Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

burning clutch...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burning clutch...

Hey,

I modded my Evo MR 06 three months ago. I changed aftermarket intake, UICP, LICP and exhaust. After that, there were a little smell from clutch several times. I thought i was normal. But, when I came back to my home today in the morning, I felt the clutch adjustment was released than before. it felt there is no friction gear and clutch. then, it burned with strong burning smell and smoke. it does not work at all.

I have question about replacing clutch.. my clutch was gone two hours ago with sell and smoke. I think I have to change my clucth.

Here is question.

Can I get a warranty for replacing clutch??

Does my insurance cover this? my insurace is all coverage. not liability.

is it better to go mitsubichi service for fixing it??

Thank you
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every answer to your questions is No.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

yea unfortunatly im gonna have to agree with AK. how many miles are on it
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

looks like you in the market for an aftermarket clutch. and you said the clutch just went suddenly after you modded the car? how many miles?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

yeah man, time for an aftermarket. You can get a fairly nice one for about the price of the install lol.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:02 PM

33000 miles on my car and my clutch is stock. not aftermarket..
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

what does full coverage has anything to do with your clutch? insurance covers collision damage, not mechanical damage, please use your judgement.

And with the little mods that you have, how can the clutch not last? did you abuse the clutch? I have 55k mile and I have more mods than you and still on stock clutch.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

my buddie has the same car as u and he has roughly the same mileage and had no problems with the clutch, got a tbe, intake and tune and a few weeks later the clutch had enough. stock clutch is junk. go aftermarket
Old Dec 7, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

There are a number of spelling and grammatical errors in your post so forgive me if I misinterpreted something, but I would make sure that your clutch pedal is properly adjusted. I think there is a set screw on the adjustment for the pedal and if the adjusting bolt is loose, you may not be fully detaching the clutch between shifts and burning the clutch up. If the adjustment is loose you may be moving the pedal further out of alignment with every use to the point where the clutch is not releasing at all. Even if you have absolutely abused and thrashed the clutch, you should not be having the issues you are having, something else is damaged or out of alignment.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 07:42 PM

Dont blame me. I am actually a newbie here. I had no ideas about this horrible situation. And It was first time my car broke down. So, I was asking, learning and taking professional advice . Now I got lots of advices. I think I have to buy some aftermarket clutch. I still have no idea about buying a clutch. I dont even know about a clutch component, flywheels and flexplate. I searched many threads and it is hard to choose an aftermarket clutch to me.
Anyways, thanks for replying.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ganghyung
Dont blame me. I am actually a newbie here. I had no ideas about this horrible situation. And It was first time my car broke down. So, I was asking, learning and taking professional advice . Now I got lots of advices. I think I have to buy some aftermarket clutch. I still have no idea about buying a clutch. I dont even know about a clutch component, flywheels and flexplate. I searched many threads and it is hard to choose an aftermarket clutch to me.
Anyways, thanks for replying.
What I was trying to say is that you might not need a new clutch... If you are burning up the clutch the point where there is smoke, there is something else wrong other than the clutch being cached, possibly the alignment is very off. If the car is even drivable, hustle yourself over to Illinois and get to AMS. As you say you have little to no experience or knowledge with clutches, let them tell you what you need and if you need a new clutch or not. Just be warned, if you do in fact need a new clutch and the installation, have a fat stack of cash with you to pay for the experience. With your minimal mods, you might want to take the car into Mitsu for a servicing, they may be able to tell you what's wrong at least under warranty, because AMS will undoubtedly charge you for determining what is wrong with your car. Good luck!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats normal for your stock clutch to go out around 30k miles and i know you drove hard after your upgrades!