Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Sold the VR4, evo time.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sold the VR4, evo time.

Hey guys, so I have my eyes set on an 06 MR with about 98k on it. I'm a little nervous about the high miles, and if any of you guys have tips on what to check out when i see it and what to do to it when i get home would be appreciated. I've read all the newbie threads and got loads of info there, but if you have anything else you think i should know i'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:36 AM

My Evo tuner friend says he wouldn't be concerned to much on high miles on a stock engine Evo (intake, cat back, not a problem). If it has a man boost controller, thats not good, tho.
I dunno, that just what he mentioned one time.

Last edited by student driver; Feb 5, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with a boost controller as long as the car was properly tuned for it.

With almost 100k miles on the car it will really come down to the previous owner and how he cared for it. As long as he stayed up on all the maintenance and didn't beat the hell out of it you probably won't have any problem at all with it. There are a few guys on this board who are nearing/past 200k miles on the stock engine even with mods and tuning.

First thing I would do if I were you is change all the fluids (engine, tranny, drivetrain, coolant, brakes, clutch), replace all the belts (serpentine, timing, balance shaft), and replace the ignition components (spark plugs, wires, boots...or get a COP system instead of the wires/boots).
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by student driver
My Evo tuner friend says he wouldn't be concerned to much on high miles on a stock engine Evo (intake, cat back, not a problem). If it has a man boost controller, thats not good, tho.
I dunno, that just what he mentioned one time.
SMH really?!

As far as your question I wouldnt be so concerned about a MBC. I would make sure that the 60k service was done, It costs anywhere from 1400-1800 depending on where it is done. Dont take the sellers word on this manner, get documentation. Make sure you drive the car, and go through all 6 gears. A common MR tranny issue is the 4th gear syncro. If your not overly familiar wiht the mechanics of the car try and bring it to a local speed shop to have a look at it. it shouldnt cost you more then a couple bucks out of pocket to have them give it a good once over.

G/L
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks Kracka, I should of been more clear on my post of what my friend said...and he said the same thing you did...he would be worried what tune they were running and if it wasn't done properly he would be afraid of engine damage and "....thats not good"
Old Feb 7, 2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Every bit helps. I just got out of a car that had a LOAD of reliability problems. I'd like an MR daily driver. But like I said it already having 98k miles
Makes me nervous. It's also 500 miles away. So I won't be able to check it out much before I buy it.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Where is it located? It's possible you could find a shop or locals in the area to give it a pre-inspection for you. I've done it a few times for people which buyers are usually fine with.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 02:14 PM

It's in tampa Florida. I'm in north Alabama. I know with the vr4 we had to rebuild the tranny and replace the clutch a few times by 100k. They have a mr for sale here in Huntsville with 46k miles. But they want 26k for it. I'm trying to stay below 20