Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

FP Green or Red on a DD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Green or Red on a DD

I was looking to upgrade my turbo to an FP Red or Green. My car is currently my DD, but I also plan to track/drag it as well. I wanted some word from those who own and MR or SE and have one of these turbo's on their DD. Whats the life expectancy from these on a DD? Also, does anyone have hardcore issues on their DD with any upgraded turbo for that matter.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:01 AM

For the RA, go with the green. I got an MR, and I opted for an HKS 7460 about the same size turbo as the green but it has an faster spool.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Krisko
I was looking to upgrade my turbo to an FP Red or Green. My car is currently my DD, but I also plan to track/drag it as well. I wanted some word from those who own and MR or SE and have one of these turbo's on their DD. Whats the life expectancy from these on a DD? Also, does anyone have hardcore issues on their DD with any upgraded turbo for that matter.
I wouldn't go with the FP red for many reasons but mainly for this:

1) If you decide to go with the Red keep in mind that the power curve in the lower RPMS(traffic) wouldn't be that great and you will have tons of lag. With that being said in order to get the max of the FP red you are talking about having to run high boost because other wise it is a total waste to buy such big turbo and not being able to get all the power because you are not running at its designed efficient boost(High boost). If you run more boost now you have to run a much stronger clutch and when you run a stronger clutch they are typicallly harder on the pedal so not that cool when dealing in traffic.

I will personally take a smaller more managable turbo that spools faster and gives me much more power sooner at lesser boost and is more comfortable turbo to deal with in traffic. It is your decision though. If they make a HKS 7460 turbokit for your car that would be my choice.
Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The X is a 3,500 lbs heavy car with a 2 l low compression motor. The turbo makes it come alive. Replace the turbo with a slower spooling one that makes less torque at the same revs and it's definitely noticeable. I have a FP green, cams and is tuned (Cobb 400s kit) and this is a very nice street setup. I cannot see how a bigger turbo would be enjoyable for daily street driving.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:53 AM

I agree. Go Green

Our powerpand from the factory leads us to very low end torque and a powerspike quickly following. Just check out someone's stock dyno map you can see the torque curve. That, coupled with all-wheel-drive gives our car a unique advantage.

If you want to go big top band, go for it. But hey, if you're doing that, why not pick up a supra or something instead? That's just me.
Old May 2, 2011, 12:39 AM

definitely an FP green. It's a quicker spool and if youre DDing it, then im guessing its in town..
Old May 2, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to have to side with the above posts. The HKS 7460 kai would be the best choice at around 2200-2500, for quick spool. The bbk light and fp green would come in second at around 2000 ea. The hks will have quicker spool by about 200 rpm than the other two listed and will push more air, will reach higher hp levels, will better maintain boost, and have a quicker spoll recovery. My vote would be to go with the 7460 and be done. Close to 400 whp can be had with bolt ons and 91 octane, similar spool to stock. It's a ball bearing turbo, it will hold better boost, and spool faster than the other stock frames. Could take you into the 11's with cams. This is the tubo that I will be going with when the time comes. I have alot of other stuff to buy first and honey do lists, and lots of convincing before I order mine though. Lol.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:15 PM

I would suggest the fp green or bbx lite for daily driving. I enjoy the down low torque my bbx lite provides. The top end pull ain't too shabby either.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
red
Old May 3, 2011, 09:09 AM

Quick question not to hi jack.
How would the stock block hold up against a mid-sized turbo making low 400?
Could the block take daily abuse?
Of course with a good professional tune.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red.

Originally Posted by GrenEggz
It should hold up just fine.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GrenEggz
This was my other question as well. I heard the fp reds and blacks shorten the life of your motor/tranny.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Krisko
This was my other question as well. I heard the fp reds and blacks shorten the life of your motor/tranny.
Driving your car hard will shorten the life of the entire drivetrain, so you better not even drive the car!
Old May 3, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

I have a 9 MR with a Red, 1250cc BlueMax's, 3.5 ETS Intercooler, Injen upper and ETS lower piping, JUN BL TBE with no Cat, MAP Ported Exhaust Mani, Cometic Head gasket, ARP Head studs and conservative tune at 27lbs of boost. My power is 380hp and 330tq. Had to pull timing from my exhaust rattle but now it's fixed. I must say I disagree with lag and non usable power on the streets. My Red spools fast and full boost is at 3500rpm's. I plan on using my car for Road Course and I think the red is a great turbo and has minimal lag for the size it is. You just need supporting mods for the quicker spool. But I'm sure the green would be a great turbo as well for Road Racing. Apples and Oranges. This is my opinion, not the gospel.

Last edited by soon2bEVOIX; May 3, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old May 3, 2011, 02:57 PM

I have an Old School FP Green on my 06 MR. Look at my Sig for mods. I love having this turbo. Response is great. You can pass anybody you need to for DD haha. Also Autoxing is amazing with this turbo. Here is my dyno chart.

Quick Reply: FP Green or Red on a DD