Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New member in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New member in Michigan

As the title states, I'm a very new member to this forum and to forums in general. I accidentally posted this a few days ago in the wrong section, so I thought I'd move it here:

Hello!

I'm 23 years old and I'm just about to finish up my bachelors degree in electrical engineering. I've got an engineering position lined up at Ford for when I graduate, and I am actively looking to purchase a 2006 Evo MR for myself as a graduation present. I have been reading through the newb forums and all of the stickys, and I've decided that I want to keep this future car at around 350 WHP. Because of this, I think the 6-speed Evo is the way I want to go.

I have driven two sti's with wheel horsepower in the low 300's (2006 and 2007), and I think I would like a little more power than that. I got introduced into the 4 cylinder turbo game during high school when I owned an SRT-4 Neon with a larger FMIC and full exhaust. I owned this car for close to 3 years and took great car of it- usually babying it but doing some spirited driving from time to time. Since then, my parents have been generous enough to lease me cars with discounts from my dad who works for Chrysler. I've driven a Jeep Cherokee and a Chrysler 200 in the last 4 and a half years, and I'm definitely ready to get back into a manual turbo car like an Evo 9.

I have cash ready to buy an Evo 9 (preferably GG, TB, or WW), but I'm not in a huge rush seeing that my current lease isn't up for another couple of months. Ideally I'd like to buy the car stock and do a turboback exhaust, injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, electronic boost controller, lower ICP, possibly a larger FMIC, and a pro tune. But I'm open to buying a car with a few bolt-ons.

So that's my story! I look forward to becoming an Evo owner in the (hopefully) near future!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 07:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Welcome aboard & thanks for posting

Hope your plans work out & it would be great to get you into an EvO9 (I own one as well. 2006 RS)

I too was looking at the STI back in the day, and was set on getting one. One of my work associates was a huge DSM'r & worked on EvO's part time. He brought an EvO9 to work & let me drive it. He explained the differences between the STI / EvO. Iron block, closed deck head, simplicity in making big pwr & I was sold

Ive owned it for 10 years & still going

Joe
Old Apr 16, 2017, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe, thanks a lot for the welcome! I've been researching both the sti's and evo's for a little over a year now and I've tried to educate myself as much as possible on these cars. I have no allegiance to either brand- I'm simply looking to find an enjoyable daily car that puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

However, at this moment in time the Evo 9 seems like the better fit for me, and I'm on these forums everyday trying to learn more. I think what sold me on the Evo was the bang for buck power increase of the 4G63, while the hot topic item- ringland failure- of the EJ257 scared me away from Subaru.

I started a thread in the "Evo 1-9 General" category to discuss some of the differences in the drive between the Evo 9 and the earlier gen STI's because I have driven a few STI's but I haven't had the pleasure of driving an Evo yet. I'd love to hear a few more of your thoughts over in that thread!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 07:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Will do Aaron