Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

modding an Evo VII GT-A

Old Mar 6, 2016, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Start a new post introduce yourself and find out
Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just bought a gta , and I'm trying to fit the paddle shift but I'm not 100% sure which wires I connect it to , anyone offer some help ?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
do a search, i remember seeing someone setting up a evo x paddle shift for there evo 7
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
do a search, i remember seeing someone setting up a evo x paddle shift for there evo 7

I found the post mate,but the pictures with it don't load anymore,so it's made it a little hard to work out the last parts
Old Jul 5, 2016, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Djcontrol
I found the post mate,but the pictures with it don't load anymore,so it's made it a little hard to work out the last parts
For future reference for others who try this:

I asked the dude who wrote the tutorial and he sent me this photo. Works fine, and you you don't need to have the steering wheel controls plugged in for it to work so test before putting it all back together. There are two red wires so be sure to tap the one with the black marks on it. And you have to hack the **** out of the surround.

The following users liked this post:
Djcontrol (Jul 5, 2016)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 05:34 AM

Thanks mate I did sort it in the end and transformed the car
Old Jul 5, 2016, 05:36 AM

Old Jul 6, 2016, 04:05 AM

Looks good, I've still got the stock steering wheel so there isn't that much space between the paddles and the wheel. Looks like the momo fits better.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 05:22 AM

I just bought a second Gand one from the bay,definitely looks better and more space,I did have to butcher the cowling though,but I bought an evo x one and used the bottom part with the standard top one..I then clamped it and was ok
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:47 AM

Hi I have brought a gta in silver about 2 month ago, love the car to bits too,do any uk owners know anywhere in the Midlands I can take my car to to get the timing belt changed? Mines done about 85k miles, I think is coming up for being done as I can see it done at 45k in the ridiculously huge amount of reciets and I'm guessing it needs changing every 50k on that basis...any help would be appreciated thanks
Old Aug 9, 2016, 01:23 PM

Nice! I have a 2006 Ralliart 1.8 turbo wagon Im hoping to convert using a VII or VIII shortly.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 07:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just bought a GTA as well!

Hi there, it is awesome soo awesome to finally have found some GTA related stuff. I just bought one with a unique dash that has TV subscription and a giant DVD player lol. Some of the info I have found regarding the stock horsepower and torque levels are definitely not true because it pulls faster than a manual 180hp Jetta by far and is more in line with a 300hp v6 auto mustang. I have the same goals as the original poster and will be posting some pictures of my red beast. As mentioned my dash and LCD display is different. I wanted to know if anyone has reprogrammed it before to English or what they did about it because it's not like the middle height average LCD display it is up top and accessed with buttons. I have soo many buttons on my console it is insane and a old heavy 2002 DVD player plus a micro CD player and the TV subscription service lol. Any neat and tidy inexpensive way to take out at least some of it? Oh and I live in Canada. Apparently they're quite a few GTAs here. I need to learn more about welding the wave spring in the auto. Nice to know they aren't a rare transmission.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Icecruncher
Hi there, it is awesome soo awesome to finally have found some GTA related stuff. I just bought one with a unique dash that has TV subscription and a giant DVD player lol. Some of the info I have found regarding the stock horsepower and torque levels are definitely not true because it pulls faster than a manual 180hp Jetta by far and is more in line with a 300hp v6 auto mustang. I have the same goals as the original poster and will be posting some pictures of my red beast. As mentioned my dash and LCD display is different. I wanted to know if anyone has reprogrammed it before to English or what they did about it because it's not like the middle height average LCD display it is up top and accessed with buttons. I have soo many buttons on my console it is insane and a old heavy 2002 DVD player plus a micro CD player and the TV subscription service lol. Any neat and tidy inexpensive way to take out at least some of it? Oh and I live in Canada. Apparently they're quite a few GTAs here. I need to learn more about welding the wave spring in the auto. Nice to know they aren't a rare transmission.
You mean use a 4mm thick wave spring under low reverse.
It's applied in P R N and 1st for only the first 10kph going up and back on on decel at 10kph
The welding job is the pins inside the planet gears of the 3 planetry sets
I use 4 planet gears in all my 3 planetry sets.
GTA and Airtrek have 1x 4 planet and the other 2 are 3 planet.
Weakest link after that is the ---- piston and pres plate thicknesses in the clutch packs.
With my box, I reflashed Big line pres etc into it.
There is a lot of subjects in my xml for converter lockup, pres and shift times.
Actualy Merlin and I on Sarurday talked about running a resistor and switch to activate the hot
map so I can reprogram the hot map for 8k race shifts in auto mode. Tippy is for circuit.
With just welding and a wave spring, but std clutch packs, you can reflash slightly more pres
to make your gears clamp a bit quicker. Too much will just bend your piston and pres plates.
Mitsubishi std pres etc settings are to protect the bending clutch packs.
To turn it into a strong race box, it needs beefing up. So do manuals and their crutch.
Evo X auto also needs 2 stronger clutch packs.
Everyone has their preference. I'm an auto person and builder.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 08:27 PM

In regards to the dash, I have seen ones like that in the GT-As but i think they are pretty rare. Maybe the Airtrek had the same setup and you can find aftermarket head units for them? I assume there were a lot more of them about. TBH retrofitting a more common evo dash in might be the easiest option. I had a japanese head unit in a JZX100 chaser I had and very quickly gave up on trying to get it to work, it was a nightmare and half of the features wouldn't work outside of japan.

I've also had my gear box reflashed for full line pressure shifts, coupled with the Evo X paddles its actually really fast shifting and fun. One annoyance was the learning capability of the transmission would always slow it down and I'd have to disconnect the battery to reset it and get the fast shifts back after a while. Has anyone found a way to stop this from happening?

The wave spring went on mine not too long ago so I had the wavespring and common welding jobs done without too much hastle, the gearbox and parts were used in a lot of vehicles. The hardest part was getting the shops to look at it, a few chalked it off as too much of a hastle to look at it even though they have probably done the same job 1000x's of times on a magnas.

Am interested in building the transmission further as I want to go E85 and maybe a bigger turbo (currently Evo 9 with a billet 18g), if anyone knows a good shop in Australia with experience on the east coast please leave a comment.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
jmn17 I'm in Sydney btw
Large Japanese dash in mine and I came across a very rare auto 300kph 10k taco Ralliart cluster
Maybe an option for the Evo 9 auto wagon. Has mph in the inner numbers
I put a black 03 Outlander 220kph cluster in my Airtrek
The learning map is lower, but doesn't alter shift points any higher than your highest map
Mine are all the same bar 1st in the hot map. I will be altering the hot map for wot race anyway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: modding an Evo VII GT-A