Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Help, ams or br not sure what do to some help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, ams or br not sure what do to some help

Okay so I have done my searches and have looked high and low, and it seems everyone has there on options about AMS or BR. I want to do some simple upgrades while maintaining a DD, this is what I am looking at doing, not sure weather to use AMS or BR, AMS is more expensive then BR but I really want to leave the garage with the best.

I have contacted AMS and got prices on there stage one kit and there stage two kit as well as a upgraded clutch.

stage one includes.

# Cone Style Air Filter with MAF Adaptor
# AMS Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust
# AMS In-House ECU Flash
# Autometer Boost Gauge with Carbon Fiber Gauge Cup

]Stage two has the following.

# AMS Upgraded Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade
# Smooth flow lower I/C piping
# AMS 3" Full Stainless Downpipe
# AMS 3" Test Pipe
# NGK BPR7ES Spark Plugs x 4 (For EVO VII-VIII Only)

these two kits alone are around 2900 and the clutch they want to install is 650.
then their labor coast is 90 and hour. The 90 an hour part where I think BR is going to be much cheaper, but I want the best. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have done searches so please do not replay with I need to search !
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what you need: It is called the BR Pure Power Package, which is a great name by the way, and pretty self explanatory, if you know what I mean.

Buschur Pure Power Package. At least I think they have this for the IX; I know they do for the VIII.

After this package, an E85 tune (with 1,000cc injectors) would be the next best mod.

Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

AMS FTW
Very good guys clean work and they altrady prove to have the fastest evo in the us
Old Jul 1, 2009, 02:43 AM
Evolving Member

You can't go wrong with either.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

There's no right answer here, both are great shops. I would probably go with the one that's most convenient.

I recently got the equivalent of a stage 1 AMS package except I substituted a tanabe medialion exhaust for the ams catback due to noise concerns. Got the cone filter and tune. I'm happy with the results - it pulls much stronger. While peak gains weren't that high, I did pick up about 35whp/50tq at around 3200rpm, which is great for daily driving.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor

If cost seems to be a concern for you.. have you thought about simply ordering the parts from either vendor and simply getting them put on yourself. Your only ordering bolt on parts. So that's not hard at all to install as long as you have some tools. If you have a buddy around the area that could help you out with this venture it will save you the labor rate of either of these shops.

Just a thought.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 08:43 AM
Account Disabled

+1 ^^^^^^ Saved me a lot of money
Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Get a Hallman manual boost controller for $100, whatever exhaust components and intake to start out and a tune... you should not have to upgrade the clutch for that power level. If it needs to be replaced already, and especially if you ever plan on running more power, such as upgraded cams, turbo etc. you may want to consider a twin disc such as Exedy.. you can find one for about $1450 from a vendor on the forum and it should be $500-600 for a local install. Some other fairly inexpensive items you can also find get the ebay style o2 housing for $100, a 3" downpipe for just over $200, a 3" test pipe for under $100, and plenty of nice 3" turbo-back exhausts for $500... the buschur style intake/or ETS (which I have) at or just under $200, Bushur or PPI ported intake exhaust mani (ant remember price but fairly cheap), Milspec 65mm TB, etc..... depends what your goals are for the car, but if you plan on adding all those extras down the road consider a twin disc clutch.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Also, if you are mainly sticking with basic bolt-ons a drop-in style panel filter in the stock air box works just as well if not better. I have a very lightly used Works panel filter for sale (they have a much larger surface area than the K&N and no harmful oil that can damage the MAF sensor)... Felt a difference over the K&N, only reason I switched to an open element filter was to work with my upgraded IC piping and supply enough air to my BBK Turbo, but if you are staying under 400hp you may want to consider this option as well- here is the link to my thread if you are interested:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ping-more.html
Old Jul 2, 2009, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PM sent
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:27 PM

ams
Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

AMS = well worth the money ...
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Booster said it! Can't go wrong with either, both are highly reputable companies!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just pick the one that's closest to me if you plan on having them do the installation. Either way you are going to get good results.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would just buy all the parts i wanted and install them myself just like i did. its not hard to install any of that stuff on your list and would save you sooooooooooo much money its crazy. i have guides on my website that install most of those parts walk thoughs cause when i got my evo a year ago i did not know anything nor do i have any ams br type shops around me so i had to install the stuff check it out and hope this helps
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3123213

Quick Reply: Help, ams or br not sure what do to some help