Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Transmission Fluid Smell?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid Smell?

I had the car put in for transmission work about 2-3 months ago... said it was clutch abuse had them put back the car because i couldn't afford a clutch at the time.... picked it up drove it home felt great no grinding...... now when ever i drive it hard for maybe about 10-20 mins.... it smells like Diaqueen Fluid in the interior? and when you smell out side the car same thing... pulled the car on a lift and checked out the whole bottom of the car.. no leaks nothing? Drain and fill plug were in good shape... few questions

1. what could the smell be? and from where?

2. about to do a drain and fill again fluid recommended? and weight? i guess 75w-80? 5 speed 2005 VIII

Thanks
Smell worries me the most...
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Well I used nothing but mistubishi fluid, it's cost more but atlease i know that I got the right thing. Some said that Redline is bad some said it's good so it's up to you.

Does all of your ACD light, lite up all at once? Similar thing happened to me with the tranny fluid smell. When I looked at the dash, all three ACD lights lite up. Turn out to be broken transfer case.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

No acd lights... nothing on the dash... i've been using mitsu's fluid don't really like the way the tranny feels... because had the tranny work done and the grinding went away... 5k later came back... i've done the tranny drain and fill like 3 times now... i did it at 15k grinding went away for 5k came back did it at 20 and now i'm at 25 and its back again.... some say that redline makes it go away? Just wondering redline, ams?, royal purple? mobile one? maybe i should make a poll

transfer case dosen't whine or anything but i'll look into it again
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

I have no idea about the smell then. With only 25K you should still be under warranty right?

I heard that Mobil 1 tranny fluid is not good for our car. I heard that it's too slippery and our syncros needs a certain amount of friction for it to work properly. There's some that complains about Redline, but there's a lot that says good about them too.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

it is covered under warranty but i've had so many problems with warranty work that i'm feed up with taking it there... last time they said that the flywheel and the clutch and the transmission were seized on together and they had to cut the tranny and the flywheel inorder to remove it thus making me replace my clutch assembly....? makes no sense to me so when i told them to put it back together i thikn they abused the car more...
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

redline mt90 same thing as 75w-90?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

bump... where can i find redline?