Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is a tune really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a tune really necessary?

I know this sounds like a n00b question, but I am serious with this. At a very basic level, for the basic bolt on mods, is a tune really necessary? Seems like the community is divided on this between those who say its necessary, and those who have been running said parts for X thousand miles without issue. I'm a new X owner, but not a stranger to turbo, and i have no desire really to push into the 300+hp range. My X serves as my main daily driver, and i'm perfectly happy with its stock performance, but of course bolt on modifications is always a simple easy way to enjoy it more without breaking the bank.

For stuff like

-Open air filter instead of air box
-Upgraded hard pipe or samco style intake pipe (assuming you use the stock maf housing)
-Upper Intercooler pipe
-Catback exhaust

I find it hard to believe that upgrading any of the following will do anything detrimental to the car without a tune, or even make it any less reliable. To me, it just seems like all it will do is increase HP slightly. The tune is really to bring out the mods to their max potential.

Correct me if i'm wrong, with proof/explanation
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting thought-- you have had other turbo cars--did you feel it necessary to tune them? To address you question--basically, ( you word) I dont think you need a tune with those mods--however with no parts added a tune is worth 20+ hp by itself and the X runs pig rich stock. So you improve breathing Air box side and increase exhaust flow--cat back, and it leans it out and should net you HP ( so that part was correct). Will it continue to run rich, dont know, will it run lean, dont know. Will you see an hp increase, likely. Will it be big, not likely. Will it cause damage of some kind--remains to be seen, dont think so...but its not my car. If it was me, I would get the tune so I know where I was when I was finished. Without it your just guessing and hoping you guessed rt. my .02
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

/thread
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:02 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I would get a tune on a completely stock car.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Tune. Mod. Tune. Mod. repeat ad nauseum.

The REASON for it is so you get the MAXIMUM benefit of the mods you do. Otherwise your car will just simply "ignore" greater air flow or exhaust flow, for example.

The ancillary benefit is to track what mods gave you what power and/or issues. Same thing as diagnosing a problem. One thing at a time and assess.

Even just doing a Cobb AP tune is better than nothing, though obviously a full dynotune is the best.

You ask why SHOULD you, I ask why NOT?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rnm
I would get a tune on a completely stock car.
+1! Our cars runs rich out of the factory. The tune will lean it out a bit more. changing the AFR slightly to make it run a little bit better. Especially you are putting some bolt on. My tune got rid of my idle problems too! Best money I ever spent on my car. Why spend the money for bolt ons when you cant get that much out of them without a tune?!? That's like buying an expensive suit and not make any alterations to make it fit! my .02
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:00 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I would not do the intake, that will actually cause you to lose performance in the midrange without a tune. The cat-back without a tune won't do much. The upper IC pipe should help, though. To me, all those mods are pointless without a tune anyway. If you don't want to get the car tuned, just leave it stock. It will drive and run better like that.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Tune is the most important mod you can do, even on a stock car.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
I would not do the intake, that will actually cause you to lose performance in the midrange without a tune. The cat-back without a tune won't do much. The upper IC pipe should help, though. To me, all those mods are pointless without a tune anyway. If you don't want to get the car tuned, just leave it stock. It will drive and run better like that.
+1
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car was over boosting and having idling issues. Once I go the tune it ran almost perfect.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

Best analogy is tailoring your clothes.

Yes, you can buy a bunch of separate pieces such as a great suit, shoes, shirt, tie, cuff links, etc.

But if you get a tailor to customize all the pieces you purchased separately to make it fit YOU best, you get the maximum look.

The same is true for cars and aftermarket parts. And if you're not too convinced that a tune is good or necessary for those parts, why are you so sure those parts do anything at all to help your car's performance? Wouldn't that, in essence, make you (the general you) a ricer?

Once you start putting on parts that are remotely related to air/fuel mixture of any kind, you start risking negative performance on your vehicle. These are, of course, internal combustion engines.

The benefits of tuning a car have been well-documented for decades now. Just because you don't happen to believe it doesn't make all the data go away. Don't let your desire to not spend more money take you away from tuning the Evo. You're better off paying for a tune with stock parts on rather than bolting on those parts and hoping everything's ok.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fittest
Best analogy is tailoring your clothes.

Yes, you can buy a bunch of separate pieces such as a great suit, shoes, shirt, tie, cuff links, etc.

But if you get a tailor to customize all the pieces you purchased separately to make it fit YOU best, you get the maximum look.

The same is true for cars and aftermarket parts. And if you're not too convinced that a tune is good or necessary for those parts, why are you so sure those parts do anything at all to help your car's performance? Wouldn't that, in essence, make you (the general you) a ricer?

Once you start putting on parts that are remotely related to air/fuel mixture of any kind, you start risking negative performance on your vehicle. These are, of course, internal combustion engines.

The benefits of tuning a car have been well-documented for decades now. Just because you don't happen to believe it doesn't make all the data go away. Don't let your desire to not spend more money take you away from tuning the Evo. You're better off paying for a tune with stock parts on rather than bolting on those parts and hoping everything's ok.
+1,well put I couldn't have said it better
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:49 AM
Evolving Member

Unhappy

Def. tune if you got money to spend and want to be sure it runs nice.
The respectable tuner shops here in stockholm charge about 1000$ or more and they only use ecutek. Just too freakin much
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Not saying a tune isnt important. I WILL be getting tuned, theres no doubt about that. The statement basically was made to say that will a car really be dangerous with the parts on, or will it only do nothing/at the worst lose some HP?

A lot of these parts (exhaust, intake) were made before a lot of shops were doing tunes on a regular basis. So thats to be said then that Injen, AEM, etc released these parts knowing that they would damage your car? 8-10 years ago dyno tuning wasnt a regular thing for most people, yet there were evos, there were turbo eclipses, and most always recommended the order of events.........bolt ons to add some power, then some type of fuel tuning with a WB and Boost gauge to bring the rest of that power out and smooth out issues, NOT to fix "damage" you may have done to the car. Just seems like with the X, a lot of members put a lot of stress on NOT doing bolt on's until you can get to a tuner immediately. My question is always just Why? If i wait another month before i get the car tuned, am i going to kill it? I just find it hard to believe that it would do anything negative. Sure it might not do anything positive, but thats understandable.

I just think bottom line putting them on, and not immediately running out and getting tuned is not going to be detrimental to the car. Once again, not trying to sound ignorant (although i know the basis of this board is to jump down everyone's throats a lot of the times, i'm guilty as well).

Last edited by Sicktght311; Apr 29, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

You won't harm a car by not getting a tune, with bolt-on's that is. But without a tune, you're not getting the most out of the car you can. But if you want to install parts but can't get tuned for a week or so, don't worry about it. Tune's are important to get the most performance possible.

Quick Reply: Is a tune really necessary?