Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Slid into a curb..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slid into a curb..

I was misbehaving in the rain last Thurs. and managed to slide my 2006 MR sideways into a curb. The left rear wheel took a pretty substantial hit, but surprisingly enough – I don’t think it’s bent. The curb appears to have just caught the edge of the rim and the tire took a good portion of the impact - I had to deflate the tire to clean out the curb pieces that got crammed in there.

Now have a few unpleasant developments; the car no longer tracks perfect - it pulls slightly to the right - and on right turns I hear a slight grinding coming from what I think is the left rear..

So the question is what have I done? Can an alignment possibly cure the tracking issue - or is this wishful thinking? Maybe a wheel bearing/hub causing the grinding??

Any constructive advice appreciated!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You probably have a bent lower control arm and possibly spindle.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 05:18 PM

Wizzo - thanks for the info - I'll disassemble to see what's going on with the grinding - but for the lower control arm/spindle geometries - is trying to have it aligned even an option?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

alignment shop will tell u exactly whats bad if u bent anything
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
if its bent in the back i think u have to just replace parts and chk for damage at where they bolt up
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Anytime you take a hit like that you need to replace your hub. It might not be grinding at the moment but it will start shortly. You can usually tell what's bent by looking and comparing it to the other side. I'd replace what's bent then take it to an alignment shop and have it aligned. I used to do crash jobs like that on Lexus's all the time. Colorado+people over confident in 4WD/AWD=$$ for me. Good Luck. Post up some pics if you want some help diagnosing
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

yup simply jacking car up adn lookign underneath at teh both sides will tell u clearly if u bent anything
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

I did something like this last year. There were 4 of us at a 4-way and no one would go so I got impatient and poked it a little too much and proceeded to slide into the opposite curb with my right rear. Nasty damage to my rim but had a local shop fix the rim (they had to weld material since it was banged in so bad) and do an alignment and thankfully that was the only damage.
Old May 12, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

I did the same thing (but the right rear wheel) when I first got my Evo and didn't know how to drive it.

My damage included smashing one of the vanes on the axle into the abs sensor that uses the vanes to detect axle rotation speed. Destroyed the abs sensor and broke one or more vanes. New axle + new abs sensor.

There is also a sub-frame that the lower arm bolts into. It's held to the frame by about 8 bolts. It can be shifted to the left or right by an impact. Once that happens, you'll never be able to get enough camber on the side that took the hit. You have to loosen the bolts and bang the sub-frame with a rubber mallet towards the side where you hit the curb, then tighten it back up.

I doubt you bent a suspension link. Those things are stronger than a lot of other stuff you would damage first, like the wheel bearings. What you probably did is rotate the camber adjustment bolt and lose all your camber. You may also have damaged the off center washer that goes in a pair of slots and is how you adjust your camber. You can see this set up by looking under the rear bumper. You should probably replace the camber-adjustment bolt (the off-center washer is an integral part of the bolt). It's cheap and easy. They get stripped anyway, by alignment shops overtorqueing them, since the are shaved flat on one side, to fit in the D-shaped hole in the off-center washer.

Speaking of the wheel bearings, I had to replace mine in the wheel that took the hit about 1 year after that. There were no symptoms of bearing damage at the time, but the hit shortened the life of the bearings. All my other wheel bearings are original after 6 years.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old May 16, 2009, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just posted a thread regarding grinding from left rear. Pull the wheel off and the dust cover and check everything out. The grind I had was occuring from one of the ebrake springs unsprung. just a thought.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:40 PM

i needed a new axle
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I slid into a curb over the winter in a bad snow/ice storm on a sharp downhill curve on worn Kumho's Was only going 15 mph too and NOT driving like Ken Block. I feel that if I hadnt been driving like a grandma I woulda been better off honestly.

My damage consisted of...ready for this? lol
steering rack snapped like a twig
Tie rod snapped
Tweaked front left bilstein
Front left wheel bearing and hub replaced & ABS sensor
Rear left ABS sensor replaced
2 bent BBS's (insurance wasnt happy about those)
There may have been more, but thats what I remember and thats 95% of it.

I went back to Mitsu 3 times after I got my car back complaining about a noise from the left rear which resembled a plane following me above 30mph and it increased and decreased in intensity with speed. I finally said screw this and ordered a wheel bearing/hub assembly myself and replaced it. That was my problem, and the whirring/pulsing noise went away. You said your sound is a grinding though??
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:20 AM

Yea I would just take it to an alignment shop and they should be able to tell you if you bent anything. How fast were you going when you hit the curb?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Over a year old folks
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:49 AM

i also slid into a curb in the winter time and cracked my back rite rim and ever since then my abs light been on and i have no abs i know this might sound stupid but is that mean my rear abs sensor shot and if so how much does this run to fix?

Quick Reply: Slid into a curb..