Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo/Tuner N00b questions.... please help!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo/Tuner N00b questions.... please help!!

Hi everyone. This is my first post... I am a new owner of an Evo X. I have never owned a high performance tuner before, and I don't really know too much about how to work on cars. So I figured I would turn to the experts with a few questions that I had. First off, I am looking to mod my Evo. What are some decently cheap and easy to do modifications? Like what are the first things I should do, and how much do they cost, how easy are they to install, and how much are they going to improve performance? Also, if I mod my Evo in any way, does that void my warranty?

I have also been reading about a list of common problems with the Evo. I share most of those same problems. The two that concern me the most is the rough shifting from 1-2, 2-3. Has there been a fix from Mitsubishi that has been put out yet? If not, does anyone have any first hand experience in correcting this issue? The other thing I'm worried about is this "factory reflash" that I have been reading about. How do I know if my car has received that? I don't really trust the dealership to tell me if it has been done. I was hoping that there was a way I can check myself? And if it hasn't, what do I tell the dealership in order to get them to reflash it? I heard that you can't just go there and tell them to reflash it.

These are my questions for the time being. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:14 PM

So I just saw the sticky about modding the evo.... sorry.... but could my other questions get some answers please? Thanks again!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Intake, TB exhaust, tune...just keep reading on this forum you will learn more than you think.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
See:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ssues-etc.html
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Jerky shifting is mainly caused by the operator! Try winding your rpm's up to 3400 from 1-2, pausing for a second and then release the clutch pedal! The faster you go, the faster you need to release the clutch! I recommend winding the rpms up at a decent speed until you get the shifting down! Good luck with the car!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

i would suggest starting off with a cat-back as a upgrade.. I run the AMS single exit catback with straight pipe.. i like that combo... awesome sound awesome upgrade.. cost round 950 otd...

or just get a intake.. that works too..

congrats on the evo!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 02:47 AM

Thanks for all of the info.... I think I am going to get a Cobb AP and a K & N High-Flow air filter for the time being. Flash to stage 1. Probably keep that for a while then move up to the TBE. I have learned alot from reading the forums constantly, and I think this is the best thing I can do on a limited budget.... Thanks again for all the help! And I LOOVVVVEEEEE my car to death, it is so fun!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:18 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

The best bang for your buck is a tune. The Evo X can gain a staggering 50-70 whp from a dyno tune. The tune will cost $350-$500 and takes less than 2 hours. If you add any mods to it after that you will have to get retuned though.

I had these same questions and I've finally decided on a Magnaflow cat back exhaust and a tune and that's it. Other parts will easily void a warranty so I don't wanna touch them for a while.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:46 AM

I Would go with just bolt-ons! Dont tune it. THAT WILL FOR A FACT KILL YOUR WARRANTY!!!!!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
cat + catback + tune = 80/20 rule for power
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

go with the easy bolt ons, like everyone else said. intake piping, turbo back exhaust, and get the car dyno tuned by a reputable tuner (there are quite a few on here, altho not sure who is in ur area)
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:09 AM

+1 for Cobb AccessPort...

Originally Posted by H8ted1488
Thanks for all of the info.... I think I am going to get a Cobb AP and a K & N High-Flow air filter for the time being. Flash to stage 1. Probably keep that for a while then move up to the TBE. I have learned alot from reading the forums constantly, and I think this is the best thing I can do on a limited budget.... Thanks again for all the help! And I LOOVVVVEEEEE my car to death, it is so fun!
I just got a Cobb AccessPort last week -- LOVE THIS THING. Best $695 bang-for-the-buck easy-no-brainer upgrade. Cobb claims a 19.3% HP gain / 19% Tq gain. I haven't dyno'd it before/after...but my butt-dyno confirms there is a noticeable bump in power across the board.

This is my second AP, I also had a 2005 WRX Cobb Stage 1. Cobb makes good stuff.

My suggestion - Cobb AP is a easy first-step. It's reversable. It's stealthy. And it has a great ROI. And as long as you stick to mods with existing published maps, it's "cheap". And if you ever change your mind - just un-marry it...and sell it on eBay...you'll get most of your $$$ back.

Look at the existing published Cobb maps - this may help you choose a mod-path:

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/mitsubishi/AP-MIT-002/EVOXMaps.html

A pure Cobb Stage 1 has zero modifications to the intake. The K&N may help, may hurt or leave performance unchanged. Why waste money? If you get AP, I'd recommend that you skip the K&N intake unless you are willing to do a custom map. Otherwise, choose a combo that already exists in the list.

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/mitsubishi/AP-MIT-002/MITSU_US_EVOX_08/Map%20Notes/Stage1%2093%20GSRv101.pdf

"Stage1 9 3 GSRv10 1....Hardware Requirements: Otherwise stock vehicle with a STOCK INTAKE SYSTEM and STOCK INTAKE FILTER ONLY. The addition of any other hardware may make the vehicle perform poorly."

Last edited by dcgsr; Jul 20, 2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry but the Cobb AP isn't a "bang-for-the-buck easy-no-brainer upgrade." I would say save your money and pass on the Cobb Ap and get a custom dyno tune. Why pay $1000+ for an AP + tune when you can just get a tune for 400 bucks? That seems like a "no brainer" to me.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:45 AM

Let's compare...

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
I'm sorry but the Cobb AP isn't a "bang-for-the-buck easy-no-brainer upgrade." I would say save your money and pass on the Cobb Ap and get a custom dyno tune. Why pay $1000+ for an AP + tune when you can just get a tune for 400 bucks? That seems like a "no brainer" to me.
If you read my post, I wasn't recommending AP + Tune. I was recommending stock AP $695 without custom-tune - I want to save H8ted1488 from spending money on things that might not help (if he chooses AccessPort).

Why best-bang-for-the-buck?

* If you change your mind, you can sell the AP (used APs sell for $500 - check eBay completed listings)
* It's proven by hundreds of cars, and not a one-off
* If you need to take your car in for warranty you can return to stock
* I can flip between 91 octane, or 93 octane fuel and change maps anytime
* I can do this anytime I want and don't need to visit a shop.

It also has some cool side-features

* If you leave your car at valet - it has a valet mode which reduces the boost
* If you take a long trip, it has a high-mileage map
* For long term protection, it can disable the car in an anti-theft map
* It measures 0-60, 1/4 time, and real-time dyno
* Live-Data monitor: RPM, Intake Air Temp, Boost Pressure, Baro Pressure, Abs Pressure, MAF, Ign Advance, Injector Pulse Width and many more!
* Data logging
* Reads Trouble Codes

If my car starts to blow trouble-codes...what if I need to take it in for warranty work? Will they detect a custom-tune? I'd rather not risk it.

AP gives me an out-of-the-box +57hp. Maybe I can squeeze a little more out of my engine with a custom tune. Maybe not. But I can do it in the comfort of my garage anytime.

Can a $400 one-off tune do any of the above?

I'll choose the $695 AccessPort vs. a one-off tune that I can't reverse without spending more $$$. That's why IMHO - I call it best bang-for-the-buck easy-no-brainer...

Last edited by dcgsr; Jul 20, 2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

I don't need an advertisement for Cobb Tuning or an e-infomercial on what it can do. I had an STi and I know all about Cobb...trust me. There is no maybe about it, you will yield greater results from a custom tune then you will with the AP Stage 1 map or any other generic map for that matter. It will cost the end user over $1000 easily. You can't run around on OTS maps forever. There will come a time when you will want to get the vehicle tuned. Whats the point of extracting "some" of the vehicles potential? Are you familiar with the phrase, "Selling Ice Cubes to Eskimos?" Well...

Last edited by Clark_Kent; Jul 20, 2009 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo/Tuner N00b questions.... please help!!