Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why did you choose an EVO 8 or 9 over an STI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did you choose an EVO 8 or 9 over an STI

I might be back in the boat where I want an EVO. It would be an 06 EVO only or an 06/07 STI. I like the way the EVO looks a million times better even though I actually like the new STI front end. I heard that the EVO motor is more superior than the STI but the STI trans is alot better then the STI. Eithr way, I wouldnt do any major mods. So my question is whats the most and EVO and STI can handle HP wise and 1/4 wise on stock turbo, engine, trans, clutch...etc
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Ill be the first to say it lol. There are many threads on this topic
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
because STi's take it in the bum
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SPOOLED IX MR
Ill be the first to say it lol. There are many threads on this topic

yea, I was scared of that
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like you want the STI more. Just go out and drive both of them. I was having the same problem. I couldnt decide which one to get. After driving both of them it all fell into place.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Izzy
It sounds like you want the STI more. Just go out and drive both of them. I was having the same problem. I couldnt decide which one to get. After driving both of them it all fell into place.
I drove them both, I used to be a car salesman at a Mitsu and Subaru dealer. I actually like the EVO more, but the interior of the STI is what I liked a bit more. I guess Im looking for the right deal, but I would personally take an EVO
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally think that for the looks, Evo is better than STI. As performance and power, STI has more power but I guess it all comes down to handling. As far as what I know from research online, Evo handles a lot better than STI but it all comes down to how you see it. I have never driven an STI before so I wouldn't know how it drive. The reason is because I know that if I test drive it, I'll probably fell in love with it and if there is not enough time for me to find a better car during the search, then I'll end up buying it.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

because i test drove the evo first.

about 3 seconds into the test drive, i had to have it.

if i had gone to a subie dealer first instead of a mitsu one, there is a good chance i would have an STi right now.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:34 PM

I based my decision off just test driving both cars, and it wasn't hard to decide stock to stock which car is more fun to drive.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Looks, Handling, Mod freindly, more comfy
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

In your original comment, you will probably find more in favor of a IX than an VIII and since your on an evo forum an STI isn't going to receive top marks. The latest debate on here is the introduction of the X and how it compares to the IX. Motor trend has an interesting article on it. There is a ton of information on here to better educate yourself. I have to say I drive a IX and love it!
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I owned both

evo = overall is a better car
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

very original choice for a thread

people who cant make decisions for themselves ftmfw
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

i have an 03 evo8, my uncle has an 06 evo9, and my brother has an 06 sti. sti's got more power in stock form. my bro on his sti, added a turboback and ran mid 12's. no tuning, nada. the interior is way better, i'd say compared to an evo. but the motor is so hard to get to. changing plugs can take u time. the dealer wants 200plus for a plug change on an sti. on the other hand, evo's handle better, less understeer, and more mod friendly. very easy to work with but the interior is pretty cheap. the MR's looka little friendlier on the interior. the ride is very harsh, especially on non-MR models. MR models and STi's ride basically the same. little harsh but not as much as the standard evo model. if it were me, i'd go with an evo9. the 8 doesn't have variable valve timing while the 9 and the sti does. there's noticably much more lag in the evo 8 and 9 powertrain than there is the sti. the sti really takes off even at low rpms. but beware, you will be shifting A LOT in the sti. very short gears. even the 6spd in the MR's you dont need to shift that much and quick. 03 and 04 evo8s have a really harsh and hard clutch pedal compared the the 05 and up evo's all models. the sti brakes way better and you will notice it does even though both cars have the exact same brembo system, the sti has a shorter wheelbase.

edit: i forgot the mention the engines...
evo8: 2.0l cast iron block, aluminum head (non-mivec) forged pistons, rods, crank, and oil squirters
evo9: same as 8 with bigger coolant passages, MIVEC, upgraded turbo, slightly bigger 16g
sti: vf39 turbo, aluminum block and head, 2.5l with varaible valve timing. forged crankshaft but not pistons and rods. no oil squirters. virtually no noticable turbo lag!

i chose an evo because my uncle at the time (before he got a 9mr) bought an 04 sti.

Last edited by RedLanEVO; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

mee too, i had the sti that i traded to get my IX mr. The evo out handles, preforms the sti in every way. It looks way better too. The evo 4g63 engine is cheap to mod, and almost indestructible.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose an EVO 8 or 9 over an STI