Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Sell the daily driver for a IX now, or keep daily and buy IX in a year?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell the daily driver for a IX now, or keep daily and buy IX in a year?

The situation is this; I have a 97 Subaru Legacy GT with 147k miles, I think I can sell it for $3500 w/o snow tires, $4000 with snow tires. I'll have about $4000 saved up in the bank in about 3 monts, so, that would be AT LEAST $7000 for a down payment on an 06 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR.

The original plan was to get the evo next year, and keep the legacy as a daily driver. I'd save about $10 on the insurance by keeping the legacy, but, the trade off would be maintenance on two cars, which would cost me more in the long run.

I don't drive much, mostly to and from work, I'd be racing the evo in autox on a bi weekly basis from April to October, everywhere else, I usually bum a ride off other people.

So, sell the Legacy, get the Evo sooner, or keep the Legacy, and get the Evo later? A friend with an STI thinks I should sell the Legacy, but, he has a STI. Either way, I'd be making payments of about the same amount.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

IMO - if you plan to autox the Evo I'd say keep the DD, just in case. Autox is certainly one of the easiest forms of racing as far as wear/tear go, but I'm guessing you take your car to get serviced since you called out maintenance costs (big assumption jump, I know).

Learn to do maintenance yourself, if you don't already, and save money. BTW - the only thing worse than a friend bumming rides is a friend with an Evo bumming rides! G/L with whatever you decide.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:49 AM

Definitly wait and keep the dd. The year wait you will see cheaper evo prices and when you do get you'll be able to keep miles off the evo. I had my 98 gsx for 2 years before I got my IX and I'm glad I waited. Its nice haveing a car you can just go beat around town in
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:50 AM

I do maintenance myself(already have done head gaskets on the legacy). I'll do everything on the Evo myself because no one in Montana will even touch one.

Another friend said I should sell the Legacy.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Montana, huh? I have family in Polson - what a great area!

I'd definitely keep the Subaru as the beat-around car, especially in Montana. 2 AWD ftw!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wait a year and then buy an evo. worst comes to worst you sell you DD next year
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:17 AM

I think it is much wiser to have a dd if you have an evo, but you can get a dd for much less than 4k. It probably won't last quite as long, and might be a pain to find something decent, but may be worth the consideration. I bought a beater for 1k, after looking for a couple months.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

I have an IX MR, and a 1992 BMW 525i, if I didn't have the BMW I would be dead in the water, no fun... The last 7 months I've been driving the BMW cuz my Evo blew the tranny (MR tranny blows hard and I only had aprox 360whp) you should consider an SE, it's 5 speed and has almost all the MR options and much more reliable... I had 29K miles when it blew, and it's not cheap to fix so I had to wait, it's in the shop right now, got swapped to a fully built 5 speed...

So imagine what type of a predicament I woulda been in if I sold my BMW last year like I was thinking... Keep the legacy and keep saving for the Evo later on...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have to agree have a secondary car with a evo never know whats going to happen. Not to mention when your doing major mods like head block tranny clutch etc installs car will be down for alittle bit. Need a back up ride to get to work etc. Never want to rush things.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yahu
IMO - Learn to do maintenance yourself, if you don't already, and save money. BTW - the only thing worse than a friend bumming rides is a friend with an Evo bumming rides! G/L with whatever you decide.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:19 AM

Well, I decided to sell the subaru, get the evo because I live litterally .25 miles away from work. If something does happen to it, I can walk to work till I can fix it, or get the money to fix it. I won't move off base for at least 1.5 years(one disadvantage about living in air force dorms), by then I'll be making more money, about to rank up to make even more money, and at that point, I'll look for something like an suv(prolly be a forester) to beat around in for those really crappy rain/snow days that I'd rather not drive an evo. I'm also going to keep it pretty much stock for the first year or so, learning to drive the car to its full potential, and getting the exterior looking how I want it, etc...

Thanks for the input. If didn't live .25 miles from work, I'd be keeping the subaru. That was one thing people kept saying when I was asking around the shop, they would be doing the same thing.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, 1/4 mile from work. Hell, you probably don't want to drive the Evo regardless as you would never get to closed loop. That is pretty damn close though, and having an Evo in Montana highways would be a lot of fun.

Good luck...keeping it stock for the first year. I once said the same thing!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:02 PM

Yeah, most day I won't even drive the evo to work, unless I've got something to do durring lunch or it is below 40 out. I'll prolly pick up a cheap bicycle to ride to work so I don't waste gas driving to work.

I'm looking forward most to autox. Prolly only mod for the first year besids rims and tires will be a cat back and tune.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
wow you can get 3500 on your legacy?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:39 AM

I'm hoping so...