Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

NOOB here and I can't wait for an answer!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOOB here and I can't wait for an answer!

Ok guys, here's the low down.. I have had my Mitsubishi Lancer OZ rally for about a year now and man do I love it. When I bought it I knew that it had some problems which I would fix down the road, but recently there has been a problem that i couldnt fix and I was wondering if you guys could help. When accelerating, I hear this faint whistle noise, almost like hearing a dog whistle. I hear it when i open the throttle body or press on the accelerator regardless if its in gear or in netural. My car is a manual btw. I also just recently got this P0507 error when i took the car to autozone they told me that it could be a couple of things.
  • A vacuum leak
  • Leaking air intake after the throttle body
  • EGR valve leaking vacuum
  • A faulty positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve
  • Damaged/failed/dirty throttle body
  • Failed EVAP system
  • Failed IAC (idle air controller) or faulty IAC circuit
So the first thing that i did was try and get the easy and cheap problems first.. i check the hoses that i could see (im an amature by the way) and there was non that i could see that were cracked. I check the throttle body and it was kind of dirt so i decided to clean it. after i re attached the air intake duct the noise was still there. I then checked the EGR and it was really clogged up with gunk but it was fine other than that. I check it for its vacuum power and it was 100% working that i could see. so i put that back on and i still noticed that the noise was there. I dont exactly know what a PCV is or an EVAP system, but at autozone they were trying to get me to buy this 750$ IAC and they said that might be the problem. The whistling noise sounds like its coming from behind the surge valve kind of where the EGR was but i cant exactly pinpoint the problem.

The noise isnt really effecting the car from what i can tell but i can hear it every time i shift up and accelerate , or rev the engine in neutral. The noise primarily comes when i just start to rev the engine if i keep my foot on the pedal at a constant rpm the noise will go away but if i press the pedal closer to the ground the noise will return then fade with the acclamation of the engine. Please if anyone has any sugestions id be happy to reply with any more questions!

sincerely -killdust