Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

modding an Evo VII GT-A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
modding an Evo VII GT-A

Hey all...i am a total newbie here so would like your help as much as i can get.

I have taken up a project to mod my friend's Evo VII GT-A. so far the engine is stock with a HKS Pod filter and Blitz NUR Spec R exhaust. it also has HKS EVC6 and boosting at 15.5psi

i would like to share the details of my plan with u and ask for ur suggestions and opinions

I have split the project in 2 major parts. 1st part is the valvetrain with the following upgrades:

Cosworth CNC Ported Big Valve Cylinder Head
HKS Camshaft Duration 264 (Intake & Exhaust)
HKS Cam Pulley
Tomei Head Studs

then i want to upgrade the turbo with HKS GT3037S turbo kit with the manifold and all with wastegate and upgrade to HKS R-type intercooler, and also use Skunk2 PRO series intake manifold with 68mm throttle body. Upgrading the fuel system with HKS rail, FPR, fuel pump and 1000cc injectors and throwing in a HKS Twin Fire DLI. getting rom from ecutek/flash (not decided yet).

we dont want to bore the block so not upgrading to oversize pistons. will stick to cosworth forged 85mm pistons and use thicker gasket to lower compression

at the end, we are expecting approx 425-450hp at the wheel @27-30psi boost.

looking for any suggestions/tips/opinions from the experts here
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

VII or VII GT-A wasn't available in the states, but it should be pretty much the same as VIII.

How accessible are US brands to you? Because most people here are more familiar with them than the Japanese ones.

It seems like you are going in the right direction but I'm not too sure on the turbo upgrade, 3037S won't be as torquey as FP green or FP red, but it would still be above 400wtq, which is nearing the double of stock figure, how strong is the GT-A transmission? Usually auto trannies are quite fragile and I'm not sure if it can handle 400+wtq when it is designed for about 200-230wtq.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Stock Tranny on this GT-A are not quite strong..Here in my country was made the fully Programable (Apexi Power FC) GT-A I think this one and one from AU are the only ones..The car was Stock Turbo and stock motor (injectors,cams,Etc) and the car got 350whp and the tranny didnt hold up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAq1ydaqmdw

So If you are planning on doing drag racing, this is not your best option...

GL
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:00 AM

@4Trouble....US brands are accessible to me. thats not a problem. about the turbo, as thats in the 2nd stae of the project, i still have plenty of time to research on that.

@aquita...i cant seem to find any definitive info on the GTA tranny as far as how much bhp/torque it can hold up. the car's not going to be a drag car. it'll be a street car with 0-100kmph times target around 4-4.5s
Old Sep 29, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to say that the transmission is probably going to give you more trouble than anything.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:19 PM

@aschold...bro..i know that the tranny is the biggest disadvantage. but what would be a theoretically safe approximation as to how much bhp it can hold without busting it?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Unless the user manual clearly states what the max recommended torque rating, it would have to be found through trial and error.

There is probably less than 10 VII GT-A owners on this forum, let alone modded ones, as VII was never sold in the states. VII GT-A is rare in Hong Kong, I'd assume its even rarer in Indonesia where the tax is like 300% instead of 100%... You will have to actively search for VII GT-A owners with mods, best bet would be yahoo.jp car auction or used car pages.

Even if the car is not going to be used for drag racing, or road racing / auto-x, it would still depend heavily on how the car is driven. A good example is how a stock clutch lasts over 50k miles for some, wheras some needs replacement after 7k miles for manual cars. If it is pretty much a show car where it would never see revs above 4k (ie for 3037S with no stroker, this means never get near the full boost), then it wouldn't even matter if your car's peak hp is 500whp.

Seeing the example shown by Aguita above, it seems like going above 300whp is quite risky already, so unless you are ready to deal with problems, it may not be a good idea to go much over 300whp.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:47 PM

u r right @ 4Trouble....the problem is the limited availability of GT-A. i read somewhere that only 2,000 units were produced. UK has GT-As i think, any UK GT-A owners here?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Well..I dont know that using the car for street would be a problem...this car was pretty hard used on drag making launchs (holding brake till making boost) of 26psi, and still the tranny held but not for too long..here in my country we have like 10 GT-A the one im talking about ran 12.3 @ 1/4 Mile..fastest GT-A here..also just to let you know this car can't use a Aftermarket ECU since the Stock one controls the Tranny..Believe that the making of this car Fully Standalone was a PITA..

I will contact the owner to see what on the tranny he blew besides the converter, I do know in fact that he bought new discs for the tranny on a Hyundai Dealer since this cars are Grey Market, Tranny Is Same as Santa Fe (old Model) ...

try better on lancerregister ,to see if you can get some answers there..GL
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

wao
so the evo7 GTA used same tranny as a Hyundai Sante Fe
thats a disaster
i am guessing the tranny can probably hold till around 350bhp before it give up
Old Sep 30, 2009, 05:44 AM

r u sure that tranny is same as hyundai santa fe??? GT-A comes with the porsche-derived INVECS-II tranny
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
post some pics of your jdm....
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Internal parts,I will confirm this later..but I do know that he bought the parts for the tranny on a Hyundai dealer..
Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:31 AM

thanks aquita...waiting for ur info

in the mean time, what do u all think abt the turbo? the 3037s should spool fast with the head upgrades? or should i stick to the fp-green if i dont take it past 300whp/300wtq. as it will be street spec, i dont want any lag/minimal lag
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

what ever you do steer clear of the skunk2 parts, so far all have to to not fit or work improperly, stock>skunk2

Quick Reply: modding an Evo VII GT-A