven a clutch in 6 months, getting back in the groove. As soon as I saw the rev's spike I was like NOooooooooo!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

What are your plans? Keeping it stock for a while or doing some mods?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:56 AM

Current Performance Plans: K&N Drop In, 3" CBE (can't remove the cat here in nor cal, cause cops love to sit on the side of the road and do emissions checks - $2k fine for missing cat, otherwise I'd put a TBE on it), Flash.

After that I'm torn as to what to upgrade next, I want to get some digital guages and an EMS, but then I'm a little lost... should I completely replace the intake system? new fuel pump, injectors? Up the boost on my stock turbo? I don't want to go mod crazy, it's still got to be my daily driver, but I want at least a little more power. hehe
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphex
Current Performance Plans: K&N Drop In, 3" CBE (can't remove the cat here in nor cal, cause cops love to sit on the side of the road and do emissions checks - $2k fine for missing cat, otherwise I'd put a TBE on it), Flash.

After that I'm torn as to what to upgrade next, I want to get some digital guages and an EMS, but then I'm a little lost... should I completely replace the intake system? new fuel pump, injectors? Up the boost on my stock turbo? I don't want to go mod crazy, it's still got to be my daily driver, but I want at least a little more power. hehe
I'm no expert, but being in a fellow Cali resident (in the lower but better half of the state ), I would recommend staying as stealthy as possible, so I've dismissed getting an exhaust, unless I decide to become a police officer in the coming months. But I am waiting for Cobb's AccessPort to come out, which is a handheld programmer that has maps already on it (stock, stage 1, stage 2, economy, valet, anti-theft, etc.) that you can load onto your ECU, so there's no need to send your ECU in, which is kind of cool, plus you can download other maps online (from their website or from other users) and load them to your AccessPort. It should be out sometime soon. Cobb normally makes Subaru products, and I knew about them because I used to be in the market for a WRX/STi. I know that there is another similar product that some guys on this forum seem to prefer, but we'll just have to wait until the AccessPort is released for the Evo to see how well it does. Obviously something like this is something you can't get pulled over for, as opposed to a loud exhaust or something under the hood that will warrant a fix-it ticket. I used to have a Honda with stuff under the hood, and I vowed to never be in the situation again where cops will find obvious mods (intakes, cam gears, etc.) that will earn me a trip to the courts, smog stations or state referees. No thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you need a cat, but it doesnt mean you can't change to one that flows better than stock. I am in cali too and have gotten plenty of exhaust tickets on my other car, but they were because I was too loud. Not once did they complain of my high flow cat.

So on the evo I'm gonna get 3"dp/3"HFC/3"exhaust/intake/MBC/custom tune
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:14 AM

An HFC still won't be able to get past a cop with his smog sensor going. I don't know how it is in the bay, but Sacramento cops are real picky gits. I don't want a louder exhuast either, I just want better flow. I'm really trying to stay stealthy too, the huge spoiler doesn't help though. haha

Also, the cobb thing sounds fantastic, link to their site? I've been reading on the ECU tuning forum that the new MIVEC is a pita to program, so that's got me a little anxious.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Just a suggestion... Check out the EcuFlash section in the tuning forum. You can buy a cable for $90 and download free software to flash your ECU yourself. You can buy "e-flashes" from vendors on here for whatever mods you have... they cost anywhere from $50 to $90.

I've heard awesome things about AccessPort from some Subie friends, but it will cost at least $600. EcuFlash is a cheaper route for sure!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:01 PM

I think turbo cars have it easy in general compared to Civic, Focus and other N/A 4 bangers.
Mustangs are just off the hook, cops don't seem to bother them as much.

In most cases cops can't tell apart a stock turbo from aftermarket turbo, and they don't know if you have a chip.

Just tame your exhaust and have a cat in place. And don't make a mistake of having air intake, it's the first thing those #@$@$@ look for in California.

And if you have huge cams in the car, just say your injectors are failing, or you got misfire, they seem to fall for that.

As people get older and stay out of regular teen hang out spots it's easier to drive a modded car in california. Just keep the exhaust quite.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:31 PM

Yeah, I'm not worried about hanging out in the "teen spots". I'm not impressed by the kids with their civic's and preludes with beer can exhuasts on NA 4 cylinders. I like the person in the vette nodding at me when they get a good look at my car, instead of the dork in his ricer thinking he can do the fly-by blinker flash. hehe
Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:33 PM
Admin Alumni

Yeah, I'm not worried about hanging out in the "teen spots". I'm not impressed by the kids with their civic's and preludes with beer can exhuasts on NA 4 cylinders. I like the person in the vette nodding at me when they get a good look at my car, instead of the dork in his ricer thinking he can do the fly-by blinker flash. hehe
+1
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Also, the cobb thing sounds fantastic, link to their site? I've been reading on the ECU tuning forum that the new MIVEC is a pita to program, so that's got me a little anxious.
Cobb's website is here: http://www.cobbtuning.com
But that specific part doesn't have any info on the Evo AccessPort (but you can find info on the WRX/STi AccessPort, so it should have similar features). However, on their message forum, they have some info on the Evo as it comes available, just scroll down to the Mitsubishi portion: http://www.cobbforums.com
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the new evo.
If you have a good custom exhaust shop in your area you can do like myself and get a TBE but have them cut the tip off the stock muffler and weld it on the new exhaust. Its looks just like stock unless you get under the car. Turbo cars are generally quieter than N/A cars so you should have to worry about the noise.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: New EVO owner - These forums made me feel better about my purchase than anything.