Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Coolant overflowing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant overflowing

Over the last couple days I noticed some goofy operation in my cooling system causing my car to overheat or run hot. Twice last week I noticed the car was running hot and the dash gauge needle was bobbing up and down with the A/C on. No bobbing needle with the A/C off though...

Oil levels were normal. Coolant levels were low. I just did an oil change and coolant flush 2 days ago. NO oil in coolant. NO coolant in oil. Both cooling fans working perfectly. Datalog on EMS (post oil/coolant change) while driving showed coolant temps normal at 180^

Yesterday the car seemed to be working normally. However, this morning I went to check the coolant and it was low again and the overflow bottle was empty. So as I'm refilling the coolant in the radiator, while the car is running, the fluid level is rising higher and higher until it starts spilling over the radiator. I squeezed the cap on, and filled the overflow bottle to 1/2 way.

After I got to work (1 hour/40 mile drive) I heard a drip coming from the front of the car. I popped the hood and I noticed the overflow bottle was leaking. I popped the cap off the bottle and it was filled to the brim with coolant. No signs of leaks anywhere, oil or coolant, other than the overflow bottle.

'03 Evo, 89k miles, aem ems, 3076 turbo, ARP headstuds torqued to spec.

What do you guys think is broken??
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown head gasket... the cylinder pressures are causing it to push coolant over to the reservoir, also your over heating so def.. a HG.

^^^^^^ lol LIke how you live in Mesa, and I have never met you lol.

Edit.. you might just have alot of air in the radiator, maybe do a compression check.

Last edited by whitersevo; Jun 6, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:42 AM

You might not have gotten all the air out of the system when you did the coolant change. It could be air bubbles. A few heat up and cool down cycles should get the air out, or you might want to try to bleed the system. The low coolant could just be the space the air was taking up in the system. I would just watch it closely. It might have fixed itself.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitersevo
blown head gasket... the cylinder pressures are causing it to push coolant over to the reservoir, also your over heating so def.. a HG.

^^^^^^ lol LIke how you live in Mesa, and I have never met you lol.

Edit.. you might just have alot of air in the radiator, maybe do a compression check.
Ugh, don't say HG!

Hmm? I've been to the Tempe Town Lake meet quite a few times.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

sorry, just looking at your mileage. and arp head studs I am thinking it is blown.. that is why i recommend a compression check..
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Damn dude!!!!! That sucks!!!! Why are our evo's sucking lately?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitersevo
sorry, just looking at your mileage. and arp head studs I am thinking it is blown.. that is why i recommend a compression check..
Well, perhaps its not overheating... I know it's been hot as hell out the last couple days, but my A/C has worked flawlessly. If the car was overheating I would imagine the A/C would quit working. And, coolant temp sensor showing normal 180^ under normal driving conditions.

What a perfect time for this to happen. Of course it doesn't do this in January when it's nice out.

Originally Posted by smp3000
Damn dude!!!!! That sucks!!!! Why are our evo's sucking lately?
I don't know dude, but mine is making me mad. I need to just sell it and get a Kia. j/k
Old Jun 6, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does your coolant have a milky brown substance in it? (pop radiator cap and check). Does your oil have any coolant in it? (drail oil and look for white traces of coolant).

Do a compression check. Check your plugs to see if one is cleaner than the others or one had a green tint to it.

If you are pushing coolant odds are its a head gasket.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

headgasket my car was doing the same thing about a week ago and i just changed mine
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:29 PM

If you had no symtoms like this before your coolant change there is a good possiblity that you just left air in the system. A air bubble can get stuck in front of the thermostat causing it to open late or not at all, air bubbles can also slow the flow of coolant from your water pump by taking up space in the fins reducing the volume of coolant. Also check your radiator cap. If the radiator cap is bad it will open at a lower pressure. The hotter the coolant gets the more the pressure builds up in the system, most caps will begin to release this pressure around 14psi, but if your cap is opening at say... 6psi, then when your car would normally just be warmed up at 6psi you are losing coolant through the cap into overflow. Or it could just be a blown headgasket. Good luck
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Sucks!!!! Any update Doug?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

My guess is it is air bubbles trapped in the system.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
Does your coolant have a milky brown substance in it? (pop radiator cap and check). Does your oil have any coolant in it? (drail oil and look for white traces of coolant).

Do a compression check. Check your plugs to see if one is cleaner than the others or one had a green tint to it.

+1

I've changed my coolant probably a dozen times... air in it or not I've never had an overflow problem.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Air pockets
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0

Per my OP there was no coolant in the oil, no oil in coolant. No traces of leaks anywhere.

Originally Posted by smp3000
Sucks!!!! Any update Doug?
Not yet. I bought a new radiator cap yesterday at the dealer. I'm going to check plugs and re-check the torque on my head studs in a few minutes. Then if I feel like driving anywhere with no A/C I'll get a compression check today.

Quick Reply: Coolant overflowing