Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo 8 or LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 or LS1 Camaro

I'm torn between the two cars. I plan to save up for one and hopefully buy it within 2-3 years. 400 WHP goal and DD in mind. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains alot in the Autumn, Winter and early spring and snows sometimes. Cost is a large consideration.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by omgblood
I'm torn between the two cars. I plan to save up for one and hopefully buy it within 2-3 years. 400 WHP goal and DD in mind. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains alot in the Autumn, Winter and early spring and snows sometimes. Cost is a large consideration.
I vote camaro. You will get to 400hp MUCH easier and it wouldn't even be breaking a sweat. Since cost is huge, it's gonna cost good money to make 400whp on the evo. If you don't have e85 near you, good luck, you won't be doing it on pump unless your really pushing that little turbo.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well thats up to you but your on an Evo forum and asking what to go with lol AWD is just amazing
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Ive had an ls1 camaro making 415rwhp. That was thru a 9in which by itself was 3500 dollars. I bought my evo and have never looked back. The interior on the camaro was cheap and falling apart felt like crap the seats were awful. The gas mileage was unbelievably bad. My evo is just such a better made car. The transfer cases are not the most rugged without building but thats about 400 vs a 3500 rear end on the camaro (stock rear end has been known to break on stock power levels with stock motor). The evo makes amazing power for cheap im at 360awhp with not a whole lot of power adders and on pump gas where as e85 will be over 400. Thats my .02
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A rwd, fairly compact, sports-sedan that weighs over 4000lbs. I've yet to see something about the new camaros that isn't just the same old bigger engine, wider tires, new trim, more weight, and more amenities. You could probably put an ls1 in the trunk of an evo and it would weigh less than a camaro.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by rongdoer
A rwd, fairly compact, sports-sedan that weighs over 4000lbs. I've yet to see something about the new camaros that isn't just the same old bigger engine, wider tires, new trim, more weight, and more amenities. You could probably put an ls1 in the trunk of an evo and it would weigh less than a camaro.
super well put lots of power and lots of weight get you nowhere
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I would get an evo because of the most all around performance. It can still be fast in a straight line and offer superb cornering speed and AWD for those winters. The camaro on the other hand will do well only in a straight line.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW we have a member selling his PRISTINE 2005 evo 8 with like 26k miles and a beautiful orange paint job and he's keeping his ls1 camaro.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

2 totally different cars, ls1's respond good to modifications and can be fast at the 1/4 with simple mods like full exhaust, intake, gears, tune, good tires and you're in the 12's, a guy I know had a Ws6 and thats all he had running 12's. Now the Evo can be an all around car autox and 1/4, an Evo with bolt ons and an Fp red or probably an Fp green can get you in the 400hp with 93oct maybe even 91oct. Get the car that fits your needs.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

It depends on what you want to get out of the car. If you want raw straightway power, the camaro would be the better choice for you. If you want to haul people around, better gas milage, superb cornering; the evo would be the better choice. With tasteful mods, you could get the evo to keep up with the camaro.... But the evo would cost more in mods than the camaro would for 400 hp, if thats your goal.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If you're planning buying the car in 2-3 years... might be good to ask that question closer to that time. Not being a dick or anything, but I'm sure availability then will be different from now.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

i had a 2010 2ss RS with mods, still not as great as my evo
4 doors, AWD good MPG cant beat it
the interior was better thou, this was a 6 speed Camaro fully decked out thou.

Go evo, seriously im glad i traded my camaro for mine
Old Apr 18, 2014, 02:20 PM

Having been a Trans am/Camaro owner in the past, and now being an 03 Evo owner: I have to say if given the option, Evo 100%. It's much more quality, has 4 doors, more power potential overall. I still really do like the F-body cars, but they're dated and have a lot of limiting factors(rear end namely).

The only advatange of the Camaro would be price point. Nice ones with less than 100k can be had for 8-9k depending on the area. Evos, 12k at the cheapest.

Go Evo, you will not regret it!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:46 PM

The only thing good about an LS1 Camaro is the LS1. So this really should be Evo vs LS1 swapped car and if your not an excellent garage tuner I wouldn't delve into that territory.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:25 AM

Buy a stock evo or one with light bolt mods. Doesn't matter if its 400hp or not. Imo you will get much more enjoyment with the evo with the nm roads and weather than a camaro

Quick Reply: Evo 8 or LS1 Camaro