Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Holy **** this thing is fast!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy **** this thing is fast!

So, been a member for a while. Had my 09 Lancer ES for over 2 years and honestly was never really informed on the difference on Evo's and Lancer's before I made that purchase. Well back in January I made the plunge and picked up a used 2010 Evo X (GSR). I've already done a "check out my new car" thread, so consider this a kind of informal review from the month and a half of ownership.

Comfort:
I'll be completely honest with everybody here, I'm a pretty hefty guy. 6'3 and around 330lbs, and by no means is it "muscle" . I will say that the initial adjustment to DD'ing the Evo was finding my comfort zone within the car. Realistically though, I still don't think I've found it... However, on a positive note, I absolutely L-O-V-E the Recaro's. Even though I'm a larda** and can barely fit into them, they will seriously lock your a** into place.

Interior:
Truth be told I'm sure we all know that interior design is not one of Mitsubishi's strong point. I will say this, they have improved since the realease of the X in 2008. I say this because I have friends and know people who own 2008 models and 99.9% of them rattle like Honda motor hitting v-tec. Overall, I would def say that the interior is improved over the Lancer I came from, but, that's not really saying much.

Exterior:
Not a whole lot to say here guys, I personally think that ALL Evo's look sexy. I know there was a lot of hate on the X when it was originally released, but I think Mitsubishi get 5 stars in this department.

Handling:
Sweet baby Jesus. This thing goes round corners like it's on rails. I have been in quite a few cars, and this is by FAR the best at taking corners. With the right tire setup it really scares what this thing would be capable of. Mitsubishi did a bang up job on the S-AWC system on this car. I have put my car through a turn at 40-45 mph on a turn that my old lancer couldn't do at 15... Again, not saying much, but I wasn't trying to put anybody else's life in danger, so I haven't really had a chance to REALLY push it.

Engine/Power:
Ahhhh yes, the section you've all been looking forward too. I'm pretty pessimistic so I'll give you guys the negative feedback first. The engine (in stock form like mine is now) does not sound very intimidating. Even when you get on it, in stock form the engine and exhaust note are not the "symphony" that you would think to be on your dream car. (Obviously with the right amount of money you can fix that ie, intake, exhaust, and so on) But for what I do on a daily basis, it's not too bad, almost like a sleeper. As far as power goes I have gotten into the throttle fairly often trying to get used to the car. It is quick, no doubt about that.
Numbers
-The quickest 0-60 time I've gotten(personally timed, with a 5mph roll out, and DEF not 2-stepping it) the best I've done is about 6.5-7 seconds.
-WAIT WAIT WAIT BEFORE YOU FLAME ME HEAR ME OUT!!! In my defense, I was slow shifting, and kind of taking my time. And no, I refuse to 2-step launch my car because I really don't feel like dropping $2k into a clutch job. Not to mention, launching is HORRIBLE on the drivetrain. I'm sure in the future I will, but for now, not gonna happen....
In conclusion to the engine section, the thing is effing fast. If you want something that needs to get up enough speed for a short on ramp or pass a slow car quickly in a passing zone, this car will work wonders. (just make sure you're in the right gear to avoid turbo lag....)

Transmision:
*Le sigh..... This is one area that Mitsubishi could have done better at. Since I have owned the car I have been plauged by griding gears, not wanting to go into gear sometimes(only once), and just overall notchiness... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will get better in the warmer weather. There is an entire thread realated to this topic so I'll let prospective owners, bored people read for themselves... For the record, I don't have any experience with the MR SST tranny, but from what I'm told, it is amazing stuff.Gas mileage:
This is not a hybrid. Keep in mind you MUST RUN PREMIUM!!!, which where I live is averaging about $4.30 a gallon. (MD, DC, NOVA) I don't usually have a heavy foot so I did a little test. I filled up on one tank of gas and babied it, basically stayed out of boost as much as possible. No high speed runs, no flooring it, and I got 307 miles before I absolutely had to refuel. I did the math below
Conservative driving
-307 miles in one tank
-I put in 13.1 gallons of fuel
- do the math and you get 23.4 MPG combined.
-Also keep in mind that my weekly commute to work is about 80% highway and 20% "city" driving. So that had a large role to play in it

"Spirited" Driving
-147 miles in one tank
-I put in 13.5 gallons of fuel
-do the math and it equals 10.8 MPG combined.
-on a side note regarding "spirited" driving. I made it to work on time 2 days in a row. After that I had to fill up.....
My conclusion is to drive conservatively during the week and on the weekends open her up a bit. If I drove spiritedly all the time, I would not be able to pay rent

Trunk Space:
Non existant

Will it baby:
I personally couldn't tell you, however I have seen a handfull of Evo's (8-10) with baby seats in the back. Good luck with the stroller though. Shouldn't be a problem though, your arms will be super strong from having to force it into gear. *Please refer to Transmission review.*

Other People's Reactions:
This is what I look forward to when people tell me that my car is slow, boring, ricer. I have had several positive and negative comments from people so far and I won't divulge into all of them but I will tell you a short story of my old redneck buddy from the military.
-He swore up and down that foreign cars were crappy, went on about "Oh man you shoulda bought a stang, that peece a s*** prolly gon' braaake down after a while" So I took him for a ride. Long story short he wants an Evo now. His reaction in my passenger seat as I took a sharp turn at about 50, and then accelerated up till I hit the speed limit was priceless. He went directly for the "oh s***" bar, arms flailing all over the place. His last words before we pulled back into his driveway were "Holy sheet this thangs fast" I then showed him the motor, somewhere in the back of his head I'm sure he was expecting to see a V8, V6 or even a straight 6, but much to his amazement after I explained that my motor was about the size of the jug he spits his tobacco into he was sold.
-Keep in mind that you will have people who don't like you, will call you a ricer, blah blah. It's best to just ignore those guys. Beacause a true car enthusiast appreciates ALL cars.
Conclusion:
In conclusion, the Evo (X in my case) isn't a very practical car. You get crappy gas mileage, the interior kind of sucks, odds are you'll replace the clutch after about 10k miles, your gf/bf/wife/husband will hate you because you spend 3.5 hours in a day trying to figure out which exhaust (or other mod) you want, and when you finally make up your mind, you change again. You're going to want to mod it and that will eventually cause you gf/bf/wife/husband to want to burn the car down. You can't fit in the car very well unless your a skinny asian girl/boy, and there's not a lot of room, so if you're a homicidal maniac you couldn't get very many victims/volunteers in your trunk.

But I have to say, this car is amazing. Owning an Evo has been a dream of mine since I first saw it when they were released here in the states. In my heart, this car is the best thing to happen to me since internet ****. I love this car and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing. To all you potential owners, if you want it, go for it. It will be the best decision you've ever made.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice review. I got a good chuckle out of the title too! lol And I agree, purchasing my EVO was the best decision I have ever made!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:14 PM

Any pics of the car?!

Enjoyable read.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SABSquid
Any pics of the car?!

Enjoyable read.
To be honest weather here hasn't been very good since I got it. It will be nice out and then the next day it will rain. Once it warms up and stays sunny for a few days, I'll get it cleaned up and add some more pics to the show and shine section. For now the only pic I have is the one I put in my other "just got my car thread"
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...cked-up-x.html
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:50 PM

im 6"2 and i weigh 210LB's and hoesntly i feel you on your comfort. I had an accord coupe v6-6spd that was pretty spacious and going to the evo it was hard to adjust cause my knee starts the cramp up( dont know if you know what im saying) and it sucks. But i love the car. great power, planning on being full bolt ons by the end of this month and i only got the car mid FEB.
As far as gas, i have 600 miles on the car and omg it sucks compared to what im used to. i get ~170 miles per tank and i fill up 10.9 gallons @$3.999 93 octane. Im used to getting ~450 miles on a 15 gallon tank. =D

Last edited by spatel133; Mar 2, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

I can't even begin to imagine do full bolt ons at this point. I'm still just trying to get used to the power the car currently has before I start adding things on. I def want to get a cat-back, but for now, I'm in the process of moving and just bought the car, so money is to tight to do anything.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mshilto89
Had my 09 Lancer ES for over 2 years and honestly was never really informed on the difference on Evo's and Lancer's before I made that purchase.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Throttle
Yup, I'll never live that one down. Funny short story of it is, bought it, then 3 weeks later a buddy of mine took me for a ride in his X, I was like WTF?!?! Why can't mine do that? Shortly after that I joined EvoM. My life has changed since then
In all reality, I knew what the Evo was, but didn't know the difference between the Evo and Lancer. So it's my own fault.

Last edited by mshilto89; Mar 2, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 05:35 AM

I'm a big guy too and it shocked me how comfortable they are. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a X one of these days.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 07:25 AM

So it's around $4.30 down there too huh? It's only getting higher!
Old Mar 4, 2013, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SloopDogg
I'm a big guy too and it shocked me how comfortable they are. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a X one of these days.
I can say that the VIII's and IX's seats were a LOT more forgiving than the X's seats. With that being said, I'm not sure if the seats are molding to my a** or my a** is molding to the seats, but they do seem noticably more comfortable than when I first sat in them. It could just be me getting used to them as well
Old Mar 4, 2013, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raybrant
So it's around $4.30 down there too huh? It's only getting higher!
Was in the center of DC the other day and saw a station that had premium for $5.17. Unbelievable... I don't usually go there that often but when I do I make sure to fill up BEFORE I go.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 04:04 PM

pics or it didnt happen lol jk

nice review!
Old Mar 4, 2013, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Now imagine if you rode in a nicely modded Evo 8 or 9... you'd sell your X! lol
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW I made a quick walk around vid and put it on youtube a few weeks ago when the sun was out. Nothing special really. I am happy to announce however, that the weatherman is saying we are supposed to be getting something like 6-12 inches of snow on Wednesday!!!
*Fingers crossed*
Sorry for the crappy vid, it was something like 19 degrees F outside, wind was blowing, and I decided to put my fat fingers all over the microphone and lens of the camera....

Quick Reply: Holy **** this thing is fast!