Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Almost got scammed buying a '15 GSR with 7k miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost got scammed buying a '15 GSR with 7k miles

Long story short; found a really clean '15 GSR with 7k miles at a local Mercedes dealership,
checked out the car - test drove it, looked for any damage repair - looked clean without any obvious damage.... was negotiating price - then I got this gut feeling that I should sleep on it.

When I came in the dealer gave me a copy of the carfax, which showed clean - the next day I bought my own carfax for $40, an accident report was now showing a front end collision a little under a month ago.

Now I don't know if the dealer forged a carfax copy, or carfax was just delaying reporting the accident, but either way I just dodged a 33k mistake...

If anyone is curious the evo is @ MB of knoxville TN...

I am sure you all know but a wrecked / accident evo is not worth the same as a clean evo..

-anyway, just wanted to let you know, if you are in the market stay away from the silver evo in knox, unless you are ok with a wrecked one or can negotiate it down to 25k OTD.

here is the vin;
JA32W8FVXFU020152

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...2W8FVXFU020152

https://www.mercedesofknoxville.com/..._filters=false
Old Oct 8, 2017, 08:54 AM

Now that I think back to the day; the salesman was really shady about the whole scenario - I asked him 3 times if it was ever in accident, he swore it was not. Then I asked him if he thought it was possible that it may have been in aciddent, he swore up and down that it was never wrecked. When I asked him why the vin sticker was missing he said that's how evos come.

my 2009 s2000 has vin stickers on pretty much ever body pannel - front bumper, rear bumper, etc - the evo was missing these stickers, maybe mitsu doesn't put them on?

The search continues, buyers beware :\
Old Oct 8, 2017, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
That's also a lot of $ for a base GSR. Keep looking.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 09:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello and thanks for posting up

Thanks also for the info on your potential purchase. Keep us posted on your progess

If you have questions, let us know (BTW, the gentlemen who posted above me is an X owner & one of our X gurus. Feel free to PM him if you have a detailed X question)

Joe
Old Oct 8, 2017, 09:29 AM

Thank you both,

How much realistically should I be paying for a base gsr without the SSS package? (i am looking for like new, or low mile under 30k)

im in Knoxville TN,

also looking for recommendations on how not to get scammed in the future, this was pure luck....
maybe invest in a paint gauge meter ?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 09:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoXIGbash
Thank you both,

How much realistically should I be paying for a base gsr without the SSS package? (i am looking for like new, or low mile under 30k)

im in Knoxville TN,

also looking for recommendations on how not to get scammed in the future, this was pure luck....
maybe invest in a paint gauge meter ?
Im a 9 owner so not too familiar w/X prices. Our 8s & 9s have certainly appreciated just a bit

Please comb through the X for-sale threads here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sale-cars-sale-275/
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I'd imagine a used 2015 should be about 27-30k depending on options with under 30k miles. It's the least desirable Evo 10 because of no Recaros.